• (3 Pages)
  • +

Kevin Smith reviews ROTS guy who made Clerks and Chasing Amy

#16 User is offline   Just another wretched fan Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 28 April 2005 - 10:26 PM

i love this interview. As soon as they start bashing the PT the magazine changes the subject:
Once again Kevin Smith is gushing on AOTC and the other two are calling it like it is.

Edgar: ...I watched Shattered Glass recently and I felt really sorry for Hayden Christensen.

Kevin: He's really great in that movie. I think he's going to be great in this, too. I think basically he had to go through the whining period. You couldn't just have him show up as a dark, fucking brooding teenager and shit. You had to show - apparently the path to the Dark Side isn't very quick. It starts with 'I hate my hair' and ends with wanting to destroy Alderaan. So I bought that a little bit. I didn't mind the whininess. I remember a lot of people online were like 'he's such a fucking whiney teenager'.

Simon: I'd heard that someone had spoken to Hayden Christensen and he'd said that he'd done that take where he says that he killed all the Tusken Raiders or whatever, I killed them all, he'd done it several ways. The one way he played it, which he didn't like, was to play it like a stroppy teenager, and that's the one Lucas picked.

Kevin: I have to say this for George Lucas. He doesn't have a true impression of what it's like when your teenager says to you 'I killed them all, dad!' (laughter)

Empire: Sith's all about the return of Vader.

#17 User is offline   Just another wretched fan Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 April 2005 - 10:47 PM

Well....at least none of the apologists at this forum are as lame as Empire magazine when it comes to gushing.

Kevin: Particularly when one of them is a fucking kid in a cockpit, accidentally shooting a spaceship.

Empire: what does this button do?

Simon: I know. Accidental stuff in the first one, like with Jar Jar in the first one accidentally getting a robot stuck to his leg. Terrible.

Empire: See, that makes me laugh even now. I love Jar Jar. (laughs)

Simon: It's like Austin Powers. When you talk about Austin Powers, it's so much funnier than it is when you watch Austin Powers.

Empire: Favourite moment?

and yet again

Edgar: When I was nine and that Ewok threw that bola and wrapped it around his neck, that was amazing!I loved that!

Empire: see, Jar Jar for kids now – good. Jar Jar for us – bad. Same with Ewoks for us.

Kevin: Your father sat there watching that bola shit, going 'ugh!' (laughter) Oh, they've ruined it!

Empire: But there's no part where Ewoks step in dog shit.

Kevin: No Bantha poo there!

Empire: Guys, do you have time for a photo?

Simon: How wude!

Empire: Wesa going home!

This post has been edited by Just another wretched fan: 28 April 2005 - 10:50 PM

#18 User is offline   Xombie Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 29 April 2005 - 06:37 AM

Okay, now according to the review, Anakin personally oversees the killing of children. Does anyone see how this really makes RotJ even MORE unacceptable. Its one thing when he kills millions of kids because they just happen to have the misfortune to be on a planet that is blown up for the military-political reason of...well, something or other, but its quite another thing when he looks into their faces and kills them in cold blood. Lucas either doesn't get it or he's rubbing our noses in this. How can Vader deserve to go to Jedi Heaven when he's a fucking child killer?
And let me point out, if the children's bodies don't fade away, then the implication is that they don't go to Jedi Heaven. And if that's the case, because Vader killed them before they completed their training or whatever, the child victims of a murderer are kept from Heaven and the man who murderered them gets to get in!

Three simple letters: W T F ?

#19 User is offline   CowboyCurtis Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I lose interest in more things each and every day as things grow more and more mediocre and substandard...

Posted 29 April 2005 - 08:03 AM

Could not agree more.

I guess this just gives Lucas the opportunity to make "special editions" for years. I guess in...mmmm. about 2015 we'll see a scene where Anakin is playing nerf football with the kids....
Flying Ferret

Battle for the Galaxy--read the "other Star Wars"

All I know is I haven't seen the real prequels yet.

#20 User is offline   Just another wretched fan Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 April 2005 - 08:47 AM

if he doesn't explain why Qui-Gon didn't go to jedi heaven in ROTS then the PT will be a complete fuckup instead of just a total fuck up.

