Chefelf.com Night Life: Ignoring ep 1? - Chefelf.com Night Life

Star Wars Fan Convention

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Ignoring ep 1? Are any of them necessary?

#1 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

• Knows All The Girls Named Lola
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Tyranny

Posted 02 April 2005 - 12:55 AM

Question: Could we still enjoy episode 2 just as much if not more if Episode 1 were absent? I think the same will apply to ep3 after it comes out, that it dosnt need ep 1 and 2 to make sense. In fact it'll probably make more sense if you just ignore them. So since most all of these movies seem to be non-sequential and inconsequential why was it necessary to make one of them, much less 3?

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.
- Deucaon toes a hard line on gay fetus rights.

#2 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 02 April 2005 - 01:02 AM

Si. (Quench y'all.)

-

No, we never could.

#3 User is offline   thrawn Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip
  • Group: Former Members
  • Interests:Star Wars, and all that is Nazi

Posted 02 April 2005 - 01:14 AM

Yeah, I agree, like treat Episode III as a prelude to Ep. IV,V,VI, like the Hobbit to The Lord of The Rings, a stand alone movie, how Anikan became Darth Vader, and how the empire was formed, and how the Jedi were destroyed, and how the Clone Wars ended, because this is all you pretty much need to know, but all this of course applys if Episode III will be good.
Because in a way all the stuff we hated in Ep I and II wont be in Ep III, except for Jar Jar, their wont be any Bobba Fett or Jango (hopefully), or any two headed anouncers, or a guy with antennas offering death sticks, and so on.

This post has been edited by thrawn: 02 April 2005 - 01:17 AM

user posted image
"History is on the move. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from the distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all."
-- Grand Admiral Thrawn

#4 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

Posted 02 April 2005 - 01:27 AM

So in theory we can still enjoy starwars just as long as we just watch ep3 and the unedited OT. See, you can always look on the bright side of the force!

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.

#5 User is offline   thrawn Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 02 April 2005 - 01:36 AM

and thats what im gonna do, good thing I bought my unedited original trilogy off ebay for a low low price biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by thrawn: 02 April 2005 - 01:42 AM

user posted image
"History is on the move. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from the distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all."
-- Grand Admiral Thrawn

#6 User is offline   Mnesymone Icon

• Champion
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Food, books, movies, history, languages, religions (though I'm an atheist), miracles of nature and marvels of technology.<br /><br />Particularly: steak, the Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, The Dark Ages in Europe, the 'created' languages, the mythologies of defunct European cultures, fish and cars.

Posted 02 April 2005 - 02:11 AM

If we ignore episode I and watch episode II like it never happened, it is a bit better. Its starting from a low point, but it is better. It also tells you everything that you need to know in the first few minutes about the backstory... atually all the Star Wars films are... sufficiently different to stand alone.
As for the bright side of the force... It all hangs around one film, one final film.
But failing that, I still have my well-worn, much-loved Star Wars trilogy.

#7 User is offline   thrawn Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 02 April 2005 - 02:20 AM

Yes, but Episode II was way worse then Episode I in many ways, so its better to ignore both of the damned things!
user posted image
-- Grand Admiral Thrawn

#8 User is offline   HK 47 Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 April 2005 - 02:32 AM

QUOTE (J m HofMarN @ Apr 2 2005, 01:27 AM)
So in theory we can still enjoy starwars just as long as we just watch ep3 and the unedited OT. See, you can always look on the bright side of the force!

Well, that hinges of course on the supposition that Episode III is any good. Judging by the trailer and the spoilers I think it looks really, really promising to be honest, but so did AotC...

#9 User is offline   Mnesymone Icon

• Champion
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Food, books, movies, history, languages, religions (though I'm an atheist), miracles of nature and marvels of technology.<br /><br />Particularly: steak, the Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, The Dark Ages in Europe, the 'created' languages, the mythologies of defunct European cultures, fish and cars.

Posted 02 April 2005 - 02:38 AM

From the trailers and spoilers it looks impressive... but it has a slight... horrific feel - not just grim and dark, but somehow... warped.

I'm not sure but if Ep I and II were drawn from GL's dreams (and inexhaustible budget), I think this will be from his nightmares.

#10 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

Posted 02 April 2005 - 02:42 AM

Episode 3 is expected to be dark in the same way that a horror film is expected to be scary because it has a lot of fake blood in it.

#11 User is offline   Mnesymone Icon

• Champion
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 April 2005 - 02:47 AM

A grim atmoshpere and darkness can be created without relying on horrific elements. The Lord of the Rings was grim and dark at its end, but beyond Shelob and Minas Morgul it drew on elements of epic and tragedy... as did Empire Strikes Back.

Lucas seems to have forgotten his best work - hiring Irvin Kershner.
He also seems to have forgotten that for any given destination (a dark film) there are multiple routes (horror and tragedy)

#12 User is offline   thrawn Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 02 April 2005 - 06:07 AM

Just today I managed to pick up a copy of the newly released Star Wars Episode III Revenge of The Sith Visual Dictionary..

I had a flick through, and I must say the visuals look very stunning, and the new vehicles and spaceships look pretty cool, and the various characters also look pretty impressive, especially the clone troopers, anyway what I noticed and it was pretty amusing that there wasn't a single entry for Jar Jar Binks, I don't think its coz of his small role in the film coz there are many entries for other characters even more insignificant, like Coruscant civillians, and even Anthony Daniels cameo character.

Thats very strange, Maybe Jar Jar isn't in the film, or maybe Lucas realised that Jar Jar brings his profits down and decided not to provoke his audience, or maybe he was in the book and I just missed him but I don't think so,I did look at it in detail. ermm.gif

The book shows various images of the locations like Kashyyyk, and Yoda seems to arrive there on this giant kind of escape pod. It shows Sidious who is actually palpatine in various other weird costumes with his hood of course, it also shows the first generation of imperial officers, you know the ones in the green suits, it also shows Mon Mothma who as we know is the senator from Chandrila and founder of the Rebellion, and like I said the vehicles look stunning. It also shows the inside of General Grievious skull and brain.

This post has been edited by thrawn: 02 April 2005 - 06:10 AM

user posted image
-- Grand Admiral Thrawn

#13 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

Posted 03 April 2005 - 01:12 AM

Ok, this has to be said:

If Obi Wan let Anakin run about dressing like that without just sabring him on general principal, then Obi really deserves what he got in the OT for being a complete frickin moron.

#14 User is offline   Mnesymone Icon

• Champion
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 April 2005 - 06:08 AM

Hmm... I see you are wearing luxurious black robes instead of your humble Jedi gear... well - you are probably wearing them as mourning colurs for your mother - despite the fact you never went to see her for ten years... I won't search your thoughts for the dark side.

At least his lightsaber isn't red at this junction - that's a damn obvious sign.

#15 User is offline   Paladin Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 April 2005 - 10:10 AM

Thrawn, Jar Jar is in Episode III. If you check out the page on ROTS on IMDB.com, you'll see that he's in the cast. How much of a role does he play? I do not know, but I really hope that it's as minimal as possible.

I would have loved to see him get blasted to tiny little pieces on screen in the most horrid manner possible, but I also heard that Jar Jar is supposed to live at the end of the movie, and that's the biggest dissappointment of it all.

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size