• (2 Pages)
  • +

TV & Movie Drinking Tuesday, December 12, 2006

#1 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 12 December 2006 - 05:59 PM

I've totally had it with people drinking on TV and in the movies. I don't mean that I am morally opposed to it, I just can't stand how poorly every actor or actress EVER pretends to be drinking.

You've seen it. An actor or actress will lift up a glass of hard alcohol (usually brownish in color), take a sip and then overreact to it in the following manner. First, the person will turn their head to the left or right while puckering their lips and squinting their eyes. Next, the actor or actress will swallow the liquid. After that, the actor or actress will exhale sharply, usually followed by a light or heavy cough. Finally, they will say something like, "Wow," or, in the case of Chevy Chase, mutter something completely unintelligible like, "Hot jamamma woo woo." (The latter may also apply to Martin Short or Steve Martin.)

This, much like the Samuel L. Jackson thing, had been annoying me for a really long time but I was reminded of it most recently when I saw Cousellor Troi drink unconvincingly in Star Trek: First Contact and finally last night while watching a god awful Lifetime Christmas movie where a bride can't get to a wedding and she finally gets a ride with a biker gang and then some Vietnam veterans fly her to the church during a blizzard (seriously, check it out).

The thing is, no one drinks like this. Often times they portray a businessman who drinks every day as drinking in this fashion. Someone who drinks daily is usually adjusted enough to not recoil from a sip of whiskey. Neither do regular people. I probably consume two or three tiny glasses of brandy on the rocks in the winter time when I have a bad cold or I'm looking to warm up on a particularly cold evening. I've never had my head shoot from side to side after taking a tiny sip of hard alcohol. Maybe pure grain alcohol would give an average person a bit of a shock, but regular 80 proof whiskey (while strong) shouldn't make a grown man or woman lose control of their senses.

This madness has to stop. I would like to hereby call to all actors to better hone their fake drinking skills. If you need to practice, just try replacing that water with actual hard liquor and look in a mirror at your actual normal human reaction. You'll find that there is little change in your facial exp​ression other than an indication that there is a liquid in your gullet.

Good luck.
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#2 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 12 December 2006 - 07:01 PM

you need to watch 'Mr Jolly Lives Next Door' or the dangerous brothers.

there's something classy about sir richard dangerous and sir adrian dangerous opening a bottle of gin by smashing the top of against the wooden liquor cabinet and pouring half of it into one vase and the other half into another dropping a couple of whole lemons into each and then adding a tiny splash of tonic water.

pure class.

#3 User is offline   Vesuvius Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 12 December 2006 - 07:03 PM

I'd see the same behavior in a Japanese restaurant that I would go to. Some new guy acts hard as nails and tries to down a cup of sake. Yes, it's strong, but it's not as strong as everyone plays it out to be. And the cup is only big enough to hold an ounce, maybe a bit more, and the guy gasps, throws it all back, beats on the table, his friends laugh, and he doesn't even finish the bottle.

When I drink it, I never get that reaction. I too can "throw it back" and I just swallow it. Nothing big. Maybe I'm not drinking the good sake.

#4 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • Group: Admin

Posted 12 December 2006 - 07:11 PM

Maybe if it's really crappy sake. But that wouldn't be from the alcohol content which is usually around the same as wine. It'd be from the nasty taste.
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#5 User is offline   Vesuvius Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 12 December 2006 - 07:19 PM

QUOTE (Chefelf @ Dec 12 2006, 07:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Maybe if it's really crappy sake. But that wouldn't be from the alcohol content which is usually around the same as wine. It'd be from the nasty taste.

laugh.gif Hey, could be. I drink it to kill anything that maybe alive still on my sushi...

#6 User is offline   Chyld Icon

• Ancient Monstrosity
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 December 2006 - 10:48 PM

At most, with my peer groups, you're going to get a slight gasp and a scrunched up face. And I'm trying to recall if that was with my actual peers, or with whatever underage drinkers I chilled with in France this summer.