#21 User is offline   snaithbert Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 29 April 2005 - 11:34 AM

The whole thing with killing Jedi children is just so stupid and so typical Lucas. He doesn't need to show that to get the point across, but of course it's the most obvious, most direct, least inventive way to show that Anakin is "pure evil," so that's the method Lucas chooses. What makes a guy totally evil? Why killing kids, is there anything worse?!?! I'm surprised he doesn't show Anakin flying an airplane into the Coruscant Twin Towers or something equally less subtle. The guy just has no clue about developing characters and creating believable (even for a Star Wars movie) situations, etc. Instead of taking the time to carefully create a character that over the course of the 3 movies eventually succumbs to temptation and fails to slay his inner demons, Lucas just created a guy who's pretty nice and then 5 minutes later is killing children, etc. What he fails to realize is that the ACT of evil does not have the same overall effect when we don't understand the motives. Yeah killing kids is bad, but it gives us NO insight into who Anakin is, why he's doing what he's doing. We're totally desensitized to Anakin's horrible acts, because we don't know who Anakin is and at this point- we don't care. He's just another lame Lucas character; a card boardcut out who's interchangable with any other hero from any other bad movie. Square jawed, charming smile, no trace of reality whatsoever. Just a cookie cutter character, created by a guy who probably did the best he could- but it just wasn't good enough.

As for Kevin Smith, Edgar Wright, Simon Pegg, etc:

Edgar Wright and Simon Pegg don't work in the Hollywood studio system, so they have little to fear from Lucas or the town that he owns. They can afford to be outspoken, because by the time their films hit the states, they've already made 100 million dollars and anything extra they pick up in the US is just a bonus.

Kevin Smith on the other hand cannot afford to piss off the Hollywood elite. His days as a pariah are over (if they ever existed at all) and he wants to work in the studio system now, making movies financed by someone other than himself, etc. To do that, you cannot badmouth your contemporaries, even if they do utterly suck (like Lucas, for example). People who trash talk in Hollywood often find themselves shut out of certain situations, because no one wants to be associated with a guy who's troublesome or problematic, etc. In Hollywood, it's easier and safer to go along with the crowd than it is to raise your voice and take a stand. And in the end there's just no percentage to taking a stand, because Kevin Smith's fans will not pay him to make movies, the way the studios will. Why would Mr. Smith EVER risk pissing off the wrong people (and that's anyone who works or sides with Lucas) by badmouthing Star Wars? That might please his fans for a few minutes, but in the long run it'd be Kevin who got screwed. Today, Kevin Smith HAS to maintain the status quo and keep everyone happy. That means you're going to be hearing a LOT less opinons coming out out his mouth from now on, because he just cannot risk pissing off the wrong people and finding himself back behind the counter at the convenience store, etc. Though I should note that if EVERYONE on the planet agrees with a certain thing- Kevin Smith can then feel free to be vocal about it. For example he can make Paris Hilton jokes, because she's ALREADY an international joke and therefore it's safe territory. But beyond stuff like that, you're never going to hear Kevin Smith take a controversial stand on anything. That's for people who have nothing to lose- and he's not one of those people.

And as for magazines like Empire, all I can say is that their one and ONLY job is to create PR for movies and television shows, etc. They can hire all the edgy, hip people they want and bill themselves as iconoclasts until the cows come home, but most people will always be able to see magazines like that for what they are- free advertising for all things media. I say free, meaning it's free for movie studios, etc. But in fact those kind of magazines are the ultimate irony in advertising, because it's the only advertising that WE actually PAY for. All those magazines, whether they're from the US or the UK are really nothing more than marketing tools for the media. If they're OWNED by the same conglomorate that owns the studio that puts out the movie the magazine is pushing- something ain't right. Basically those rags are in the same boat as Kevin Smith- they can't rock the boat, for fear of offending their masters. It's all just advertising, no matter how "cool" the magazines try to pass themselves off as. Just like everything else in life, you're being sold something. All day long, every day of your life- you're being sold something.

Okay, sorry for rambling. Hopping off the soapbox now.

#22 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 30 April 2005 - 04:06 AM

Lucas is not Hollywood elite. Smith speaks him mind. I can say that he is a shitty director and a bad writer, but I won't agree that he's a hypocrite or a shill. If he wanted to lie about how much he hated ROTS, what he would have done would not have been to praise it. What he would have done is he would have kept his mouth shut.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#23 User is offline   Lord Aquaman Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Movies, comic books, some mythology... basically anything that's larger than life.

Posted 03 May 2005 - 01:00 PM

I hope Kevin Smith got paid a lot for writing all that Episode III praise/crap. The bribe from Lucas should be more than enough to pay for his next five or six movies.

