Chefelf.com Night Life: Han Solo to be in ROTS...almost - Chefelf.com Night Life

Star Wars Fan Convention

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Han Solo to be in ROTS...almost

#1 User is offline   The Other Icon

• New Cop
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 08 May 2005 - 11:00 PM

According to Entertainment Weekly:

Early versions of Lucas' script called for a 10-year-old Solo to play a small but important role.

But never fear folks Lucas may have dropped this idea, but he made sure to put an even stupider one in its place. Yeah you guessed it:

Chewbacca shows up,

yell.gif Thus the galaxy grows smaller still. DAMN YOU LUCAS!

To read the full article: http://www.ew.com/ew...1800_0_,00.html

#2 User is offline   Grand Moff Lebowski Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 08 May 2005 - 11:12 PM

A young Calrissian may be around omewhere in some version too.

Lando: "Dad, can I borrow one of the Falcons to go to the Sabaac tournament?"

Grando:"No, son. We are in the process of buying a Tibanna Gas mine on Bespin and I may need the Falcons to transport the Union leaders from the Miner's Guild."

Lando:"Aww...jeez! That is SO not Wizard!"

#3 User is offline   rock_dash Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Interests:Anime, manga, Dungeons and Dragons, Video games, other general and specific geekery

Posted 09 May 2005 - 12:46 AM

QUOTE (lebowski @ May 8 2005, 08:12 PM)
A young Calrissian may be around omewhere in some version too.

Lando: "Dad, can I borrow one of the Falcons to go to the Sabaac tournament?"

Grando:"No, son.  We are in the process of buying a Tibanna Gas mine on Bespin and I may need the Falcons to transport the Union leaders from the Miner's Guild."

Lando:"Aww...jeez! That is SO not Wizard!"

Grando? Grando?!

AHAHAHAHA!!! XD

*dies laughing*
I finally got a sig!

Oh God, I had no idea! How can they keep it going? You mean, Return of the Children of the Corn etc? Children of the Corn 2? Children of the Corn and the Prisoner of Azkaban? I Know What You Did With The Children Of the Corn???? Yes, it's horrible!!!!
-Some guy on IMDB.com just finding out that there was more than one Children of the Corn movie

#4 User is offline   Storm Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 09 May 2005 - 02:24 AM

I think a younger Han Solo would have been far more ridiculous than having Chewbacca in the movie. At least it isn't going to be a baby Chewbacca, and it's not like Chewbacca can say anything that we can understand anyways.

I also really don't see the problem of having Chewbacca in ROTS. You hardly know anything about him or his people, so what is the harm of including a Wookie related story? And weren't most people crying because Ewoks replaced Wookies in Return of the Jedi?

This post has been edited by Storm: 09 May 2005 - 02:25 AM

#5 User is offline   Veer Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 09 May 2005 - 02:31 AM

QUOTE (Storm @ May 9 2005, 12:24 AM)
I think a younger Han Solo would have been far more ridiculous than having Chewbacca in the movie.  At least it isn't going to be a baby Chewbacca, and it's not like Chewbacca can say anything that we can understand anyways.

I also really don't see the problem of having Chewbacca in ROTS.  You hardly know anything about him or his people, so what is the harm of including a Wookie related story?  And weren't most people crying because Ewoks replaced Wookies in Return of the Jedi?

Just that in a Galaxy of 10 thousand + star systems, it's a small small world afterall.

#6 User is offline   rock_dash Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Interests:Anime, manga, Dungeons and Dragons, Video games, other general and specific geekery

Posted 09 May 2005 - 02:35 AM

Plus, I think with Chefelf's reveiws of the Holiday Special, everyone's a little afraid of wookies at the moment dry.gif
I finally got a sig!

Oh God, I had no idea! How can they keep it going? You mean, Return of the Children of the Corn etc? Children of the Corn 2? Children of the Corn and the Prisoner of Azkaban? I Know What You Did With The Children Of the Corn???? Yes, it's horrible!!!!
-Some guy on IMDB.com just finding out that there was more than one Children of the Corn movie

#7 User is offline   Storm Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 May 2005 - 02:59 AM

QUOTE (Veer @ May 9 2005, 02:31 AM)
Just that in a Galaxy of 10 thousand + star systems, it's a small small world afterall.

