#16 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 30 March 2005 - 07:50 AM

a renaissance fantasy with Roman legionaries

What?

I love Roman military tactics. What was the book about?

For the longest time I was considering about joining a fencing club here in Vancouver. I think really good sword fighting is my favorite form of combat. It's so graceful.

This post has been edited by Jordan: 30 March 2005 - 07:53 AM

Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#17 User is offline   CowboyCurtis Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I lose interest in more things each and every day as things grow more and more mediocre and substandard...

Posted 30 March 2005 - 10:26 AM

I've got a director friend who's ready to bring me in to train his actors once he gets someone to produce it. I expect him to be the Ridley Scott of his generation.

Don't hold back. Tell us his name, so we can keep our eyes/ears open for him. (Unless he's shy) smile.gif >>> I love Ridley Scott's style, so that's why I ask.

And... I have to get my hands one some of your books.

As a sidenote question: I didn't like the movie, Die Another Day, but I really liked the sword fight in it. What did you think?

This post has been edited by CowboyCurtis: 30 March 2005 - 10:38 AM

Flying Ferret

Battle for the Galaxy--read the "other Star Wars"

All I know is I haven't seen the real prequels yet.

#18 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 30 March 2005 - 10:40 AM

QUOTE (CowboyCurtis @ Mar 30 2005, 10:26 AM)
And... I have to get my hands one some of your books.

Check it out: http://www.amazon.co...=books&n=507846

I think you'll really enjoy it.
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#19 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 30 March 2005 - 06:48 PM

QUOTE (njamilla @ Mar 30 2005, 07:37 AM)
It's so cool still knowing my ex who lives in Toronto. I know he's going to be one of the best painters of his generations. I'd like the same for myself. At some point there will be this artistic group of us that share this connection. At this point, we do our thing and things will converge at some point later. Chefelf is kind of like this, as well as the other guys here; people who I've never met, but have this affinity for me. There's like this unspoken connection that brings us together. I got an e-mail out of the blue from this guy in Australia one day. We corresponded and made an instant connection. He came for a visit to the US and we be came instant best friends the moment we met.

yeah, i have a lot of friends who are musicians, directors, actors, artists etc.

there are heaps of groups of people who grew up together in the entertainment industry and other creative fields...

i only have one friend here who is a writer... but he hasn't written anything in ages... but he has the best ideas...

I'm fortunat enough to be writing a majority of my book at work, (only when it gets quiet of course), but it is a real big help... upto 160 pages of novel so far...
about 20-30 pages of data, names, etc, and 4-5 maps, and 6 pages on architectural structures....

--also... i was curious. did you have to get permition to include references and comparisons to star wars in your book?

This post has been edited by barend: 30 March 2005 - 06:49 PM

#20 User is offline   Just another wretched fan Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 31 March 2005 - 01:27 AM

while we're talking about learning to fence. Remember that the real thing is nothing like errol flynn (sp). You just sorta step forward and backward until someone tries something and its over in 3 moves. If you're tall then won't even let you near the saber or "cool sword." Nope, you'll be stuck with the epee and your only solace will be that stabbing your opponents in the nuts in now legal. Sorry, I'm a little cynical.

#21 User is offline   Supes Icon

• Sunshine Superman
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 April 2005 - 08:33 AM

QUOTE (njamilla @ Mar 29 2005, 09:03 AM)
What you said is very true of the industry. The same is true for writing. You don't write for free unless it will help you get a paying job.

The problem is that when people get things for free, they also treat those things with less respect. Not that Shane, the director, ever did that.

The sad problem is that working for him cost me a lot of my own money at a financially difficult point in my life. Money IS an issue.

Well I'm happy to say that I have been able to contribute to the njamilla cause. I bought your book on Amazon a little while ago. Very good read indeed. Chef did a bit of a write up earlier, so all I'll add is go and buy it if you can find it. thumbsup.gif
Luminous beings are we... not this crude matter.
Yoda

#22 User is offline   njamilla Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Black belts: aikido, kendo, iaido, jodo. 1987 World Fencing Championships, World University Games participant. Writer: novelist, freelancer. Interestes: Renaissance, religious history, turtles.

