Chefelf.com Night Life: The most unlikely emperor - Chefelf.com Night Life

Star Wars Fan Convention

Page 1 of 1

The most unlikely emperor A children's book.

#1 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

• Knows All The Girls Named Lola
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Tyranny

Posted 08 May 2005 - 10:46 PM

Palpatine is an imperial senator.

He likes to plot. Plot, Palpatine, plot.
shifty.gif
He made up a plan to take over the republic. It was not a very good plan.
sick.gif
Palpatine's plan was to blockade a planet and cause a chrisis in the senate.
ohmy.gif
But he wanted to make Amidala sign a treaty that would make it legal. Then there wouldnt be a chrisis anymore and he could own Naboo and somehow this would be very bad, for some reason!
crying.gif
Palpatine didn't know why he wanted to own Naboo except that it was shiney!
Palpatine loves shiney things!
wub.gif
But instead Amidala escaped and made fun of the people he sent. Palpatine's army tried to kill her.
wacko.gif
But Palpatine would later need her to ask for the vote from the senate, so he really shouldn't have done that. Maybe he was sleeping at the time?
sleeping.gif
Then Amidala got to Corruscant and asked that he become chancelor. But even after that he kept trying to take over Naboo, because of it's shinyness. This confused the people a lot.
huh.gif
They didn't know that Palpatine liked shiney things. Later, Palpatine started a war for no reason with an army that popped out of nowhere, to fight another army that also popped out of nowhere. Somehow this led to him becoming the most unlikely emperor and this made Palpatine very happy.
biggrin.gif
But it made the viewer very, very mad.
pinch.gif

The End.

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.
- Deucaon toes a hard line on gay fetus rights.

#2 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

Posted 09 May 2005 - 01:29 AM

Stay tuned for the second book based off the plots of the PT:

"The most unlikely war"

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.

#3 User is offline   Storm Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 May 2005 - 01:38 AM

I was always given the impression that Darth Sidious instructed Nute Gunray to specifically blockade and invade Naboo because Palpatine was some type of a representative from Naboo. As he states in Episode I the invasion situation would generate sympathy votes so that he would be brought into power. Also, he didn't become Chancellor until the invasion was over so he needed to extend it as long as possible.

I don't see any problem with it. Although I don't fully understand the whole "vote of no confidence" thing, I'm really not interested in looking into the issue further. It seemed to be a logical way of getting into power. I am more so annoyed with things like Anakin blowing up the Trade Federation Droid Control ship.

This post has been edited by Storm: 09 May 2005 - 01:40 AM

#4 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

Posted 09 May 2005 - 01:43 AM

But, as I pointed out, who would have called the vote if they had successfully killed or detained Padmee? And why did he need sympathy votes if he could just cloud their vision? And why would anyone give their government over to a guy who's home just got its ass kicked. That would be like Roosevelt and Churchill handing over allied command to Petain out of sympathy.

#5 User is offline   Storm Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 May 2005 - 02:12 AM

It is possible, that if Padme was killed or detained, that Palpatine, a representative of Naboo, would be given power to call the vote of no-confidence himself. I see this as a reasonable assumption given that Jar Jar is allowed to fill in for Padme in Attack of the Clones and make a critical decision.

I also suspect that many species, such as Toydarians or whatever Jabba is, are not influenced by force mind tricks. Therefore, it would not have been reliable for Palpatine to have just used his powers to "cloud their vision" and force them to vote for him.

Lastly, I don't think we can compare this situation to anything that has occured on Earth. In Star Wars, we have respresentatives from thousands of planets in a single room cooperating to some extent. On Earth, when was the last time people from EVERY country were together in the same room and getting along reasonably well? Hmmm....how about NEVER!

In a galaxy where species from different planets get along, I would expect more compassion and thus expect people to be sympathetic for a representative from Naboo. And keep in mind that is peace was present for 1000 years, that this type of compassion would be required for that peace to last. Palpatine decided to take advantage of this.

#6 User is offline   Just another wretched fan Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 May 2005 - 10:46 AM

look, you're both right.

the scheme itself was fine, in theory, it was just presented to the audience poorly. We don't need to know the boring plot details. It's TMI.

The characters should just relate the important parts of the politics to us through diaglogue then get back to the fun stuff. We didn't need to know the politics in ANH. Just tell us that "The emperor dissolved the senate and that the regional governors had direct control over their systems". Don't show us. Please.

