• Last »

Glamis the Great Audio book Coming to a CD player near you

#1 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

• Knows All The Girls Named Lola
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Tyranny

Posted 05 April 2005 - 08:20 PM

I have decided to publish Glamis as an audiobook. It will likely have to be 3-4 cds at a price of 15-20 dollars. There will be cover art included, some sort of case, a map of Landlandia(the world they inhabit) and an index. The chapters will appear as seperate tracks on the CDs. Included as well will be:

An index of the references,
A text document of Glamis for reading on the computer,
an audio commentary about the making of Glamis,
an aduio commentary about the author,
and whatever else I feel like squeezing in.

The main characters will be voiced by myself. There might be openings for minor characters, and Just Your Average Movie Goer, SimeSublime, Chylde and Slade will be given the most lines if they choose to do so. I'm not quite sure how to work any of this out yet, but it is my fullest intention to begin as soon as I get things organized.

I know that some might not enjoy audiobooks, but it will also come with the text version, which will be more properly edited. I know it's not much, but every CD case will be individually numbered and, in the case of most on this board, signed by my own hand. I'd like to have input from my friends here, as well as anyone who just happens by, but I believe that by the coming year people will be able to own, for a nominal fee, a material piece of my vision- Glamis The Great.

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.
- Deucaon toes a hard line on gay fetus rights.

#2 User is offline   Madam Corvax Icon

• Buggy Purveyor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 April 2005 - 12:52 AM

Are you being serious? Well I'd buy it if you do nice accents on the CD. I suppose mixture of British English, Australaian English and American English would make for an interesting combination. And If you want a Russian accent for some of the communist band of Robear, I would love to help, too. I am not totally hopeless, we are doing voice emmision at college.

#3 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

Posted 06 April 2005 - 02:18 AM

Madam- I wouldn't presume to do it without you. What role would you be interested in? Princess W M Deis perhaps?

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.

#4 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 06 April 2005 - 02:52 AM

Possibly, MG and myself should stick to one race. I assume we have similar accents. I have no real preference in roles, but I'm not sure how many different voices I can do.
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#5 User is offline   Icey Icon

• n00b
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Being infested by parasites. Fighting members of the Kennedy family, kidnapping the President's daughter. Moaning.<br />

Posted 06 April 2005 - 03:16 AM

Hoorah, Audiobook!
I haven't read all of Glamis yet, but what I've read so far, I find highly entertaining. So you can count on me to purchase the CD, also if you need someone to talk with a Björkish accent that would be managable. I will now have to force myself to ignore teachers and outside influences so I can finish reading the book.

#6 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

Posted 06 April 2005 - 04:54 AM

Sime- The basic plan at this point is just to have people voice certain minor characters, maybe a couple of lines a piece, while I do all the major ones. For the first edition I want to keep it as uncomplicated as possible.

Icey- Hey, great to have you aboard! I'm really pleased you're enjoying it and it'll be finished up probably sometime late this month, at which point Slade and I will do some story editing and then I'll do the recording.

#7 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 April 2005 - 05:29 AM

Um... I hate to throw a spanner in the works but...

How do you propose to get people who live in all these different areas of the world to do your voices for you?

It's a nice enough idea though. Having said that, I'm not really an audio book person myself.

#8 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

Posted 06 April 2005 - 06:30 AM

Through the magic of computers my friend. You speak your lines into a microphone, record them to a windows media palyer file, send them to me, and I edit them into the larger tracks and then burn them to cd.

The thing about the audiobook is it also includes the text version so it works for everyone.

#9 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 April 2005 - 06:59 AM

Sounds do-able. Although I don't think I'd be much good to you at the moment. University eats almost all my free time. It IS a bugger.

#10 User is offline   Madam Corvax Icon

• Buggy Purveyor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 April 2005 - 10:23 AM

JM, I can do any role, really. I thought comrade Winifred for Russian accent. But I might do other roles too. I can’t do American accent, but I might try to emulate posh British, because that is what they’ve been trying to teach me at college.

Sending wav files might work, only you have to tell me how to make them smaller. I recoreded some voice for my phonetics exams and the files were enourmous, even though it was only a couple of minutes of speaking.

Side note - I wonder how Bjorkish accent is like smile.gif

Wouldn't it be eerie to hear all your voices!

#11 User is offline   Icey Icon

• n00b
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Being infested by parasites. Fighting members of the Kennedy family, kidnapping the President's daughter. Moaning.<br />

Posted 06 April 2005 - 11:12 AM

Madam, try getting any interview that has been taken where Björk has spoken out, you soon notice she has a very distinctive accent, it's called the Ice-English, sounds horrid. I've, thankfully, managed to shake it off, but can emulate it pretty well.

#12 User is offline   Madam Corvax Icon

• Buggy Purveyor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 April 2005 - 12:48 PM

Gee, I'd love to hear that!

I actually fished my microphone and I am going to practise a little now. JM, you really got me hooked!

#13 User is offline   Madam Corvax Icon

• Buggy Purveyor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 April 2005 - 01:23 PM

Here are the results of experiment.
The lines of Comrade Winired from the episone one before last - app. 30 seconds of recording is 684 kB, managed to pack it to 190 kB using rar.

Can enyone tell me how to make these files smaller in the first place?

#14 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

Posted 06 April 2005 - 08:29 PM

I really dont know terribly much about audio recording at all, but I'm going to try. I'll have a bit of free time tomorrow to get the microphone hooked up and all.

#15 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 07 April 2005 - 02:17 AM

Look for a program called 'right click mp3'. It's easy to use, and will compress .wavs into .mp3, and back again. Makes sending music files easier.
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size