• You cannot reply to this topic

Star Trek - is it fascist?

#16 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 15 April 2005 - 06:40 PM

My graphing calculator is being facist lately. Could this be the end of me?
Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#17 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

• Knows All The Girls Named Lola
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Tyranny

Posted 16 April 2005 - 05:41 AM

The tears that this topic made me cry are covertly fascist.

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.
- Deucaon toes a hard line on gay fetus rights.

#18 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 16 April 2005 - 11:43 AM

Personally, I've been thinking that Stargate is fairly facist lately. We go around the galaxy fighting facisim in the form of fake gods, then implement our own ideals on the cultures.

That being said, it's the same on anything similar, from Sliders to whichever gunsliging sci-fi you'd like to name.

This post has been edited by SimeSublime: 16 April 2005 - 11:44 AM

The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#19 User is offline   Hannibal Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Former Members

Posted 16 April 2005 - 01:20 PM

We go around the galaxy fighting facisim in the form of fake gods, then implement our own ideals on the cultures.

Actually thats not fascism, its freemasonry...haven't you ever seen the Sean Connery flick, MAN WHO WOULD BE KING?

This post has been edited by Hannibal: 16 April 2005 - 01:21 PM

"Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities also has the power to make you commit atrocities."
~ Voltaire (1694-1778)

Enjoy this Tribute to Nazism...(Mp3)

#20 User is offline   Kirby Icon

• Zzzz
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Geeking out and nerding it up.

Posted 16 April 2005 - 04:56 PM

I say the simpsons are fascist. Look at the google ads...

LOOK!!
The Power of Christ Impales You!
- Tagline for Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter

You've read it, you can't un-read it. Stay tooned for more
TALES OF INTEREST.
I like to be part of the crowd so I want to say that Icey is the best guy ever

#21 User is offline   Hannibal Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Former Members

Posted 17 April 2005 - 01:00 AM

You wouldn't think so at first, but there are a lot of similarities between the Love Boat and Star Trek : The Next Generation television shows, for example...

Love Boat
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Star Trek
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bald captain
Bald captain
Young Vicki is related to a crewmember and works on the ship
Young Wesley is related to a crewmember and works on the ship
Ship's doctor is a main character
Ship's doctor is a main character
Julie the cruise director is sexy but annoying
Troi the ships' counselor is sexy but annoying
Actors stand in front of screen, upon which is projected background of open sea
Actors stand in front of screen, upon which is projected background of open space
A dumping ground for second-rate washed-up guest stars
A dumping ground for second-rate washed-up guest stars
Going to strange new ports-of-call
Going to strange new worlds
Cheesy opening song
Cheesy opening song
Too many scenes of self-indulgent crap in the lounge
Too many scenes of self-indulgent crap in the Holodeck
In late-night syndication
In late-night syndication
Socially retarded character with job description for name (Gopher)
Socially retarded character with job description for name (Data)
Bad 2-hour pilot
Bad 2-hour pilot
Love Boat has lifeboats and flotation devices
Enterprise has shuttlecraft and saucer section and emergency pods
Scenes lined by ship shots
Scenes lined by ship shots
One character inexplicably replaced, then returned (Julie)
One character inexplicably replaced, then returned (Crusher)
After-the-fact bed scenes with pointless discussion
After-the-fact bed scenes with pointless discussion
Captain straightens uniform when disgusted / angry / nervous
Captain straightens uniform when disgusted / angry / nervous
Final scene takes place on loading dock; crew waves goodbye
Final scene takes place on transporter; crew waves goodbye
Aaron Spelling rules with iron fist, annoying die-hard fans
Gene Roddenberry rules with iron fist, annoying die-hard fans
At conventions, everyone is dressed like Dr. Adam Bricker
At conventions, everyone is dressed like Mr. Spock
Isaac the bartender is black
Whoopi Goldberg the bartender is black
Intercrew friction always resolved within allocated 1 hour time slot
Intercrew friction always resolved within allocated 1 hour time slot

This post has been edited by Hannibal: 17 April 2005 - 01:02 AM

"Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities also has the power to make you commit atrocities."
~ Voltaire (1694-1778)

Enjoy this Tribute to Nazism...(Mp3)

#22 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 17 April 2005 - 01:50 AM

The early years of NEXT GENERATION were actually very good. Q was always a treat to watch.

My mother and I went to a bunch of ST conventions. I saw Q live once. He's a total asshole. So smug "no pictures, please, thanks, no really, no pictures"

Want to know something funny? All the cast members that made an apperance and spoke before the crowd ALL DID A SHAKESPEARE MONOLOGUE!!!!

It's hilarious, they hate being only seen as trekkers, so they desperately try flaunt their acting ability.

