Chefelf.com Night Life: Too many blondes in the Hollywood spotlight? - Chefelf.com Night Life

Page 1 of 1

Too many blondes in the Hollywood spotlight?

#1 User is offline   Lord Aquaman Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Movies, comic books, some mythology... basically anything that's larger than life.

Posted 19 April 2005 - 07:38 AM

Are blondes too prevalent in the entertainment industry today, yes or no?
I am the Fisher King.

I'd like a qui-gon jinn please with an obi-wan to go.

#2 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 19 April 2005 - 09:01 AM

If it wasn't blodes, it would be brunettes, or redheads, or...
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#3 User is offline   Laughlyn Icon

• Token drunk
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Who am I? I'm Laughlyn, resident Gentleman B*stard of the highest order of the british empire, A geek who's crawled out of the far side of the abyss to wreck havoc upon his breathren. A closet troll, purveyor of bartender brand advice (<br />Call me for realtionship advice\general abuse on +447949623581.... Just don't expect me to answer), thinks-he's-artsy person, and occasional Pirate.<br /><br />Interests? What the bloody hell is this? A census?

Posted 19 April 2005 - 09:10 AM

Problem is, the blondes can play the whole 'dumb blonde' \ ' pretty blonde' \ 'world wise but dumb blonde' or even the 'dumb blonde who's really smart but the world hates here because she's blonde' - worked soo easily into soo many scripts.

Are we talking natural blonde actor(esses) or film characters starring people with blonde hair? Not that the former matters, because you can just dye their hair during production.
IPB Image
I want to go back to the films of the 80's, where plots were simple, and explosions happened regularly....

#4 User is offline   Lord Aquaman Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Movies, comic books, some mythology... basically anything that's larger than life.

Posted 19 April 2005 - 09:28 AM

QUOTE (Laughlyn @ Apr 19 2005, 07:10 AM)
Problem is, the blondes can play the whole 'dumb blonde' \ ' pretty blonde' \ 'world wise but dumb blonde' or even the 'dumb blonde who's really smart but the world hates here because she's blonde' - worked soo easily into soo many scripts.

Are we talking natural blonde actor(esses) or film characters  starring people with blonde hair? Not that the former matters, because you can just dye their hair during production.

Just blondes in general, natural or unnatural; it's like there's a blondifcation thing going on. There are some nice looking blonde women out there but I feel like I've been over dosed with blondes on the whole.
I am the Fisher King.

#5 User is offline   Laughlyn Icon

• Token drunk
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Who am I? I'm Laughlyn, resident Gentleman B*stard of the highest order of the british empire, A geek who's crawled out of the far side of the abyss to wreck havoc upon his breathren. A closet troll, purveyor of bartender brand advice (<br />Call me for realtionship advice\general abuse on +447949623581.... Just don't expect me to answer), thinks-he's-artsy person, and occasional Pirate.<br /><br />Interests? What the bloody hell is this? A census?

Posted 19 April 2005 - 09:35 AM

Blondes when out of fashion for a while from 2000 onwards, but now they're back, in force. Look on the bright side, it makes all the redheads\brunettes look a lot better by comparison.
IPB Image
I want to go back to the films of the 80's, where plots were simple, and explosions happened regularly....

#6 User is offline   kdogg Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 19 April 2005 - 01:39 PM

What's wrong with blondes?

#7 User is offline   floppydisk Icon

• The Amazing Bag-Man!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Movies. Books. Video Games.

Posted 19 April 2005 - 03:45 PM

Nothing.
QUOTE (Theodor Herzl)
If you will it, it is no dream.

#8 User is offline   Laughlyn Icon

• Token drunk
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 April 2005 - 11:00 AM

Nothing a bottle of hair dye can't fix anyhow.
IPB Image

#9 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 20 April 2005 - 11:47 AM

It's not blondes. There are a number of great blondes out there; don't get me started. It's teenaged-to-20something blondes with no great acting skills and identical bodies. There's too much of THAT. Along with a lot of folk, I am tired of seeing the same girl over and over, and I'm definitely tired of being told this little 5'4', 100lb waif is a superspy who can take down teams of enemy agents with her bare hands. Come on; there are weight classes in every contact sport.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#10 User is offline   floppydisk Icon

• The Amazing Bag-Man!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Movies. Books. Video Games.

Posted 20 April 2005 - 02:43 PM

I don't mind watching blondes in movies. What I mind is when they start to talk. tongue.gif
QUOTE (Theodor Herzl)
If you will it, it is no dream.

#11 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 20 April 2005 - 03:59 PM

Lindsay Lohan is not a blonde, and she is the worst.
Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#12 User is offline   Laughlyn Icon

• Token drunk
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 April 2005 - 06:07 PM

QUOTE (civilian_number_two @ Apr 20 2005, 04:47 PM)
I am tired of seeing the same girl over and over, and I'm definitely tired of being told this little 5'4', 100lb waif is a superspy who can take down teams of enemy agents with her bare hands.  Come on; there are weight classes in every contact sport.

Are you proposing a fat spy movie? I think the MI5 entrance exam has a limit on weight (or as they put it on their website, candidate must be in good health, and willing to take their career in new directions).

Although I do agree that there's too many identi-kit blondes in the movies, there's no reason a realistic looking person can play a starring role. Unless they're in tight leather, because there's nothing more scary than the concept of fat people in tight leather doing kung-fu.
IPB Image

#13 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 20 April 2005 - 08:56 PM

No, no fat spies. I was more on the 5'4" there. But even that can be conquered with some credible acting. I want to believe that this gal can kick butt if she has to, but more to the point, if she were any good at the job, she'd never have to. I'd like to see a more credible spy movie, where the spy isn't going around always engaging in fist fights with bozos.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#14 User is offline   JW Wells Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 21 April 2005 - 09:41 AM

QUOTE (civilian_number_two @ Apr 20 2005, 08:56 PM)
Along with a lot of folk, I am tired of seeing the same girl over and over, and I'm definitely tired of being told this little 5'4', 100lb waif is a superspy who can take down teams of enemy agents with her bare hands. Come on; there are weight classes in every contact sport

I concur. In my kenpo days, I was a regular at Tuesday night sparring, and a sometimes attendee was about 5'2", weighed about 90 lbs soaking wet. She had been a cheerleader and could kick well above my head level, but . . . well. . . I weighed more than twice what she did. I could ignore glancing blows from her all night, whereas one shot from the 6'3" guy there could put me across the room. There's a reason for strict weight classes in competitive fighting.

Hollywood should have a virtually unlimited pool of genetic talent to draw from, so I don't see why they couldn't cast some Amazon if they wanted to show some woman beating people up. Sigourney Weaver was convincing in the (God-awful) Alien Resurrection, for example.

#15 User is offline   Lord Aquaman Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 April 2005 - 05:04 PM

QUOTE (JW Wells @ Apr 21 2005, 07:41 AM)
I concur.  In my kenpo days, I was a regular at Tuesday night sparring, and a sometimes attendee was about 5'2", weighed about 90 lbs soaking wet.  She had been a cheerleader and could kick well above my head level, but . . . well. . . I weighed more than twice what she did.  I could ignore glancing blows from her all night, whereas one shot from the 6'3" guy there could put me across the room.  There's a reason for strict weight classes in competitive fighting.

Hollywood should have a virtually unlimited pool of genetic talent to draw from, so I don't see why they couldn't cast some Amazon if they wanted to show some woman beating people up.  Sigourney Weaver was convincing in the (God-awful) Alien Resurrection, for example.

Here here! Well said, JW Wells!
I am the Fisher King.

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size