Chefelf.com Night Life: Worst line in Episodes I and II? - Chefelf.com Night Life

Star Wars Fan Convention

• (4 Pages)
  • +

Worst line in Episodes I and II? a simple topic from a simple man

#31 User is offline   Lord Aquaman Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Movies, comic books, some mythology... basically anything that's larger than life.

Posted 04 May 2005 - 07:19 AM

Does Momma Skywalker's dialogue during her unconvincing death deserve a nomination?
I am the Fisher King.

I'd like a qui-gon jinn please with an obi-wan to go.

#32 User is offline   Primetime Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 04 May 2005 - 02:45 PM

Does Jimmy Smits have any lines? Just the sight of him is hillarious.

#33 User is offline   Magee Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 04 May 2005 - 08:02 PM

It is really hard to pick a worst line. Not only because there are so many terrible lines, but also because the criteria can be so different. Like alot of lines are just horrible, cheesy, disgusting lines in any movie. Other lines are terrible because they are delivered poorly or out of place in a scene. But others, and this is the worst category, make me feel like the prequels are robbing me of something. That I have waited for these movies for as long as I can and they are not delivering something I expected.

However, Padme's line to Anakin before they go into the Arena in Episode II, "I really, am deeply in love with you" (or something like that, I dont know exactly cause I cant bear to watch it again), is a perfect storm of all of these criteria.

First of all, this line would be horrible in any movie, I dont care what the context is.
Second, I know its hard to deliver such a horrible line, but Portman does a terrible job. I would have delivered the line this way: "I am not doing that line, Mr. Lucas."
But this line is my least favorite line for another reason. I did not know anything about Luke and Leia's mom prior to these movies except that she died young and was beautiful. But while waiting for these movies I always felt that part of the horror I would feel when Anakin turns is the fact that he is also betraying the love of his life and destroying his family. But in order to feel this way I have to have some sort of emotional attatchment in this romance. When Portman says this in AOTC, I sat back in my chair and realized that any emotional investment I will ever have in this relationship must already have been invested. And that investment was bankrupt.

I think that it was at exactly this point that I gave up on the prequels entirely. I realized that any of the story or details that I had looked forward to watching unfold would be presented in simple statements poorly delivered by the characters: "I love you," "I want to be all powerful," "Obi-Wan is holding me back." For me this is definitely the worst/most damaging line in the two movies. One of my least favorite lines in all of cinema.

#34 User is offline   Mnesymone Icon

• Champion
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Food, books, movies, history, languages, religions (though I'm an atheist), miracles of nature and marvels of technology.<br /><br />Particularly: steak, the Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, The Dark Ages in Europe, the 'created' languages, the mythologies of defunct European cultures, fish and cars.

Posted 04 May 2005 - 08:44 PM

If you go by weak deliveries - then for some reason Obi-Wan's "I will see you trained as a Jedi" at the end of Menace was extremely weak - there must have been other takes of that where Ewan put more gusto into it... there just has to be - in fact, because the Jedi were being so stoic all the way through most of their deliveries were devoid of emotion... maybe their performance was modelled on Mark Hamill's performance in ROTJ where he disagreed with what he was being asked to do by George.

#35 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 04 May 2005 - 10:11 PM

QUOTE (Mnesymone @ May 4 2005, 08:44 PM)
If you go by weak deliveries - then for some reason Obi-Wan's "I will see you trained as a Jedi"

Yep. As significant as saying: "I DO love you..."

I dont know exactly cause I cant bear to watch it again
tongue.gif
too true. My choice for tonight is for "MAHster, Destroyers" if for no other reason than to think while at Wal-Mart: "Destroyer droids. I remember those by name."

Anyone seen those lame commercials yet? Saw a slew earlier. Where's Bea Arthur when we need her?

(at the end of the whole-damned movie about the clone wars) "Begun this Clone War has" or somesuch. Forgive me, I really couldn't care less if I got the line wrong. (And it wasn't an Attack. The clones were the cavalry, weren't they?) wacko.gif

edited like any worthy SE.

