Star Wars Fan Convention

Page 1 of 1

Episode Zero a crazy thought

#1 User is offline   ernesttomlinson Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 30 March 2005 - 05:11 PM

Whatever he may say to the contrary I'm fairly sure that George Lucas won't be able to leave Star Wars movie-making alone (or, alternately, give it over to the care of someone talented.) We all know that supposedly, ostensibly, maybe just possibly he planned at one time on making sequels, Episodes VII and so on.

I don't think that will ever happen because writing a sequel takes a bit more work than writing a prequel. A mediocre prequel writer has everything laid out for him and only needs to connect the dots. ("OK, we know that Obi-Wan finds Anakin and trains him, Anakin has two kids, but then he turns to the Dark Side, then...") A sequel, though, goes into unmapped territory, even if the characters are the same. If I read him rightly Lucas isn't going to take any chances he doesn't have to.

So...why not make more prequels? Let's have an Episode Zero that shows young Palpatine rising to power on Naboo and also explains Anakin's virgin birth. And so on. It could be a big hit.

This post has been edited by ernesttomlinson: 30 March 2005 - 05:12 PM

#2 User is offline   littlejerryseinfeld Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 30 March 2005 - 07:32 PM

here's the problem: you have to connect the dots with the LAME-ASS prequels.

virgin birth? thats just stupid. the rise of the trade federation? boring?

shmi skywalker? stupid name.... the list goes on and on....

no, the only other prequels i want to see are the ones that will replace the existing prequels.

#3 User is offline   Just another wretched fan Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 30 March 2005 - 09:29 PM

QUOTE (littlejerryseinfeld @ Mar 30 2005, 07:32 PM)
here's the problem:  you have to connect the dots with the LAME-ASS prequels. 

virgin birth?  thats just stupid.  the rise of the trade federation?  boring?

shmi skywalker?  stupid name.... the list goes on and on.... 

no, the only other prequels i want to see are the ones that will replace the existing prequels.

damn straight!

THEN make Episode 0

Or even a really good RPG where you play as a young palpatine and discover the dark side, develop a feeling of invincibility and overconfidence as major character flaws, learn to hate non-humans, and decide you need to kill all jedi.

This post has been edited by Just another wretched fan: 30 March 2005 - 09:29 PM

#4 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

• Knows All The Girls Named Lola
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Tyranny

Posted 31 March 2005 - 12:30 AM

This is one of the problems I think has been brought up before. I myself once commented that these prequels requires prequels. Palpatine and Obi Wan and the rest all just pop out of the abyss. The prequels should have shed light on the origins of AT LEAST Obi Wan, Yoda, Sidious and of course Anakin and his girlfriend.

Instead we get, to paraphrase LOTR TTT "That Anakin just springs out of the rocks" and we see nothing of Obi Wan's background or training. In Episode one all he is is luggage for Qui Gon Jinn, both literally and theatricly. And Yoda and Sidious just seem like they've always been there, except that Sidious somehow got a face lift before the OT and that Yoda gained about 900 years of life experience, wisdom, courtesy and attitude adjustment in just twenty years or so. Blargh...

Yes, THESE prequels need prequels to explain them. But if they'd been done right they wouldn't.

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.
- Deucaon toes a hard line on gay fetus rights.

#5 User is offline   Just another wretched fan Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 31 March 2005 - 01:15 AM

what's crazy is that GL created such a good universe that so many different prequels can be exciting

For example you could set a kick ass story in:

The ancient Dark Jedi exile and discovery of Korriban and the original Sith species.

The Sith golden age and civil war mentioned in EU and KOTOR

The Great Hyperspace War

The Mandalorian War

Darth Bane's reformation

The hidden Sith years and Palpatine's origins

There is so much stuff to go from, the only PT stuff that sucks is Canon. lol.

#6 User is offline   Madam Corvax Icon

• Buggy Purveyor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 31 March 2005 - 04:10 AM

I've heard from Helena that stories from KOTOR are actually quite good and make more sense than prequels. This is so very strange. Or perhaps isn't. The talented people who wrote those stories never had the sort of luck (and bucks) it takes to be a Lucas.

Note (when I see the abbreviation EU I always think you guys mean European Union...)

#7 User is offline   Xombie Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 31 March 2005 - 07:29 AM

Star Wars Episodes Minus Two to Zero obviously would deal with the rise of Darth Maul. We would learn that he designed the plans that Anakin used to build C-3PO, that he was Anakin's real dad ("There was no father...well, no REAL father.), and that he, Yoda, Chewbacca, and Greedo's dad played in a band managed by Jabba the Hutt that also soved mysteries called the Insane Sith Posse which once saved a baby Princess Amidala and a five year old Jango Fett from Count Dooku and the first prototype of General Grievous.

Of course it all springs out of a galaxywide squabble about regulating cable rate increases...

#8 User is offline   Helena Icon

• Basher Extraordinaire
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Current age: 22<br /><br />Current occupation: Auditor<br /><br />Interests: Reading, computer games, music, and Star Wars (obviously).<br /><br />Talents: Can't act, can't dance, can sing a little.<br /><br />Loves: Terry Pratchett's 'Discworld' series.<br /><br />Hates: Harry Potter. Surely I can't be the only one?

Posted 31 March 2005 - 08:49 AM

QUOTE (Madam Corvax @ Mar 31 2005, 10:10 AM)
I've heard from Helena that stories from KOTOR are actually quite good and make more sense than prequels. This is so very strange. Or perhaps isn't. The talented people who wrote those stories never had the sort of luck (and bucks) it takes to be a Lucas.

They are, believe me. If Lucas insists on making more Star Wars stuff, I don't want to see further prequels - I want a live-action version of KOTOR, dammit! That is, as long as the actual production, directing, screenwriting, set design, costume design and special effects are done by someone other than Lucas. biggrin.gif
The sandpeople had women and children. We know this because Anakin killed them how could he tell? The children might be smaller but I never saw a sandperson with breasts. Did they hike their skirts and show him some leg or something?

Also, I can see the point of wanting to kidnap a human and use her as a slave, but they didn't. They tied her to a flimsy easel for a month. It's assumed they had to feed and give her water. What for? Was she purely ornamental? I can understand them wanting the droids, you can sell those for a lot of money, but a chick who's only skills are finding non-existand mushrooms and getting randomly pregnant, you're not going to get much.

- J m HofMarN on the Sand People

#9 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

• Knows All The Girls Named Lola
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Tyranny

Posted 01 April 2005 - 01:23 AM

Wars Episodes Minus Two to Zero obviously would deal with the rise of Darth Maul. We would learn that he designed the plans that Anakin used to build C-3PO, that he was Anakin's real dad ("There was no father...well, no REAL father.), and that he, Yoda, Chewbacca, and Greedo's dad played in a band managed by Jabba the Hutt that also soved mysteries called the Insane Sith Posse which once saved a baby Princess Amidala and a five year old Jango Fett from Count Dooku and the first prototype of General Grievous.

Of course it all springs out of a galaxywide squabble about regulating cable rate increases...

hehe! And episode -1 can be called "Attack of the Insane Sith Posse"

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.
- Deucaon toes a hard line on gay fetus rights.

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size