Chefelf.com Night Life: American Splendor - Chefelf.com Night Life

Page 1 of 1

American Splendor the movie or Harvey Pekar in general

#1 User is offline   electricprune Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Junior Members
  • Interests:Theremin playing, experimental music, cable access tv, amateur photography, indie film, hula hooping, blueberries, yogurt, macaroni and cheese, walking long distances, psychedelic music

Posted 29 July 2004 - 06:07 PM

Has anyone seen this? I was speaking to Heccubus recently and was kind of shocked he hadn't seen it yet. It's an amazing biography of the comic book writer Harvey Pekar, who often had other artists, most notably R. Crumb illustrate his stories. In the film, they note that Harvey often used "stick figure-like characters" before he handed them off to the illustrators.

#2 User is offline   Reader Icon

• More Important than Coal
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Validating
  • Interests:oh, this and that

Posted 29 July 2004 - 07:54 PM

It's no surprise if you know where hecc lives.

Anyway, i've seen this twice. While it is a nice little diversion, it can't compete with the original comic itself. I have both antholgies recently released and they have provided some of the best reading material i've had in quite some time. While r.crumb's contributions must not be understated, they are actually less frequent (and in smaller quantities) than many other artists Harvey employed. I'm dumb and you already know this.

On another note, i have collected about half of the Complete Works of R. Crumb. I have no desire to get the entire set, but i still REALLY need vol. 5 and 6. Useless knowledge!
Anyone else here an R. Crumb fan?
"Nothing is real, all is permitted"
- Hassan i Sabbah
"There's nothing wrong with anything."
- Philip J.Fry

#3 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 30 July 2004 - 04:01 AM

I think "fan" is an odd term for a character like Crumb. I'm more a spectator, as I find his disturbed introversion oddly fascinating.

I have volume 5 of the complete Crumb. I don't intend to collect the set. It's got some good Mr Natural stuff, and a lot of disturbing doodles. If you're willing to pay for shipping, you can have it.

I assume you've see the Zwiegoff film. What I really want are the collected works of Charles!

On topic, I think AMERICAN SPLENDOUR is a fine film. You have the film of a guy watching an actor play the story that a screenwriter made out of a comic he wrote that contained depictions of himself that both were and were not him. All writ through with several levels of self-reference. God damn; you can't get that kind of entertainment these days.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#4 User is offline   Shawnathan Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 30 July 2004 - 09:29 AM

I thought American Splendor was a great movie. it's been awhile since i've seen it but I like how dull and miserable he acts. When he writes his comics comics he's just as misereable.

I like his friend, I forget this name, but I liked how he spoke. "I am going to go see "Revenge of te Neards" because I happen to consider myself a NEARD." I didn't mispell "nerd" that's how he pernounced it.
--Idiotic Inc. "Teaching Cheerleaders to use birth control since 2004"
--They Call Him Rick: I'm telling you, it's not that bad

#5 User is offline   electricprune Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Junior Members
  • Interests:Theremin playing, experimental music, cable access tv, amateur photography, indie film, hula hooping, blueberries, yogurt, macaroni and cheese, walking long distances, psychedelic music

Posted 30 July 2004 - 07:51 PM

His friend's name is Tobey. I've seen people use the spelling "Nyerd" as well, I love the way he says that. It's so funny how he gives up jelly beans for Lent. One of my co-workers did the same thing last year, although instead of jely beans it was chocolate.

As far as Harvey's comics, I only have the American Splendor one. I'd like to read "Our Cancer Year" (am I getting the name right?) at some point. I don't have any Crumb comics although my stepdad has some stashed away somewhere. Perhaps I'll have to snoop around his place while he's away on vacation.

Any movie I've seen by Zwiegoff has blown me away. "Ghost World," "Crumb," "Bad Santa"... He's a genius.

#6 User is offline   Reader Icon

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 July 2004 - 10:20 PM

QUOTE (civilian_number_two @ Jul 30 2004, 04:01 AM)
I think "fan" is an odd term for a character like Crumb. I'm more a spectator, as I find his disturbed introversion oddly fascinating.