This post has been edited by Lord Aquaman: 03 May 2005 - 01:01 PM

I am the Fisher King.

I'd like a qui-gon jinn please with an obi-wan to go.

#24 User is offline   snaithbert Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 03 May 2005 - 03:36 PM

QUOTE (civilian_number_two @ Apr 30 2005, 04:06 AM)
Lucas is not Hollywood elite.  Smith speaks him mind.  I can say that he is a shitty director and a bad writer, but I won't agree that he's a hypocrite or a shill.  If he wanted to lie about how much he hated ROTS, what he would have done would not have been to praise it.  What he would have done is he would have kept his mouth shut.

I didn't really say that Mr. Smith HATED "Revenge of the Sith," just that this is his last chance to kiss up to Lucas and he's taking it. If he tried it with the last 2 movies, his fans would have torn him apart. But this time the film looks (a little) better, so he's going for it. I would say the chances are great that in a year or so he says he's reconsidered and maybe it's NOT that great, etc. Once the film comes out and is universally panned and decried as a failure, then Kevin will HAVE to say maybe he was a little wrong, or his fans will call him a gusher, etc. But right now he can say how awesome the movie is and frankly this is his last shot to do so. I don't blame him for taking it, it's just that his very insanely over the top review is just so so so obviously not genuine to anyone who has half a brain. He just heaped WAY too much praise on the movie to come off as anything other than a guy trying to do a job. And that job is not to get people to see ROTS as much as it is to send a message to Lucas and the Lucas types in Hollywood, saying that he's ready to play ball now. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em and with that review, Kevin Smith proves that he's absolutely joined 'em. I don't think his goal is to get his fans to go see ROTS, though that could happen. Of course once the movie comes out, his fans will know for themselves just how shitty it is, but until then, his words might just have some impact.

So while I would have to say that Mr. Smith may not be a genuine shill or even a hypocrite, don't think for a second that he's not working an angle. I said it before and I'll say it again- he CANNOT afford to speak his mind the way he used to. Pariahs do not last long in Hollywood. You either set the trends or you follow the trends. Kevin Smith is not a trendsetter (though I'm guessing he thinks he is) which means he's a trend follower. And if he wants to keep working in the studio system, he'll play ball and not rock the boat. There's just NO advantage to rocking the boat. And this is why you're never going to hear a controversial word come out of his mouth again. He is all done shaking things up (if he ever started) because he's a team player now and he wants to keep working. This being the case, his newfound love of Lucas doesn't surprise me much. He may not be a shill for Lucas, but he knows enough to not bite the hand that feeds most of Hollywood, one way or another.

And lest you think I'm just a guy who hates Kevin Smith, let me assure that that's not the case. If anything I'm totally indifferent to him. But if you think Hollywood's full of mavericks bucking the system and making great strides by rebelling against the norm- think again. Going against the norm in Hollywood rarely happens, if ever. There's no percentage in it, because following the rules is a much better way to insure financial success and career longevity. I guess it does happen, but it's pretty infrequent, especially these days. So when I say Kevin Smith is a team player, I don't say that to put the guy down. If you wanna succeed in Hollywood, you HAVE to be a team player; a guy who doesn't rock the boat. As ironic as it sounds, Hollywood doesn't reward original thinkers or trendsetters. More often than not- it tries to silence those people. And usually it succeeds. So when I say Kevin Smith is a team player, what I mean is, he's just covering his ass. He wants to keep working, building his career up, etc. And who knows, maybe someday he'll be the next Spielberg and then he CAN do whatever he wants, say whatever he wants. But until then, if he's smart (and it looks like he is) he's gonna keep his yap shut and not take chances. The risk is just too great and nowhere near the almost certain reward he'll get if he just continues to play ball.

#25 User is offline   snaithbert Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 03 May 2005 - 03:48 PM

QUOTE (civilian_number_two @ Apr 30 2005, 04:06 AM)
Lucas is not Hollywood elite.

Whoops, I forgot that I wanted to touch on this.

If you think Lucas isn't Hollywood elite- you're very much mistaken.

Just because he's not at the Oscars or showing up in the news or getting sued all the time, doesn't mean he's not part of the Hollywood elite. Just means he's got some taste and dignity (I have to admit that much).

