• (3 Pages)
  • +

What are the Clone Wars? never mind what Lucas says now

#31 User is offline   JW Wells Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 24 April 2005 - 01:18 PM

QUOTE (Just another wretched fan @ Apr 23 2005, 06:18 PM)
Example:

If 1999 GL made ANH instead of 1977 GL. He would have changes scenes from the bridge of Vader's Star Destroyer to a boring senate scene, where Palpatine disbands the senate. 1977 GL knew that viewers don't care about politics, so he never would include said scene, and just summed it up in one line of dialogue. (Paraphrasing) "The Galactic Senate will never stand for this" "The Emperor has disbanded the senate, the regional governors now have direct control...."

Think of how much better the PT would have been if all the political scenes were deleted and replaced in this manner.

So for the simple solution to "What are the Clone Wars" the answer is "We don't want to know." We didn't need to know the politics behind the rebellion and the empire to enjoy the OT, so we shouldn't need any knowledge about this Clone war either.

I agree on both points - Star Wars is effective at least partially because it's been stripped down to the absolute bone as far as detail goes. There's a fast-moving story and little time for anything else. Ben Kenobi goes from telling Luke about his father to asking him to become a Jedi in about ninety seconds.

But again, I think that by choosing to do "episodes I-III", Lucas was to a certain extent committing himself to exploring those generalities. We didn't need to know more after all, and instead we got three movies worth of the detail that had been cut from Star Wars.

#32 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 24 April 2005 - 03:26 PM

SW was on earlier. The throne room scene really isn't as bad as I'd remembered it. Han's little wink at Leia, and her suggestive look of "now boys, bow to me now."

But the SW galaxy isn't just far far away. It's a long time ago as well. New shiny PTships and gleaming, glittering Everything stretches so far. It's not a requirement.

#33 User is offline   CowboyCurtis Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I lose interest in more things each and every day as things grow more and more mediocre and substandard...

Posted 25 April 2005 - 08:40 PM

It all comes back to the writer.

I agree... less is more. One needs to up the stakes for the heroes, so that when it comes down to a senatorial vote, or what have you, we should be screaming at the screen, "You idiots! What are you doing?"

I agree. One scene, if at all, was needed to show the senate. And, actually to save the senate scene for Episode III would've been much more satisfactory when Palpatine announces he's in charge.

Aye-caramba.

I better leave for awhile. My head hurts just thinking about the wasted opportunity...
Flying Ferret

Battle for the Galaxy--read the "other Star Wars"

All I know is I haven't seen the real prequels yet.

#34 User is offline   Mnesymone Icon

• Champion
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Food, books, movies, history, languages, religions (though I'm an atheist), miracles of nature and marvels of technology.<br /><br />Particularly: steak, the Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, The Dark Ages in Europe, the 'created' languages, the mythologies of defunct European cultures, fish and cars.

Posted 25 April 2005 - 10:52 PM

Getting bogged down in the politics and minutia of Palpatine's rise to power was a great blow to the strength of the prequel trilogy... Also - the concept that every victory the good guys have is meaningless doesn't help - all progress made in Episode I is useless, the defeat of the trade federation and Maul - then the story actually steps back between the two movies - the trade federation is stronger than ever - their defeat accomplished nothing, save perhaps breathing space, and Maul is replaced with Dooku - then after the good guys beat Dooku's army we are told the Clone War(where's the 's' damn you Lucas) has begun, so again the accomplishments of the good guys are hollow and useless.

#35 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself

Posted 26 April 2005 - 12:03 AM

Yeah, it's not like we needed additional reasons to enjoy the OT.

The new films just don't have heart. Haven't so far anyway. Han in the HS had heart.

#36 User is offline   Mnesymone Icon

• Champion
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Food, books, movies, history, languages, religions (though I'm an atheist), miracles of nature and marvels of technology.<br /><br />Particularly: steak, the Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, The Dark Ages in Europe, the 'created' languages, the mythologies of defunct European cultures, fish and cars.

Posted 26 April 2005 - 08:48 PM

Don't have heart? Don't have heart?
They have plenty of heart - they have people falling in love by having humorous flea-riding accidents and Gungan generals mourning over the Jedi Master who saved their life and a bad guy with such keen emotions that the only reward he asks for lending his genes to the Kamino is that they make him a son... (sniff... tear) - You're right, they don't have heart.

Just as an aside, is it just me or did Jango Fett get much less menacing after we realise he's not a mercenary since his only reward is Boba, after we see his apartment. He becomes seriously less menacing when Mace Windu finishes him off with impunity at the very least.

Nice Custom Rank by the way.

(Yay, I'm a Soothsayer now)

This post has been edited by Mnesymone: 26 April 2005 - 08:49 PM

#37 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself

Posted 26 April 2005 - 09:04 PM

Thanks, Mnesymone. Hey! I remember scoring that level.

If Jango gets points for being creepy, I'll give him that.

But it's really a stupid name. Boba might as well have had no father either.

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size