Star Wars Fan Convention

• (2 Pages)
  • +

The Diminishment of the Force

#16 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 08 May 2005 - 11:40 AM

Well, maybe Motti had it right. It was an Ancient religion, not Practiced (but certainly Preached,) for a thousand GENERATIONS. 20,000 years qualifies as Ancient.

There are churches which HIGHLY value tradition and beautification. MORE So than in their earnest service of the cause. There are other diversions. Still, there you'll find some believers in every congregation (Obi-wan, Emperor rolleyes.gif )

#17 User is offline   CowboyCurtis Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I lose interest in more things each and every day as things grow more and more mediocre and substandard...

Posted 08 May 2005 - 11:47 AM

The 900 year-old Yoda became complacent; i mean for all those years the Republic was at its height.

Not gonna buy it.... the Yoda I know from ESB would've been above all that. In his mind the Republic doesn't matter, only the ways of the Force.

Ernest... Helena----Bravo!

This post has been edited by CowboyCurtis: 08 May 2005 - 11:47 AM

Flying Ferret

Battle for the Galaxy--read the "other Star Wars"

All I know is I haven't seen the real prequels yet.

#18 User is offline   Invisible Hand Icon

• New Cop
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 08 May 2005 - 04:59 PM

the Yoda I know from ESB would've been above all that. In his mind the Republic doesn't matter, only the ways of the Force.

Well of course, Yoda learned from the mistakes he made in the PT. It is clear that the Republic and the Jedi are dysfunctional, even Yoda admits that the Jedi are arrogant and too sure in their ways. The Jedi and the Republic wouldn't have crumbled if they didn't have any weaknesses.

#19 User is offline   Mnesymone Icon

• Champion
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Food, books, movies, history, languages, religions (though I'm an atheist), miracles of nature and marvels of technology.<br /><br />Particularly: steak, the Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, The Dark Ages in Europe, the 'created' languages, the mythologies of defunct European cultures, fish and cars.

Posted 08 May 2005 - 11:14 PM

"Well of course, Yoda learned from the mistakes he made in the PT. It is clear that the Republic and the Jedi are dysfunctional, even Yoda admits that the Jedi are arrogant and too sure in their ways. The Jedi and the Republic wouldn't have crumbled if they didn't have any weaknesses. "

Pretty weak, wouldn't you say? Yoda admitting the Jedi's arrogance was stupid - his sometimes wise/sometimes dumb-as-a-doorknob act in the prequels is fairly lame - as for the Jedi and the Republic being dysfunctional and crumbling, the degree of dysfunction is extraordinary - it makes us wonder why it took so long for Palpatine to crush it, rather than marvel at his cunning in crushing it.

And as for 'of course' - don't say it. The whole point of this forum is that there is no matter of course.

This post has been edited by Mnesymone: 08 May 2005 - 11:15 PM

#20 User is offline   Grand Moff Lebowski Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 09 May 2005 - 01:00 AM

The problem is this, "Why should we have any sympathy or nostalgia for the Jedi, or look back on them reverently, when they failed at their one main function: the protection of the galaxy?"

Even when I was little I always had a problem with this. I used to ask myself, "What is so great about the Jedi if the Emperor is greater than they are?"

So my question is this, I am sure that some of you have asked similar questions about the OT (Whats so impressive about the Jedi?), what had your answers been?

[/quote]

They were the guardians of peace. Thinkof it as police. If all of a sudden there was a unified, conscious effort to kill every cop in the country through political corruption, fear and an elite army bent on killing them, we can't fault the police for dying. Same with the jedi. They couldn't possibly face an army bent against them. They tried to stand for what was just and got clobbered. Simple.

Is the Emperor greater than they are? Obviously not. But he did catch them unawares and got the better of them for a bit.

#21 User is offline   Lord Aquaman Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Movies, comic books, some mythology... basically anything that's larger than life.

Posted 09 May 2005 - 09:50 AM

The diminishing Force...

OBI-WAN: "Listen, and understand, Darth Vader is out there. He can't be bargained with, he can't be reasoned with, he doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear, and he absolutely will not stop, ever, until you have been seduced by the Dark Side of the Force!"

PADME: "C-can you stop him?"

OW: "I don't know... with this diminishing Force, I don't know."
I am the Fisher King.

I'd like a qui-gon jinn please with an obi-wan to go.

#22 User is offline   Mnesymone Icon

• Champion
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Food, books, movies, history, languages, religions (though I'm an atheist), miracles of nature and marvels of technology.<br /><br />Particularly: steak, the Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, The Dark Ages in Europe, the 'created' languages, the mythologies of defunct European cultures, fish and cars.

Posted 09 May 2005 - 06:50 PM

Bloody hell that was funny.

Good one, Aquaman.

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size