I have volume 5 of the complete Crumb. I don't intend to collect the set. It's got some good Mr Natural stuff, and a lot of disturbing doodles. If you're willing to pay for shipping, you can have it.

I assume you've see the Zwiegoff film. What I really want are the collected works of Charles!

On topic, I think AMERICAN SPLENDOUR is a fine film. You have the film of a guy watching an actor play the story that a screenwriter made out of a comic he wrote that contained depictions of himself that both were and were not him. All writ through with several levels of self-reference. God damn; you can't get that kind of entertainment these days.

Ok, i have a problem. I lack the faculties to intellectualize any manner of art i 'consume', so i can't even describe what initially drew me to his work.... actually now that i mention it i saw the film before anything and if that doesn't make you want to inspect his works nothing will. other than that, you pretty much nailed it in your first paragraph.

I agree, a comendium of Charles' stuff would be a fascinating read... When did he stop again.... early 20's? In any case...

Yes, i would like your copy of vol.5. Thank you. I think i gathered somewhere that you live in vancouver? shipping may not be an issue, then.
- Hassan i Sabbah
- Philip J.Fry

#7 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 31 July 2004 - 12:14 AM

Well if you want to "hook up" then you have to be the one wearing the pink carnation.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#8 User is offline   Reader Icon

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 31 July 2004 - 12:39 AM

QUOTE (civilian_number_two @ Jul 31 2004, 12:14 AM)
Well if you want to "hook up" then you have to be the one wearing the pink carnation.

Now hold on one sec.

Just leave it at some discreet location, PM me with the wherabouts of said location, and i will pick up the merch at an agreed-upon time. Then you return and there will be money. You want money, right?

Or you can just send it. Either way just gimmie gimmie gimmie!

This post has been edited by Reader: 31 July 2004 - 12:46 AM

- Hassan i Sabbah
- Philip J.Fry

#9 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 31 July 2004 - 01:28 AM

All the Vancouver people here should meet up at granville cinema for Revenge of the Sith.

I know civillian has yet to see AOTC. Civil, if you come to GONE HOLLYWOOD movies in Yale town, I'll hook you up with a free copy. You'd watch it for free right? Was it you who was so against giveing Lucas money?
Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#10 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 31 July 2004 - 01:29 AM

double post

This post has been edited by Jordan: 31 July 2004 - 01:30 PM

Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#11 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 31 July 2004 - 09:11 AM

I meet up with all the Perth people from these forums all the time. I'm doing it right now, actually.

Yes, I did just post this because I have nothing else to say.
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#12 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 31 July 2004 - 01:30 PM

No Jordan, I am not against giving Lucas money. That's not it.

I have a copy of AOTC that a friend gave me, for keeps, as a gag gift. About two years ago, I decided to throw it in the DVD player. I figured, what the hell; why insult a good friends and his light-hearted gag (everyone knew I planned never to see any new STAR WARS stuff). At that point I knew pretty much nothing about it. Here's what I saw:

A bomb goes off, there's a Jedi council, everyone is there, and the name "Dooku" is mentioned. That's right: I had watched less than five minutes, and I had already met every main character and been introduced as well to the story and the villain.

I turned it off. You don't make movies like that. And youd you definitely don't WATCH movies like that.

Reader, to preserve your anonymity, I will take the comic to GONE HOLLYWOOD in Yaletown and I'll give it to Jordan. You can then go there and pick it up. Sure, Jordan will see you, and me, but he's not a very credible witness. Anyway if you like you can send someone else in your place, preferably a nice hot teenaged girl, to tease his you-know-what. She'll need to be pretty damn hot, of course, since this is Yaletown. No, I don't want any money. I got plenty of that.

#13 User is offline   Reader Icon

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 August 2004 - 02:48 AM

Ah, anonymity isn't that important to me. However you want to make the exchange is fine with me. The less hassle, the better.
Thanks for makin' this a freebie, too!

(also, sorry to Pruney for going off topic...)
- Hassan i Sabbah
- Philip J.Fry

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size