Lucas isn't in the spotlight the way Spielberg is, or some of the other people that run Hollywood, etc. But don't think for a second that he's not one of, if not the most, powerful people in Hollywood. He's behind the scenes, yes. He's not an attention hog like the Jerry Bruckheimers or Peter Gubers of the world. But he's still one of the small handful of people that runs Hollywood. He doesn't run a studio and he doesn't make a lot of movies- but very little gets done without SOMETHING that Lucas owns. Special effects? Sound? You want those in your movie? Then you kind of need Lucas. Yeah, there are alternatives, but Lucas is the best and studios want the best (technically speaking that is, storywise they don't seem to be too picky).

Lucas has always been a behind the scenes kind of guy. He likes to be above it all, pulling the strings, etc. He' s not good with people, so he avoids the whole "love you babe, let's do lunch, hi I'm a scumbag" Hollywood scene. But that doesn't mean he doesn't run the show, albeit indirectly. To say he's not part of the Hollywood elite is just nuts. He's not just a part of the elite, he IS the elite. Moviemaking was just a business before Lucas came along. He opened the doors for today's obnoxious Hollywood dirtbags and the fact that he himself didn't walk through it doesn't mean that he's not calling the shots. Very little gets done in Hollywood without George Lucas, one way or another. And if that's not elite- I don't know what is.

#26 User is offline   StarWarsIsUs Icon

• Awesome Possum
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 May 2005 - 06:26 PM

""""Lucas has always been a behind the scenes kind of guy. He likes to be above it all, pulling the strings, etc. He' s not good with people, so he avoids the whole "love you babe, let's do lunch, hi I'm a scumbag" Hollywood scene. But that doesn't mean he doesn't run the show, albeit indirectly. To say he's not part of the Hollywood elite is just nuts. He's not just a part of the elite, he IS the elite. Moviemaking was just a business before Lucas came along. He opened the doors for today's obnoxious Hollywood dirtbags and the fact that he himself didn't walk through it doesn't mean that he's not calling the shots. Very little gets done in Hollywood without George Lucas, one way or another. And if that's not elite- I don't know what is. """"""

He wormed his way up the top of the food chain. From what I have gathered, like you sayed, he isn't good with people. He mumbles when he talks, and is really reserved... which makes him seems undangerous. But he is... he's a wolf in sheep's clothing. I hate his guts. I HATE HIM! I HATE EVERYTHING ABOUT HIM!

This post has been edited by StarWarsIsUs: 03 May 2005 - 06:27 PM

SecretShadow (SuperShadow's main adversary)

Endor Holocaust
FIND OUT THE TRUTH

#27 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 May 2005 - 09:50 PM

Lucas dropped out of the DGA. Lucas cannot legally make a film within the Hollywood system. Lucas is not Hollywood.

Harrison Ford has publicly disowned STAR WARS and no one has kept him from making movies.

I think Kevin Smith is a hack and that his films are terrible. I also think he has the integrity to speak his mind. He is a nerd, and he grew up loving STAR WARS. He like TPM at first and later said he didn't like it. He made fun of the Special Editions in JAY AND SILENT BOB STRIKE BACK. He does not need George Lucas, of all people to help him make movies. Find me a quote where he is saying nice things about Harvey Weinstein and I will back up your "Hollywood suck up" theory all the way. But George Lucas? You overestimate his reach.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#28 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 May 2005 - 09:53 PM

All that stuff about Lucas controlling the entire business of Special Effects in Hollywood; that's nonsense, and definitely irrelevant to the sorts of films being made by Kevin Smith.

#29 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 03 May 2005 - 11:02 PM

Lucas is practically a nobody now. He did nothing in the 90's, save TPM, and I bet ROTS will be his last movie.

Kevin Smith tries so hard to be underground, a radical liberal, and a super untrendy director. His movies are not good. Dogma and Jay/Bob Strike were some of the most god awful films I've ever seen. Chasing Amy sucked, so did Mallrats.

This post has been edited by Jordan: 03 May 2005 - 11:04 PM

Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#30 User is offline   Lord Aquaman Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Movies, comic books, some mythology... basically anything that's larger than life.

Posted 04 May 2005 - 07:37 AM

QUOTE (civilian_number_two @ May 3 2005, 07:50 PM)
Harrison Ford has publicly disowned STAR WARS and no one has kept him from making movies. 

When did Ford publicly disown Star Wars? I know he's never been a fan of science fiction, but I wasn't aware that he had disowned Star Wars. Maybe he and Lucas have some vendetta against one another...
I am the Fisher King.

I'd like a qui-gon jinn please with an obi-wan to go.

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size