Given the popularity of some of Lucas' new species such as the Gungans or Geonosins, I think staying "in a smaller world" is probably a good move. I've been lead to believe that most people like Wookies. One of Chef Elf's complaints from Episode I was that it may have been better for the Gungans to have been Mon Calimarian's...a species we are more familiar with. Isn't including Wookies in ROTS doing just that?

#8 User is offline   Paladin Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 May 2005 - 05:16 AM

In a way, yes. But you have to remember this: George Lucas is more or less trying to produce a set of movies that he always wanted, but could not do so before.

In the original ROTJ, he wanted wookies, as it is mentioned earlier, but he could do that due to technical difficulties. Now those difficulties don't exist, so he wants to create a movie with wookie warriors as he always wanted!

#9 User is offline   StarWarsIsUs Icon

• Awesome Possum
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 May 2005 - 08:07 AM

GL has made the galaxy into a small little town where everybody knows everyone else.
SecretShadow (SuperShadow's main adversary)

Endor Holocaust
FIND OUT THE TRUTH

#10 User is offline   snaithbert Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 09 May 2005 - 12:54 PM

QUOTE (Paladin)
George Lucas is more or less trying to produce a set of movies that he always wanted, but could not do so before.

I guess we're pretty lucky that George couldn't make the movies he wanted, back in 1977.

Otherwise the original trilogy would have sucked as well.

This post has been edited by snaithbert: 09 May 2005 - 12:54 PM

#11 User is offline   littlejerryseinfeld Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 09 May 2005 - 12:54 PM

QUOTE (Storm @ May 9 2005, 02:24 AM)
And weren't most people crying because Ewoks replaced Wookies in Return of the Jedi?

it would have made more sense to include wookies in the OT because chewbacca was a relevant character!!

the fact is, lucas dropped the wookie idea, and created ewoks strictly for marketing reasons, which is dispicable.

#12 User is offline   Veer Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 09 May 2005 - 01:05 PM

QUOTE (Storm @ May 9 2005, 12:59 AM)
Given the popularity of some of Lucas' new species such as the Gungans or Geonosins, I think staying "in a smaller world" is probably a good move.  I've been lead to believe that most people like Wookies.  One of Chef Elf's complaints from Episode I was that it may have been better for the Gungans to have been Mon Calimarian's...a species we are more familiar with.  Isn't including Wookies in ROTS doing just that?

Species are one thing, individuals another. Suprised that you can't see that.

Besides, I like Ewoks.

Chewbacca, Baby Greedo, Baby Boba, Landos Father, Jaba, lets all sing now.

#13 User is offline   Just another wretched fan Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 May 2005 - 07:11 PM

why was it so hard to put wookies in ROTJ? Aren't they just tall ewoks?

are 6'7" extras that much more expensive than 4'5" extras?

#14 User is offline   StarWarsIsUs Icon

• Awesome Possum
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 May 2005 - 07:16 PM

No, JAWF. It wouldn't have cost him that much more money. He just thought Ewoks would be cute... and cuddly... and people like cute and cuddly... so he made alot of more money that putting Wookies in.

I HATE GEORGE LUCAS! I HOPE HE FALLS IN LAVA!
SecretShadow (SuperShadow's main adversary)

Endor Holocaust
FIND OUT THE TRUTH

#15 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 10 May 2005 - 01:42 PM

The whole "budget constraint" thing is hand-waving nonsense. In THE APARTMENT, Wilder made the office seem bigger by having the desks get progressively smaller in the background. Similar fakery could have made tall wookiees out of men as short as 6'. And hell, how many would you need? Cameron budgeted ALIENS on the promise that he could portray an entire swarm with only 6 alien suits, and he pulled it off. Lucas made Ewoks because he knew more kids would want a teddy bear than another series of action figures.

Frankly, the whole argument about how Chewbacca was too technologically adept for his species to be savages, and Lucas's apparent interest in having an army of savages fight the Empire - nature vs technology being a running theme - is more credible, but I still think it's a lie to cover the marketing. Let's see whether it holds up in ROTS: will the wookiees be shooting off guns and fixing space ships, or will they be savages. My bet is the latter, and Lucas will forget all of his earlier justifications.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size