This post has been edited by Despondent: 04 May 2005 - 10:13 PM

#36 User is offline   ernesttomlinson Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 May 2005 - 10:53 PM

Yeah, but if Yoda didn't tell us at the end of Episode II that "begun the Clone War has", we wouldn't be able to tell otherwise.

#37 User is offline   Mnesymone Icon

• Champion
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Food, books, movies, history, languages, religions (though I'm an atheist), miracles of nature and marvels of technology.<br /><br />Particularly: steak, the Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, The Dark Ages in Europe, the 'created' languages, the mythologies of defunct European cultures, fish and cars.

Posted 05 May 2005 - 01:09 AM

But thats only because the events of the movie had failed to point out that the good guys might be in impending danger of being overrun by the friendly army that had saved their collective butts.. other than some obscure reference to someone called Cipher Diaz and Tyrannous.

Off topic: I never actually got the Cipher Diaz thing... was he Dooku or something? But Yoda called Dooku 'Dooku'... maybe there was nothing to it.... maybe I'll have another drink. This seems more likely.

#38 User is offline   HK 47 Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 May 2005 - 08:28 AM

Ah yes, the Sifo Dyas thing. Everyones favorite conspiracy subject on theforce.net. It's really so f**king lame that Lucas doesn't explain it at all. Yes, it probably is Dooku posing as Dyas, but dropping a weird name like that without any follow-up whatsoever only serves to confuse the audience. Hell, even the die-hards at theforce.net are confused about it...

Have another drink! smile.gif

#39 User is offline   Mnesymone Icon

• Champion
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 May 2005 - 05:48 PM

Ahh, so his name wasn't Cipher Diaz - but still, Sifo Dyas is also lame...
Hey, maybe Sifo Dyas isn't Dooku/Tyrannous, he's Palpatine/Sidious...
maybe there was a point to that line.

But then again... maybe there was no point.

#40 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself

Posted 06 May 2005 - 09:41 AM

Hey! I never noticed that before (or couldn't care less rolleyes.gif )

Sifo Dyas =

S' Dyas =

Sideous

Lucas is so f'in genius. tongue.gif

Stupid line of the day: "Now There are Two of them!"

#41 User is offline   DragonLord Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip
  • Interests:Study: Engineering Physics, Buisness Administration and Economics<br />Interests: Kickboxing and chess<br />Favorite books: Catcher in the Rye, The book of five rings, Lord of the Rings, Art of War

Posted 06 May 2005 - 04:50 PM

Personally one of my most hated lines is when Jango Fett says something like: "I'm just a man trying to make it in the universe"

He could have might as well: "I'm just a nigg'a trying to make it in da hood"

So much Hollywood in ATOC, it gives me the creeps.

#42 User is offline   Lord Aquaman Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Movies, comic books, some mythology... basically anything that's larger than life.

Posted 06 May 2005 - 08:38 PM

How about the line in the restaurant when the robo-waitress asks "You want a cup of Jawa juice?" This line is bothering me as of late - I thought Jawas were indigenous only to Tatioone. How could they get 'Jawa' juice all the way out there on Coruscant?
I am the Fisher King.

I'd like a qui-gon jinn please with an obi-wan to go.

#43 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself

Posted 06 May 2005 - 09:15 PM

Are you kidding?

I suppose "cup" is a Universal measure. rolleyes.gif

#44 User is offline   Mnesymone Icon

• Champion
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 May 2005 - 04:22 AM

Its not just "a cup of Jawa juice"
How would you juice a jawa - why would you juice a jawa - and if you weren't actually juicing it, why would you make a metaphor about Jawas... especially given the fact that they are elusive natives of tatooine. Also its just lame.

I'd like a jawa juice with a shot of tusken raider.

#45 User is offline   Grifter Icon

• New Cop

Posted 07 May 2005 - 08:40 AM

QUOTE (Mnesymone @ May 7 2005, 11:22 AM)
How would you juice a jawa - why would you juice a jawa

Now I'm scared... ermm.gif

• (4 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size