I try and down my shots with decorum. Fling it down, face in neutral, clench teeth if needs be. Even if its something like Old Nick, which is apparently a punch, looks like cheap, undiluted orange squash, but tastes like how you'd imagine your piss to after drinking bad vodka AND bad tequila all night.

However, all bets are off when its Black Death Tequilla. That stuff should either be illegal, or used to fuel cars.
When you lose your calm, you feed your anger.

Less Is More v4
Now resigned to a readership of me, my cat and some fish

#7 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 13 December 2006 - 09:47 AM

I was enjoying a strong french martini last night. Took a big swig, downed it, and made that shudder face with head tossing effect for no other reason than the alcohol. Then again, I'm a whiskey person usually, and hardly a lightweight.

#8 User is offline   Lefty Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Redcloud Collective

Post icon  Posted 13 December 2006 - 12:48 PM

I know one person who might lose control of his senses when drinking! wub.gif

or perhaps one drink that might make anyone lose control. sick.gif

L&E updates: useful in every-day conversation!

#9 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 13 December 2006 - 07:04 PM

people should sip sake, it's nice and yummy.

#10 User is offline   Jaded Wolf Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 13 December 2006 - 07:17 PM

So this is where I show my Star Trek geekiness side. Counselor Troi was reacting because in their time they did not have exposure to the alcohol which is prevalent in our time. Even though their synthesizers could reproduce the drink, it was "synthenol" and not true alcohol. They had to smuggle drinks from other species to get the strong stuff. So okay, my geekiness is over. Still though I do agree that most movies play fake with it like other stuff Hollywood portrays.
"And shepherds we shall be for Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth unto Thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti!!!"

#11 User is offline   Vesuvius Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 13 December 2006 - 08:36 PM

QUOTE (barend @ Dec 13 2006, 07:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
people should sip sake, it's nice and yummy.

I'm with you 100% on that one. I just take my time in the restaurant and watch the Japanese ladies. wub.gif

Few things in this state make me smile, that be one of them.

This post has been edited by Vesuvius: 13 December 2006 - 08:36 PM

#12 User is offline   David-kyo Icon

• Goatboy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:None of your business.

Posted 14 December 2006 - 06:55 AM

I have to confess that even though I major in Japanese and I am also a Japanese fanboy I've never been able to come to terms with sake. Sushi I like, and I am capable of eating a tube of wasabi on its own, but sake... I just f*%&ing hate it. Moreover, I can't understand why so many people are so fond of the miso soup, either.

But I agree with you 100% on the pretty Japanese women. biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by David-kyo: 14 December 2006 - 06:56 AM

#13 User is offline   Spoon Poetic Icon

• Pimpin'
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 15 December 2006 - 01:11 AM

I'm with Jaded Wolf... There have been a Star Trek few episodes where it has been pointed out that everybody now drinks "synthenol" and no one is used to the real kick of alcohol. The most noted episode of that would probably one where the dude that played Scotty in the original series is a guest star (Scotty apparently got stuck in a timewarp or something, and ended up on TNG)... Scotty tries synthetic whisky, proclaims it to be crap, and wants the real stuff or something like that, so he ends up with some funny green alien alcohol. So you can't blame Troi. tongue.gif (Though she's a sucky character anyway so meh.) Yep, I'm a geek, too.
I am writing about Jm in my signature because apparently it's an effective method of ignoring him.

#14 User is offline   Vesuvius Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 15 December 2006 - 07:36 PM

Boo! Star Trek!

Hooray! Hard Liquor and joys of taking down an entire bottle of Kahlua without a silly exp​ression!

#15 User is offline   Spoon Poetic Icon

• Pimpin'
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 15 December 2006 - 11:06 PM

Is Kahlúa even considered a hard liquor? I was pretty sure it was a liqueur... like, 20% alcohol, and 80% sugar... tongue.gif I doubt anyone would make a face drinking that, unless it was from the sweetness. Kinda like Bailey's.
I am writing about Jm in my signature because apparently it's an effective method of ignoring him.

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size