Chefelf.com Night Life: i dont know where you get your delusions... - Chefelf.com Night Life

Star Wars Fan Convention

• (14 Pages)
  • +
  • « First

i dont know where you get your delusions... midichlorains made easy!!!

#196 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 31 May 2005 - 07:58 PM

using MCs at all was still a cop out.

they are as scientifiaclly sound as saying " a wizard did it"

at the very least...
THEY HAVE NO PURPOSE, AND THEY WASTED FIVE MINUTES OF FILM TIME AND TWO HOURS OF INTERNET TIME...

i'm walking away....
i know i'm right, and i'm right without trying...

gushers can continue to scratch away to defend their wonderful trilogy, but it's a waste of my time to try and save those who are totally lost.

MCs turned the force from taoism to scientology....

and scientology is lame...

and if anyone here subscribes to it... to bad.

se ya.

#197 User is offline   xenduck Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:to inspire you vast and cool intellects to regard Star Wars with more sympathetic eyes.

Posted 01 June 2005 - 01:12 PM

well if you KNOW you're right then i KNOW im right. many of the truths we cling to are based largely on our own point of view. someone once said that if two men agree then one of them isnt necessary. c'est la vie.
Officer! officer! quick! all my money was stolen by a man in flannel!

#198 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 01 June 2005 - 08:56 PM

you didn't even adress the taoism to scientology remark...

but i can see this devolved to a last remark competition...

so all i can do is hope someone locks the thread before any one else says anything...

wink.gif

#199 User is offline   Failureboy2 Icon

• New Cop
  • Group: Junior Members
  • Interests:smoking cigars and pipes, playing computer games, writing, buying stuff

Posted 01 June 2005 - 09:45 PM

QUOTE (barend @ Jun 1 2005, 07:56 PM)
so all i can do is hope someone locks the thread before any one else says anything...

wink.gif

yeah, me too!

#200 User is offline   xenduck Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:to inspire you vast and cool intellects to regard Star Wars with more sympathetic eyes.

Posted 01 June 2005 - 10:04 PM

well, i hate to abandon a post unresloved, but it seems i have little choice. although, i guess were all pretty resolved at this point. ya i skipped the tao-science remark becuase while i know somthing of toaism i know absolutly nothing about scientology, sorry to disapoint anyone.

#201 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man

Posted 01 June 2005 - 11:24 PM

next time i see a taoist monk i'll be sure to ask him the importance of micro-organisms to their religion though wink.gif

#202 User is offline   Darth Sane Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 02 June 2005 - 01:30 PM

QUOTE (xenduck @ Apr 27 2005, 03:09 PM)
so a lot of people got beef with midichlorians. i really cant figure out why. some say they destory the universe, or are entirely unecessary. i admit, i was blissful in my ignorance of them, but after hearing about them in the PT, i dont see how the OT would make sense without them! midichlorians are the PT's highly plausible answer to what i thought was the OT's biggest question. the question being:

knowing the will of the force = force power. enough said. by making it a biological scientific thing, lucas is IMPLYING that it is HEREDITARY and CONSTANT (you have a set number at birth). This ruines it, just look at chelfelf's reasoning. Lucas tries to trick you into believing that medichloriens are simply a MEASUREMENT of force power. This is rediculus becasue you can not "measure" spirituality. This makes the force superficial. You should try to understand why lucas chose to introduce medichloriens....with the PT, he realized that he was going more into the realm of fantasy and images were becomoning more and more difficult to suspend disbelief. so, he naturally felt he had to balence this fantacy with something scientifically based to make the movies more realistic. So, he went with a bio-chemistry approach, a rational of the force that seems feasable in today's society. It was a bad move and it backfired for almost all the fans.

#203 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man

Posted 02 June 2005 - 07:10 PM

they are a self contained inconsistancy

#204 User is offline   Mnesymone Icon

• Champion
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Food, books, movies, history, languages, religions (though I'm an atheist), miracles of nature and marvels of technology.<br /><br />Particularly: steak, the Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, The Dark Ages in Europe, the 'created' languages, the mythologies of defunct European cultures, fish and cars.

Posted 02 June 2005 - 09:09 PM

And for all Xenduck claimed that this thread would 'make midichlorians easy' it's resulted in the same opinions on both sides of the debate, unchanged in nature or magnitude.
Basic truism of arguments: All beliefs rest on an unkown and unspoken assumption. Where a conflict of beliefs is resolved it is because while the beliefs contrast the assumption does not, meanwhile where a conflict of beliefs is unresolved it is due to the contrast of an assumption.
Two different Christians or two different atheists with different belief structures could have an argument and resolve it, while a Christian and an atheist could have an argument that ends unresolved despite everything either one says.
So while some people might think on some basic level: all things can be quantified/Lucas is infallible and PT is canon and another group of people think: there is a boundary between the scientific and the spiritual/If the suspension of disbelief doesn't work, George, I won't believe it there is going to be an unresolved argument.
Still, midichlorians suck.

#205 User is offline   xenduck Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 June 2005 - 06:13 PM

thats all good and fine mnesymone, but i think you should 'remember' that a large part of my point is that lucas in no way made spirituality measurable. ive said dozens of times, midichlorians are a base, a begining, a jumping off point. your own mind determines the limits of your power. you're trying to say that paints determine a painting without taking the painter into consideration. or that a hammer makes a table without considering the carpenter. but if you ask, "how did the carpenter make that table?" the answer could be "with the hammer." or it could be "with his carpentry skills." one does not preclude the other. nor does one attempt to quantify the other. the spirtuality and the physicality are always interconnected but not always interdependent.

#206 User is offline   Darth Sane Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 03 June 2005 - 06:27 PM

Jesus xanduck! do you really think a young child who just wants to imagine and make believe is going to go through that line of reasoning. thats great for you, you have managed with some interesting lojic to rationalize the medichlorians. But its not about that don't you see? Its about all the various implications and interpretations that are simply PERMITED through the EXISTANCE of the medichlorians. It is the fact that they have the possiblility of Hinting toward creating the force and genetically inheriting the force that will preclude many children and even adults from appreciating the concept of the force as they once did. YES YES xanduck your reasoning is good and makes sense but your missing the larger picture. I could REASON MY WAY through many confusing and frustrating aspects of PT to make them more enjoyable, but I should't have to. Star Wars is enjoyable because is is so Simple.

#207 User is offline   xenduck Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 June 2005 - 09:36 PM

i grew up on star wars. ive seen the movies hundreds of times collectively. when i was a kid, i just enjoyed the fighting and the strange, wonderful places. when i got older though, i started to ask myself, is this something a grown man should spend time doing? is this no better than saturday morning cartoons? thats when i started looking for deeper meaning, to delve into the rationality and philosophy or star wars, and i began to see there was more than meets the eye. there are many subtle themes throughout all the movies. the movies are textured and layered. the kids get what they want, and adults get what they want. as a kid i didnt worry about the mechanics of the force. but now i do.

• (14 Pages)
  • +
  • « First

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size