#7 User is offline   littlejerryseinfeld Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 09 May 2005 - 11:53 AM

QUOTE (Storm @ May 9 2005, 02:12 AM)
It is possible, that if Padme was killed or detained, that Palpatine, a representative of Naboo, would be given power to call the vote of no-confidence himself.  I see this as a reasonable assumption given that Jar Jar is allowed to fill in for Padme in Attack of the Clones and make a critical decision.

don't you get tired of explaining lucas' piss-poor storytelling?

you explain away a terrible piece of storytelling by referring to another terrible piece of storytelling...

having jar-jar 'fill in' for all-important senate hearing is totally ridiculous:

"Uh, yeah - I can't make the emergency meeting; so Jar-Jar here will fill in for me. Now remember, Jar-Jar... don't do anything stupid. Like bring down the Republic or anything."

#8 User is offline   Magee Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 09 May 2005 - 02:32 PM

I dont know guys. I kinda like the political thing. Its the one good part of PT I think was well done. I think we could have a little more on who the Trade Federation is and what their motivation is, and I could REALLY do without the never ending references to the US (eg, term limits, amendments to the constitution, and the Supreme Court).

But I think that the invented conflict that has Palpatine playing both sides is fitting and mature for the Emperor.

#9 User is offline   floppydisk Icon

• The Amazing Bag-Man!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Movies. Books. Video Games.

Posted 09 May 2005 - 02:57 PM

Well, I don't know about all you guys, but I quite liked JM's book. Make more!
QUOTE (Theodor Herzl)
If you will it, it is no dream.

#10 User is offline   ernesttomlinson Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 May 2005 - 03:10 PM

I wonder if Lucas even knows what a "vote of no confidence" is. It is a feature of parliamentary governments, such as the House of Commons: a motion of non-confidence, if approved by the majority of the Commons, requires the majority government either to resign or to call for new elections (that might end up giving another party the majority of course.)

The term "Senate" in Episode I does not imply a parliamentary government but let us assume that it does. The Chancellor then would be the head of the cabinet of the majority party in the Senate, after the manner of the British Prime Minister.

It is worth mentioning, however, that the most famous Chancellorship in history was an appointed position, appointed by the democratically elected President von Hindenburg. However, von Hindenburg couldn't arbitrarily select a Chancellor; whoever it was had to come from the party or coalition that had gained the majority in the Reichstag. Not all parliamentary governments are the same. However it is true in all, so far as I know, that a motion of non confidence must lead to new elections and a possible shift of power in the parliamentary body.

Of course we see none of this. Amidala proposes the motion - nobody even seconds it - and the next thing we know Palpatine is Chancellor. Weren't there any elections? Let's assume there were. Palpatine, then, in manipulating Amidala into proposing the vote of no confidence, must have known that he (or his party, but there don't seem to be any political parties in the prequels' Republic) would have a parliamentary majority. If he knew this, why couldn't he have forced the vote at any time?

#11 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

Posted 09 May 2005 - 05:27 PM

The political sub plot was needlessly convoluted and over complicated even to the point that noone could grasp it and somehow no matter how much the Jedi fuck up his plans Palpatine wins anyways. Why? Just because.

And here's another question. What power to stop the blockade does the republic hold? The supreme chancelor doesn't have an army at his command and he already sent two Jedi, which is, apparently, about 2% of the republic military. What else could he have done, picked up a blaster and gone into combat against them?

Palpatine: You're not doing enough to save Naboo!

Belorem: I told them to stop!

Palpatine: Why havn't you sent in the army?

Belorem: We don't HAVE an army!

Palpatine: Sure we do I can pull armies out of my ass at any moment!

Belorem: This is insane!

Palpatine: Alright thats it I move for a vote of no confidence.

#12 User is offline   Mnesymone Icon

• Champion
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Food, books, movies, history, languages, religions (though I'm an atheist), miracles of nature and marvels of technology.<br /><br />Particularly: steak, the Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, The Dark Ages in Europe, the 'created' languages, the mythologies of defunct European cultures, fish and cars.

Posted 09 May 2005 - 10:31 PM

2 Jedi being 2 percent of the military?

Actually its 2.5% if you look closely. So the Chancellor was actually risking a patload by sending them out there.

What was the Republic supposed to do about Naboo (even if they weren't tied up in procedures) if they had no army?

#13 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

Posted 10 May 2005 - 07:04 PM

Maybe Palpatine had a MacGuyver-esque plan that involved a holo-projector, a paper clip, some of those worms from Amidala's bedroom and a few gallons of blue milk.

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size