Chefelf.com Night Life: Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy - Chefelf.com Night Life

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy :(

#16 User is offline   jariten Icon

• making the nature scene
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 30 April 2005 - 04:04 PM

they've got it. Not all of it mind you, but its there. The scene after it though is another one of those "whats the point of this?" bits.

#17 User is offline   Vwing Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 30 April 2005 - 04:09 PM

QUOTE (Jane Sherwood @ Apr 30 2005, 03:20 PM)
Does the movie have the falling sperm whale part?  There's few things in this world that can beat a whale blowing up or going SPLAT.  The first time I read it I was in a fit of hysterical giggles for about ten solid minutes.

Yep it's there, that was what preceded the petunia thing I talked about, and while the petunias were not funny, the whale was. In my opinion, that was one of the funnier scenes in the movie. Mind you, it did have some very good, funny, moments. The point of view gun was a good scene too. It just didn't have too many moments like that. And the middle, as Jariten said, is extremely muddled and boring. It's not bad, it's just as Jariten said, meh.

#18 User is offline   Veer Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 30 April 2005 - 07:33 PM

QUOTE (Jane Sherwood @ Apr 30 2005, 01:20 PM)
Does the movie have the falling sperm whale part?  There's few things in this world that can beat a whale blowing up or going SPLAT.  The first time I read it I was in a fit of hysterical giggles for about ten solid minutes.

Yes, the whale was there, the scene plays out pretty much verbatim as it does in the book. It's funny, but not as hilarious as in the book - the most satisfying part is when the whale hits the ground with a nice 'whump!' rather than the dialog.
I quite liked the movie and wouldn't mind seeing it again. The funniest parts were the scenes NOT in the book. Not telling, don't want to spoil the surprise. That said I do give the movie high marks - I mean when I first read the book I thought it would be impossible to make it into a movie.

#19 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 01 May 2005 - 05:47 AM

I just want to be a total nerd and remind you all that "the book" is not the source for Hitchhiker. It was radio play first, then a book, then another radio series, then another book, then a TV series (available on DVD; buy it!). Finally a third book, which is quite good, and a pair of bad books which are quite bad. Here is chronology for those of you who are curious:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A943184

The second radio series is all completely different and not represented in any of the the books, though a small detail from it snuck its way into the film. A lot of it is very good.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#20 User is offline   Chyld Icon

• Ancient Monstrosity
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team

Posted 01 May 2005 - 07:08 AM

I'm personally horrified by the way they're handling Zaphod's heads, but I haven't seen it, and the fanboy in me is quite prepared to give it the benefit of the doubt...
When you lose your calm, you feed your anger.

Less Is More v4
Now resigned to a readership of me, my cat and some fish

#21 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 01 May 2005 - 08:32 AM

I never really liked Zaphod to begin with, so I wasn't too worried about what they did to his character. Once I found out that there were two heads and three arms, I didn't care much about him anymore.

The romance really shouldn't have been there, that annoyed me alot. Bloody Disney.

The Whale was great. I should also point out that it was voiced by Bill Baily, who plays Manny in Black Books. Excellent choice. Actually, I think they chose good voice actors for all the non-human parts. Alan Rickman did an excellent Marvin, and the vogons were excellent as well.
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#22 User is offline   floppydisk Icon

• The Amazing Bag-Man!
  • Interests:Movies. Books. Video Games.

Posted 02 May 2005 - 03:11 PM

Yep, just saw it yesterday. It was okay, but they needed to do away with the romance and put more whales in it. I still like the books better.

I think they did an excellent job with Zaphod's character, despite the extra limbs thing.
QUOTE (Theodor Herzl)
If you will it, it is no dream.

#23 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 02 May 2005 - 04:15 PM

I think I agree nearly 100% with what civ2 said here. Jen and I went to see it yesterday and it was a great way to spend a nice Sunday afternoon in the city.

*MILD SPOILERS*

I thought that the whole Hollywood-needing-to-have-a-romance-thing was clearly evident and not necessary. Zaphod was a lot of fun but the two heads thing was very oddly done. I'd always imagined the heads being parallel. Sam Rockwell put on one hell of a performance whether it's the Zaphod you'd imagined or not.