Posted 01 April 2005 - 01:06 PM

a renaissance fantasy with Roman legionaries
What?
I love Roman military tactics. What was the book about?

I think the renaissance is the best parallel in terms of military history for the Jedi. You have swordsmen who have to come up with tactics against firearms which include pistols, rifles, and cannon. I love the Romans (and Latin) so I had an enclave of Romans survive in the Appenines as reclusive weapon and arms makers. They're the Spartans of their day and have telekinetic powers. Unlike the Force, I actually discuss how their "powers" can be used to complement their swordsmanship. I've got some company looking at it. It's been 4 or 5 months so far. They say they'll get back within 9 months, and I'm not allowed to submit it to anyone else. It's the industry.

Tell us his name, so we can keep our eyes/ears open for him.

His name is Shane Ward. He's presently in London. He's has several shorts entered in the Canne Film Festival over the past few years. Like the rest of us, he's waiting for luck to happen.

I didn't like the movie, Die Another Day, but I really liked the sword fight in it. What did you think?

I liked the sword fight scenes. Bob Anderson, who played Vader in ESB and ROTJ, created the choreography.

also... i was curious. did you have to get permition to include references and comparisons to star wars in your book?

It's a critique of a copyrighted material, so LFL can't tell me not to write it. I do have critiques of the prequels, but I've been trying to find the best way to host the essays in a way that I'll make some money from it without self-publishing. I've come up with a new story arc in which these issues can be discussed openly without copyright issues. It's the story where swordsmen take over the world.

Very good read indeed. Chef did a bit of a write up earlier, so all I'll add is go and buy it if you can find it.

Chef wrote a very complimentary review. I'm very appreciate of his writing, especially since it isn't the typical emotional "you have to buy this book" rubish.

The most timely book i've bot sitting on a shelf is about a the pope and an American who teaches the Swiss Guard how to use their swords and halberds. The problem is finding the right agent to bring it to the publishing companies for me. Anyone got a friend who's an agent?
Author: Sword Fighting in the Star Wars Universe.

#23 User is offline   njamilla Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Black belts: aikido, kendo, iaido, jodo. 1987 World Fencing Championships, World University Games participant. Writer: novelist, freelancer. Interestes: Renaissance, religious history, turtles.

Posted 14 April 2005 - 06:20 PM

Two more days until the release of the film. I tried on my tuxedo from college (15 years ago). The jacket is snug, the pants are tight. I've got to find another pair of black pants.

#24 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 14 April 2005 - 09:48 PM

have a great premiere!

#25 User is offline   njamilla Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 April 2005 - 07:04 AM

The tuxedo didn't fit. I looked like an overstuffed penguin.

So I'll show up in my Japanese costume with kendo gi and hakama.

For EP 2 and 3, I did a demonstration for the charity premieres so I've gotten to see my first movies in Japanese training gear. So I'll be on the red carpet in Japanese style while everyone else will be in tuxedo and evening gown.

There's a gala party after at a nice night club in the inner harbor section of Baltimore. For that, it's clubbing costume.

I'll send information on where to download the movie early this week.

#26 User is offline   CowboyCurtis Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I lose interest in more things each and every day as things grow more and more mediocre and substandard...

Posted 16 April 2005 - 11:01 AM

I liked the sword fight scenes. Bob Anderson, who played Vader in ESB and ROTJ, created the choreography.

!?? I thought... David Prowse was Vader....
Flying Ferret

Battle for the Galaxy--read the "other Star Wars"

All I know is I haven't seen the real prequels yet.

#27 User is offline   njamilla Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 April 2005 - 12:07 PM

Bob Anderson played Vader for all the lightsaber fight scenes in ESB and ROTJ. Prowse didn't even get to meet Marquand when he did his role in ROTJ. That was a secondary shoot.

Did I mention that I get to play the equivalent to Darth Maul in this movie?

#28 User is offline   HeckHouse Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 16 April 2005 - 01:28 PM

The trailer looks very nice, but if I'm being honest, the lightsaber choreography looked a bit weak >_<

Please don't flog me.

#29 User is offline   njamilla Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 April 2005 - 02:38 PM

It comes with the territory! It's up for the audience to decide isn't it. Wait til the you see the full movie and then decide. I'm sure everyone will have a lot of say.

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size