• +

Wind Waker and the legendary Zelda

#16 User is offline   Stalky Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 26 April 2005 - 02:30 AM

QUOTE (Chefelf @ Apr 25 2005, 04:37 PM)
I think I was in the minoirty in actually preferring the cartoon-like feel rather than the quasi-realistic look of the two previous Zelda games.

You aren't alone. I prefer the cartoon look because it provided smoother animations.

#17 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 26 April 2005 - 02:36 AM

so anyway...

Legend of Zelda 2: the adventures of Link.

what was with the guy who says: "I am Error"

#18 User is offline   Rhubarb Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Regurgitator, the Froud family, T.H. White, and Dylan Moran.

Posted 26 April 2005 - 03:24 AM

You sure it wasn't, like, an actual error message rather than a character speaking to you?

#19 User is offline   Brick McRunfast Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 26 April 2005 - 03:34 AM

Or an error message that just wanted to be loved?

#20 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 26 April 2005 - 05:09 AM

Odd. When Stalky made the topic, I check the main page and the update wasn't up.

Personally, I liked the game, but shortness was definatly a problem. Increasing the game length by 'looking for treasure' does not an interesting experience make.

The cartoon graphics were good(with the exception of Link and Gannon, who looked terrible), but they shouldn't have been done in a Zelda game. The first Zelda game I played was OoT, and I always saw it as more a serious fantasy theme. This was just ridiculous. Sure, it looked good, but it should have been it's own game, not a Zelda one.
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#21 User is offline   Rhubarb Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 26 April 2005 - 05:23 AM

No waaaay. Opinion on Link's prime appearance will always be divided, but Ganon looked awesome. I remember going 'ooh' when he first appeared. He had a cool robe and katanas. He was a ninja! NINJA!

How can you say he looked awful after the goddamn pig in a S&M gear that was Ganon previously?

#22 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof

Posted 26 April 2005 - 06:49 AM

I think they screwed up his face. He looked cool when he was being built up, but when he turns around, he just looked like a fat old Arabic man who wears black.
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#23 User is offline   Voodoo Dog Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Location:The Republic of Ireland AKA The Irish Free State The Emerald Isle Hibernia Eire Erin Eireann That Fucking Boghole

Posted 26 April 2005 - 09:27 AM

The only RPGs I've ever really played are FF7 and FF8. FF7, although now the graphics look rather crap, is still my favourite game of all time. Best game storyline of all time and that includes MGS. Plus, its amazing how they made a menu based combat system so involving. FF8 was good too, but I remember being rather dissapointed because it wasn't anything compared to the adventures of Cloud and company.

As regards Zelda, although I really don't know the games, I've always liked how Nintendo made Link the only left-handed game character in the history of the universe. As a fellow lefty, I rather thought it was about fucking time. He was even a southpaw in the only experience I ever had with him, and I instantly came to the conclusion that he fucking ROCKED. Actually, although it seems laughable, I would add said LCD game to the list of my favourite games of all time. It took HOURS to complete. Yes, you could actually complete it, compared to most game and watch things where you play the same level over and over again forever. And the gameplay was incredibly in depth compared to most LCD games, in most of them all you do is move left and right, catching/avoiding things.

And by the way, I see you also picked up the curse of HTML Rhubarb. I'm so so sorry If somehow I managed to pass it on. Please don't throw me off these boards like the horrible leper I am.

#24 User is offline   Stalky Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 April 2005 - 10:26 AM

QUOTE (SimeSublime @ Apr 26 2005, 05:09 AM)
Odd.  When Stalky made the topic, I check the main page and the update wasn't up.

You probably needed to refresh your browser. I know I had to when I got home (I posted this topic at school).

#25 User is offline   Voodoo Dog Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Location:The Republic of Ireland AKA The Irish Free State The Emerald Isle Hibernia Eire Erin Eireann That Fucking Boghole

Posted 26 April 2005 - 12:09 PM

I just started wondering if princess Zelda and princess Daisy/Peach/Toadstool/Whatever her fucking name is, are somehow related. They both look somewhat similar, they were both created by that raving genius Miyamoto(Thats the guy, right?),and they're both of the royal blood. All those bloody royals are related to each other, inbred twats that they are. They both seem to get kidnapped a lot by raving lunatics as well. I don't really know about Zelda but I always wondered why Daisy couldn't afford a better security force than an off-duty plumber.

Are Mario and Zelda the only games that still use the tired old cliche of "rescue the hapless female"? I was glad when that trend more or less died out. The only other (more or less) recent game I can think off that includes this is MGS, and that rocked so much I was prepared to forgive it.

#26 User is offline   Chyld Icon

• Ancient Monstrosity
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team

Posted 26 April 2005 - 12:18 PM

Well, having spent the sum of two hours over last year watching my friend play Wind Walker in breaks, and "far too long" watching my little brother playing Minish Cap this Easter, I can quite happily say that neither of them is fit to suck the testicles of Skies of Arcadia on the Dreamcast.
When you lose your calm, you feed your anger.

Less Is More v4
Now resigned to a readership of me, my cat and some fish

#27 User is offline   floppydisk Icon

• The Amazing Bag-Man!
  • Interests:Movies. Books. Video Games.

Posted 26 April 2005 - 02:35 PM

I distinctly remember one thing that I liked about TWW. The cut-scenes. They were incredible. Especially the one where Gannondorf and Link meet for the first time and Gannondorf knocks his sword away. I remember sitting there and thinking "Holy christ, that was amazing." It was like watching The Fellowship of the Ring.
QUOTE (Theodor Herzl)
If you will it, it is no dream.

#28 User is offline   Rhubarb Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 26 April 2005 - 03:40 PM

Actually, I had the biggest problem with Zelda in that game.

She was damn cool. She was a pirate queen from generations of pirate queens. She could have kicked Link's arse 100 different ways if she'd wanted, and would have been a much better choice to wield the sword and take on Ganon. She was fair and liberal, but still insulted Link and called him names. Insulted Ganon. Insulted the King. She was bossy and sarcastic and y'know, fun.

THEN THAT STUPID KING PUTS A DRESS ON HER. He summons her, says OMG UR ZLEDA and puts her in a damn dress. And takes away her tan somehow. And suddenly she's a weak, nervous, demure little darling, and the first thing she does is defer to Link and apologise for causing trouble. A submissive little Japanese wetdream. I was getting a real vibe of a 'showing that hot chick who insulted me that I'm a real man after all' fantasy there on the part of the creators. And my personal feminist tastes aside, it just came out of the blue and made no sense at all.

This post has been edited by Rhubarb: 26 April 2005 - 03:41 PM

#29 User is offline   floppydisk Icon

• The Amazing Bag-Man!
  • Interests:Movies. Books. Video Games.

Posted 26 April 2005 - 03:43 PM

I agree. When that happened, I thought "What the hell? That's a completely different character." I guess destiny has a certian impression on people.
QUOTE (Theodor Herzl)
If you will it, it is no dream.

#30 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof

Posted 27 April 2005 - 05:25 AM

QUOTE (Voodoo dog @ Apr 26 2005, 10:27 PM)
The only RPGs I've ever really played are FF7 and FF8.  FF7, although now the graphics look rather crap, is still my favourite game of all time.  Best game storyline of all time and that includes MGS. 

May I direct you to Planescape: Torment, Baldurs Gate and Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic?

• (4 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size