Mos Def is Mos Def and whether he's acting or rapping I am a huge fan.

I thought that Arthur Dent was portrayed extremely well.

I thought the Vogons were actually quite good. The use of ACTUAL people in suits was refreshing after so many movies insisting on using CGI for such characters. Puppetry and animitronics have coming a LONG way in the past ten years but you wouldn't really know it since movie makers don't use the technology in favor of CGI.

The visuals were all amazing. Great effects. A perfect use of CGI to enhance (rather than replace) the sets and surroundings was very nicely done. I wish George Lucas would take a cue from movies like this. It was great to see actors outdoors with real wind moving their hair and interacting with creatures and surroundings that weren't just added in afterwards.

The movie did a good job capturing the fun aspects of the book. The cut scenes of the guide were pretty well done.

It had an excellent soundtrack. I'm looking to pick up a copy. smile.gif

All in all it was fun to watch but it didn't blow me away. I really appreciated what they did with it and how it was put together but I'm not counting down the seconds until I see it again.
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#24 User is offline   Slade Icon

• Full of Bombs and/or Keys
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 03 May 2005 - 12:38 AM

I'm sorry, but if God doesn't dissapear in a puff of logic then I want no part of it.* And not that I have anything against religion**, it's just hilarious that he accidentally causes himself to cease to exist. It's a general absurdity thing.

* Well, I'll probably check it out some time.

**Ok, I lied, but that's still beside the point.
This space for rent. Inquire within.

#25 User is offline   jariten Icon

• making the nature scene
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 May 2005 - 05:32 AM

in the film Ford never explains how they managed to get a lift from the Vogons, and the Babel fish story is lacking its punchline

there was a lot of stuff left unexplained, and a lot of sequences which lacked a punchline, or indeed a point.

#26 User is offline   Mnesymone Icon

• Champion
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Food, books, movies, history, languages, religions (though I'm an atheist), miracles of nature and marvels of technology.<br /><br />Particularly: steak, the Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, The Dark Ages in Europe, the 'created' languages, the mythologies of defunct European cultures, fish and cars.

Posted 03 May 2005 - 06:19 AM

I'm a pretty heavy fan of the books, and of the late Douglas Adams in general and I thought it was a pretty good alternate rendering of the first book while keeping the same soul.

The only spoiler I had was that Manny from Black Books was doing the whale - I love the whale, and it was good to see it.
The other worlds were alright - meh is a very good term for them.
Alan Rickman was a great Marvin - the look started out wrong for me but I came to agree with it more and more.
The Vogons beauracracticness was overdone... but worked well enough.
As for Trillian - well I had never thought of her as Arthur's girlfriend so that didn't quite sit with me - Zaphods extra bits was done differently to what I expected but was good enough.

In short, it was good. I still prefer the book - but it was still good.

#27 User is offline   Jane Sherwood Icon

• Hello Master
  • Interests:Far too many to list in this tiny space...

Posted 03 May 2005 - 04:03 PM

Does it have the Vogon poetry?
Check out my crappy drawings!

Chyld is an ignorant slut.

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space; I'm a loony, for God's sake!"
- Campbell Bean (David Tennant), Takin' Over the Asylum, 1994
XD

#28 User is offline   floppydisk Icon

• The Amazing Bag-Man!

Posted 03 May 2005 - 05:16 PM

Yes, but it's not nearly as bad as it is in the book, you can hardly hear him recite it. I still say that Marvin should've been more depressed, and made out of old tin cans and such. The big dissapointment with me was that Marvin didn't kill the computer by talking to it, and the cheerful-computer thing should've been emphasized a bit more. (like the cast telling it to shut up)
QUOTE (Theodor Herzl)

#29 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 04 May 2005 - 07:53 AM

I was really disapointed that they failed to explain the absurdity of Ford's name.
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#30 User is offline   floppydisk Icon

• The Amazing Bag-Man!

Posted 04 May 2005 - 01:30 PM

Well, you have to understand that a lot of what went on in the book is dialouge, and not action. Usually lots and lots of dialouge doesn't translate into a movie well, as funny as it may be, so they had to cut parts.
QUOTE (Theodor Herzl)

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size