Page 1 of 1

SESSION 9. Scary. Fucking. Movie.

#1 User is offline   floppydisk Icon

• The Amazing Bag-Man!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Movies. Books. Video Games.

Post icon  Posted 13 April 2005 - 03:01 PM

I doubt that anyone's heard of Session 9, but I rented it from blockbuster the other day, and all I can say is 'wow'.

Quickly promoted to my favorite scary movie ever, Session 9 is about a group of 5 men that are contracted by the city to clean the asbestos out of an abondoned mental hospital. Fittingly enough, the main theme of the movie is madness. The five characters are stressed to the breaking point by internal conflicts, in addition to having to clean out the massive hospital in only a week. One of the men uncovers records of a patient of the institute, and listens to the sessions. The movie slowly builds up until the terrifying conclusion, Session 9. I'm not going any deeper into the plot than that. You'll just have to see it for yourself.

Unlike many contemporary scary movies, Session 9 relies on atmosphere and immersion to scare you rather than quick shocks. It was filmed at an actual abadoned institution, so the detail is believable and amazing. The score is amazing, and seriously adds to the atmosphere.

The only problem I had was with the characters. They weren't very well defined, and I don't remember any of thier names. One character's whole point in the movie doesn't make sense (you'll get it once you see the movie).

Other than that, this is one of my all-time best horror movies, so go rent it! Why the hell are you still reading this?! Go rent Session 9! On DVD or VHS! Go! Now!
QUOTE (Theodor Herzl)
If you will it, it is no dream.

#2 User is offline   Icey Icon

• n00b
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Being infested by parasites. Fighting members of the Kennedy family, kidnapping the President's daughter. Moaning.<br />

Posted 13 April 2005 - 03:49 PM

Saw it when I was your age, and I absolutely love it! I've often thought of renting it again, but I fear ruining the magic because at that time... It was a magical film in my eyes, one that pushed me harder into film making by saying to me "check me out, I'm a horror film and I have a plot plus good writing!"

The ending shook me to the bone and I just sat idly in front of the TV screen letting it all seep in. A feeling I terribly miss.

#3 User is offline   floppydisk Icon

• The Amazing Bag-Man!

Posted 13 April 2005 - 04:39 PM

Now that I have a Session 9 veteran, I can discuss spoilers...

*Spoiler alert* Drag mouse across blank space to see it.
If you looked at the special features, you'll hear the director say that the dude with the red hair didn't exist. He was in the Irish guy's imagination. That doesn't make sense. If the guy really didn't exist, he wouldn't be able to have conversations with the other people. Like the scene on the roof. He had the phone, and they had an argument. The other crew would've seen him arguing with the air. I prefer to believe that he did in fact exist, but the Irish guy killed him first, and that's why he dissappeared in that end scene. What say you?
*End Spoiler*

This post has been edited by floppydisk: 13 April 2005 - 04:39 PM

QUOTE (Theodor Herzl)

#4 User is offline   Icey Icon

• n00b
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Being infested by parasites. Fighting members of the Kennedy family, kidnapping the President's daughter. Moaning.<br />

Posted 14 April 2005 - 02:53 AM

I always took it as that he was the Simon part of him. The thingy in the shadowy parts of his life. When Gordon (I think his name was Gordon) did do something, it was always the Simon part of him that drove him to do it, played by David Caruso. And remember in Fight Club, he starts beating himself up and interracting with himself in front of people, we just let it pass. They've propably noticed that he was going a little loopy and just didn't do anything because they cared about him. But then again I haven't seen it in years.

I didn't get the DVD when I saw it, it was a mere VHS

#5 User is offline   Lord Aquaman Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Movies, comic books, some mythology... basically anything that's larger than life.

Posted 14 April 2005 - 08:07 AM

When was "Session 9" made?
I am the Fisher King.

I'd like a qui-gon jinn please with an obi-wan to go.

#6 User is offline   Icey Icon

• n00b
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 April 2005 - 09:12 AM

In 2001, a rather small indy flick, I think.

#7 User is offline   floppydisk Icon

• The Amazing Bag-Man!

Posted 14 April 2005 - 03:13 PM

Yeah, Icey's right, but I recognize some of the actors. Where did I see them?

spoiler
Yeah, that may be. They gave him some wierd looks... But you'll recall that in Fight Club, Tyler and Jack would interact with others one at a time. You never saw both of them talking to someone at the same time. The only time something wierd happened was when he fought with himself.

And I really like the Idea that Simon was the evil part of him, always urging him to be terrible, but it's kind of hard to believe with all that happened in the movie.

end spoiler

This post has been edited by floppydisk: 14 April 2005 - 03:18 PM

QUOTE (Theodor Herzl)

#8 User is offline   Icey Icon

• n00b
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 April 2005 - 05:53 PM

CSI and CSI Miami, and if you're a veteran movie goer, Kiss of Death.

#9 User is offline   floppydisk Icon

• The Amazing Bag-Man!

Posted 15 April 2005 - 02:41 PM

Wuh? I don't like detective shows, except for Monk.
QUOTE (Theodor Herzl)

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size