Chefelf.com Night Life: The Star Wars Holiday Special - Chefelf.com Night Life

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

The Star Wars Holiday Special My Review... at last.

#1 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 18 April 2005 - 09:55 AM

That's it. I've done it. I've gone where no man has gone before and returned to share my knowledge so that no other will have to go through what I've gone through.

<own horn toot>

I have reviewed The Star Wars Holiday Special from 1978. Sure, many others have also done this but no one has tackled it quite the way I have. I have divided the movie up into 27 distinct chapters and fully explored each, complete with screen shots and full commentary. Others have only dared to discuss certain aspects of the special where I have left no space stone unturned.

</own horn toot>

I'm pretty sure that I set a record for the most viewings of the Star Wars Holiday Special without the aid of fast forward at an unprecedented 3 (three) viewings! If that doesn't sound impressive to you then you have clearly never seen the Star Wars Holiday Special.

If you can stand it, check out my review of the Star Wars Holiday Special at Lance & Eskimo .
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#2 User is offline   HK 47 Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 18 April 2005 - 10:25 AM

Woot! Woot! You made my week Chef! I had great difficulty supressing insane cackling and howls of insanity while reading it. Thanks! biggrin.gif thumbsup.gif

(Oh no, Mark Hamill has nothing to be ashamed of, nothing at all...)

This is by far my favourite. What the f**k is that thing pretending to be Mark Hamill!??

This post has been edited by HK 47: 18 April 2005 - 10:30 AM

#3 User is offline   ernesttomlinson Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 18 April 2005 - 10:33 AM

Man. You've got guts. Or did you have to ease the pain with a fifth of Jim Beam?

I have seen the idea that the Holiday Special hints at Lucas's future cutesification of Star Wars but, if I remember rightly, Lucas had almost nothing to do with the Holiday Special, so the idea is far-fetched.

(edited:) I almost forgot to add this comment: I'd seen still photos from Hamill's appearance on the Holiday Special and concluded from his unnatural grin that he was probably lit up on something; it had never occurred to me that his face was still in bad shape from his motor accident. My bad.

This post has been edited by ernesttomlinson: 18 April 2005 - 10:35 AM

#4 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan

Posted 18 April 2005 - 11:06 AM

QUOTE (ernesttomlinson @ Apr 18 2005, 10:33 AM)
I'd seen still photos from Hamill's appearance on the Holiday Special and concluded from his unnatural grin that he was probably lit up on something; it had never occurred to me that his face was still in bad shape from his motor accident.  My bad.

Carrie Fisher on the other hand... rolleyes.gif

Wait until next Monday and you will see.

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#5 User is offline   floppydisk Icon

• The Amazing Bag-Man!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Movies. Books. Video Games.

Posted 18 April 2005 - 11:12 AM

Are his son and father really named Itchy and Lumpy? What the fuck? That thing isn't even close to being a wookie.
QUOTE (Theodor Herzl)
If you will it, it is no dream.

#6 User is offline   Michel Orla Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Many, many things....some which wouldn't be suitable for a forum of this kind ;)

Posted 18 April 2005 - 11:45 AM

I don't blame you for doing the review in segments. To have to watch that whole again all at once then dissect it is tortured not even Lucas deserves. Your review in Chapter 3 is dead on (as with all the other chapters as well) How the hell did the makers of this film think ANYBODY, let alone children, would want to see ten minutes straight of Wookie talk. And I use to think Jar Jar was by far the most annoying thing in the Star Wars universe, but Lumpy can give him a run for his money

#7 User is offline   CowboyCurtis Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I lose interest in more things each and every day as things grow more and more mediocre and substandard...

Posted 18 April 2005 - 12:05 PM

Oh, thank God I never saw this!
Flying Ferret

Battle for the Galaxy--read the "other Star Wars"

All I know is I haven't seen the real prequels yet.

#8 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 18 April 2005 - 12:06 PM

Well I'VE seen it at least seven times. Mind you, I only have the real player version and it's a general time waster background filler kind of material, while I crank out the production work. the quality's not so great. I never noticed Lumpy's balance beam antics.

But now that I've discovered beatlesarama.com I may never watch it again!

Chef, why not list the commercials while at it? Oh. I guess it would raise the quality level.

Post more soon. "I'll be waiting." happy.gif

#9 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan

Posted 18 April 2005 - 01:16 PM

QUOTE (Despondent @ Apr 18 2005, 12:06 PM)
Well I'VE seen it at least seven times. Mind you, I only have the real player version and it's a general time waster background filler kind of material, while I crank out the production work.

Oh man. 7 times? I bet I paid closer attention than anyone ever has though. tongue.gif

Yeah, I had an old MPEG version that was REALLY crappy quality. Compressed video captured from a 25 year old VHS tape is usually not superb. wink.gif The DVD I have is the same as the VHS quality and that's decent.

But now that I've discovered beatlesarama.com I may never watch it again!

Great. Now that you've shown me that I will never watch again either. Man, what a great thing that is!!

Chef, why not list the commercials while at it? Oh. I guess it would raise the quality level.

Well, that is one of the Special Features I'm planning. Unfortunately the DVD I have (that has commercials) doesn't enjoy my computer very much so getting screen caps are a bit difficult.

Post more soon. "I'll be waiting."  happy.gif

Check Lance & Eskimo for the next three Mondays and you'll see the follow ups. smile.gif

#10 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 18 April 2005 - 06:14 PM

yeah... the only thing worse than watching 20 minutes of untranslated wookie groaning is haveing one of them (sala) look like a fucking train wreck victim, and a character named LUMPY!!!

LUMPY!!!

whoo the fuck would call their kid LUMPY?
that's the worst name since RED "pokins" SIX

why didn't they just cally him "what's a fat muthufucker gonna do, eat some more fried chicken"

#11 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -

Posted 18 April 2005 - 06:57 PM

Thank you. Yes, thank you so much for going through that for us. You must be made of very strong stuff indeed, sir.

I must say also that you haven't lost your comic flair. Your review thus far had me splitting my sides, trying not to laugh out loud like an idiot.

And Itchy? Lumpy?

ITCHY? LUMPY?

Oh dear. Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear...

Thank the maker I've never seen this horror.

#12 User is offline   Michel Orla Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Many, many things....some which wouldn't be suitable for a forum of this kind ;)

Posted 18 April 2005 - 07:06 PM

I hope you mention the giant rat in the Cantina. It kinda goes with the stupidity of the whole special biggrin.gif (And as a side note, the giant rat was actually suppose to be in the original Star Wars Cantina scene until Lucas decided better. Just goes to show he actually did have good judgement at one time)

This post has been edited by Michel Orla: 18 April 2005 - 07:07 PM

#13 User is offline   Helena Icon

• Basher Extraordinaire
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Current age: 22<br /><br />Current occupation: Auditor<br /><br />Interests: Reading, computer games, music, and Star Wars (obviously).<br /><br />Talents: Can't act, can't dance, can sing a little.<br /><br />Loves: Terry Pratchett's 'Discworld' series.<br /><br />Hates: Harry Potter. Surely I can't be the only one?

Posted 19 April 2005 - 05:23 AM

biggrin.gif More! More! We want more!
The sandpeople had women and children. We know this because Anakin killed them how could he tell? The children might be smaller but I never saw a sandperson with breasts. Did they hike their skirts and show him some leg or something?

Also, I can see the point of wanting to kidnap a human and use her as a slave, but they didn't. They tied her to a flimsy easel for a month. It's assumed they had to feed and give her water. What for? Was she purely ornamental? I can understand them wanting the droids, you can sell those for a lot of money, but a chick who's only skills are finding non-existand mushrooms and getting randomly pregnant, you're not going to get much.

- J m HofMarN on the Sand People

#14 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan

Posted 19 April 2005 - 08:37 PM

QUOTE (Michel Orla @ Apr 18 2005, 07:06 PM)
I hope you mention the giant rat in the Cantina. It kinda goes with the stupidity of the whole special  biggrin.gif  (And as a side note, the giant rat was actually suppose to be in the original Star Wars Cantina scene until Lucas decided better. Just goes to show he actually did have good judgement at one time)

Damn... I TOTALLY forgot about that. I think I got too carried away with the whole Ackmena/Cantina thing.

Perhaps I can amend my review before it is updated.

QUOTE (Helena @ Apr 19 2005, 05:23 AM)
biggrin.gif More! More! We want more!

Stay tuned, Helena. More to come next Monday. smile.gif

#15 User is offline   Mnesymone Icon

• Champion
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Food, books, movies, history, languages, religions (though I'm an atheist), miracles of nature and marvels of technology.<br /><br />Particularly: steak, the Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, The Dark Ages in Europe, the 'created' languages, the mythologies of defunct European cultures, fish and cars.

Posted 20 April 2005 - 09:20 PM

(Noise of thigh-slapping, booming laughter and tears of joy)

Damn Funny!

The review, not the Holiday Special.

I admire your courage.

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size