If you ever hear word of a star trek convention going on near your town, GO TO IT. You'll never encounter so many uncomfortabley funny moments. The actor who plays that ferengi QUARK, on deep space nine, well when he was having Q&A before a huge audience, some kid asked him if he was a Jew. The parents laughed, and everybody else just held their breath, Quark came back with "what do you think kid, next question". My face turned red, I slipped in my seat, and prayed for the Q&A to end. This is in addition to about 100 questions pertaining to things that quark could not answer, like 'do Ferengi have an affinity to do evil'. Like the actor fricken knows! NO wonder he did a 10 minute bore fest from Hamlet.
Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#23 User is offline   jariten Icon

• making the nature scene
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 April 2005 - 07:57 AM

QUOTE (civilian_number_two @ Apr 15 2005, 03:28 PM)
  Was T3 fascist? I am undecided.

That bit where her breasts get bigger, I think that was fascist.

#24 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 18 April 2005 - 11:35 AM

QUOTE (jariten @ Apr 18 2005, 07:57 AM)
That bit where her breasts get bigger, I think that was fascist.

biggrin.gif I was thinking more like the whole theme of "Judgement Day is inevitable."
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#25 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 18 April 2005 - 05:17 PM

the bit where the camera followed the naked woman from behind on a windless night and not in front from slightly further away with the wind blowing her hair of her chest was DEFINATLEY and DEFIANTLY facist!!!

#26 User is offline   Otal Nimrodi Icon

• Miracle Ghost
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I like my my little pony characters like I like my suspected criminals. Mirandized.

Posted 27 June 2005 - 09:00 PM

while never having witnessed this T3 thing of which you speak, I would say that it sounds more perverted. And the fact that my avatar has picture of a Goa'uld, I believe I can say that I rather like Stargate. And the Goa'uld, which shows that the fascist message hasn't quite reached me yet. I frequently have dreams about being one. but I grow distracted. Also, as I believe has already been said, but I may have mis-interpreted, If you look for fascism, you will find fascism. It is best summed up in the old saying "seek and ye shall find."

But that's just my opinion, I may be wrong.
Want a Tarot reading?

PM me, we'll talk.

#27 User is offline   Mirithorn Icon

• Expert Misologist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 July 2005 - 02:22 PM

Hey, Picard straightening his uniform I can understand. My father gave me a uniform for Christmas- and I'm quite thankful for it, but it does have one drawback- for some reason he thought it prudent to get extra large when I am a medium at most. So the shoulders are much wider than my shoulders, and when I move my arms, I move the whole shirt. So unless I keep tugging the hemline down, it comes up about six inches whenever I move. And, though this is long past, and slightly irrelevant, I've always had a problem with Sesame Street. I can't follow the plotlines now. I really pity four year olds trying to make sense of them. They seem to go: beginning of story, song, letter, part of show, beginning of other story, number, part of show, second part of first story, beginning of another story, ANOTHER song... At least I understand the Teletubbies plotlines.
"YOU'RE MISSING A PERIOD. YOU THINK IT'S FUNNY, DON'T YOU? YOU THINK IT'S FUNNY THAT YOU FUCK WITH GRAMMAR? WELL, FUCK YOU AND FUCK YOUR MISSING PERIOD! I HOPE IT MEANS YOUR SLUTTY, NON-PUNCTUATED WAYS HAVE GOTTEN YOU TEEN-PREGNANT!"

#28 User is offline   Paladin Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 August 2005 - 01:42 PM

No, Star Trek isn't fascist, but is communist.

Check this website out.

Mike Wong's page

This place has all the info you need on the basic politics of Star Trek and just how stupid the physics is, too. You can also read the flame wars about people who sned Mike Wong hate mail.

#29 User is offline   Darth Sane Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 03 September 2005 - 11:26 PM

Yes....startrek is FACIST. its facism for f*#cki8ng hyper liberals who want the world to be all politically correct. Its a f%$cking horrible, oppressive universe.

#30 User is offline   makingfun22_sw Icon

• New Cop
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 27 November 2008 - 12:47 AM

Far from it.
The Prime Directive prohibits it. Federation is tollerant, though strong in its opinion about themselves.
It's like saying i don't mind you having different opinion than the one i have but i demand that you allow the same benefit to me.
The Federation never went on a planet and said you do this, this way? We do it better. We are right you are wrong. The most a Starfleet officer would do is say "I disagree".
Besides fascism is a political system. The opposite of Democracy one might say. In early 20th century there were in excistence fascist political parties like the nazi party of Germany. Don't confuse political parties (Nazi party), political systems (fascism, Democracy) and ideology (Racism). One complements the other but there are difrencies. The federation is a Democracy (it has been stated that the people vote) and believes in tolerance (so there is no racism).
If something, you might call the federation citizents strong willed (moderate characterization) or fanatic (excessive characterization) in their views.
As for when the Prime Directive is being thrown out the airlock from starfleet's captains. This happens because the Prime Directive is TOO confiding and for GOOD reason in my opinion. You can't interfere in another planet's internal affairs, you can't "show" yourself in Pre-warp civilizations etc. So while travelling space sometimes it happens and inevitable you broke the Law. Imagine your ship while investigates a pre warp planet from orbit to get damaged and fall. You are found by the locals who live in a similar technological state as this of the 18th century. Oops you just broke the Prime Directive. The whole fact is how much you will affect their society. Your goal, according to federation moral standards, as little as possible. This contradicts the notion that the federation travels space and says to other planets what to do.

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic