• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What are you reading?

#226 User is offline   Lord Aquaman Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Movies, comic books, some mythology... basically anything that's larger than life.

Posted 01 June 2006 - 02:50 PM

QUOTE (darth_paul @ Jun 1 2006, 09:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Usually I read anything by Michael Chrichton or Clive Cussler, but Currently I am reading, and have been reading since sometime last year when a friend of mine got me the book, The Silmarillion by J.R.R. Tolkien. I loved LOTR, and my friend decided to get me this one for my birthday or something. I am enjoying what little of it that I have read, but I really don't make myself any time at all to actually finish it. I'm too busy doing this message board stuff drawing and reading comics, working, playing video games, and taking care of my two young sons to actually read anything other than the above mentioned comic books. Oh, and to Lord Aquaman, wub.gif the screen name, Aquaman is in fact my most favorite Super Hero no matter what anyone else says and I am reading the current series.

God Bless You Darth Paul. thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif

Plus, I have seen The Black Cauldron, but I have never read any of the books that it was based on. I have heard that at the time Disney made the movie that the series was pretty popular and that they were looking for something contemporary to adapt and revitalize their animation, however the end result, while a decent movie, didn't live up to a lot of expectations. I actually really like the movie story wise and wish that they did more with it, but what I like most about it is that it's become sort of like this "red headed step child" of the Disney family that they wish had never been born. As soon as it left it's theater run it was locked away in their vault for like 10-15 years before it finally resurfaced on video and dvd. Some of my friends and I thought that it was permanently banned and instantly bought copies as soon as it was rereleased because of that. I think that you can still get it now, but when they lock it up again who knows when it will see the light of day again after that.

That film inspired me to find the first book of the Prydain series, The Book of 3, which inspired the first half of the film's story, and now I must find The Black Cauldron book itself. I'd love to see it get a new big screen treatment.
I am the Fisher King.

I'd like a qui-gon jinn please with an obi-wan to go.

#227 User is offline   darth_paul Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip
  • Group: Junior Members
  • Interests:Comics, Sci-Fi, Games, Religion (Christianity &amp; Catholicism), Politics (Republcan) - although I tend to stay away from discussing those last two since they often get me into trouble that I'd rather not deal with unless I am pushed, which then I'll push back until I get disgusted and give up. Other than that I can pretty much get along with anyone ;)

Posted 02 June 2006 - 10:23 AM

God Bless You Darth Paul.

laugh.gif Thanks for the kind words, Lord Aquaman, you rock dude! "All Hail The King Of The Seas!"

That film inspired me to find the first book of the Prydain series, The Book of 3, which inspired the first half of the film's story, and now I must find The Black Cauldron book itself. I'd love to see it get a new big screen treatment.

It would be cool to see a new big screen treatment of the "Black Cauldron" (or any of the rest of the series, which I'd like to read myself if I ever got the time to do it or made the effort to find them, which is not to say that I wouldn't, but busy, busy you know.) Now, would you, or anyone else here, think that Disney should have another go at it with a better version, perferably live action this time instead of another slipshod 'toon, or should someone else try to get the rights and do it all over again? For me it's a toss up, because Disney has tried to redo some of their 'toons in live action with mixed results. No big screen adaptation is going to be perfect, I realize that, but for example when they redid the Jungle Book, which is probably my personal all time favorite book btw, the live action version was much more satisfying and true to the book than the cartoon was. Not that the cartoon is bad, but just totally way off that's all. The actual book is 1-million times better and isn't full of silly dancing and singing animals, not that there's anything wrong with silly dancing and singing animals biggrin.gif

#228 User is offline   Lord Aquaman Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Movies, comic books, some mythology... basically anything that's larger than life.

Posted 02 June 2006 - 11:23 AM

QUOTE (darth_paul @ Jun 2 2006, 08:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
laugh.gif Thanks for the kind words, Lord Aquaman, you rock dude! "All Hail The King Of The Seas!"

Well, I try. wub.gif

It would be cool to see a new big screen treatment of the "Black Cauldron" (or any of the rest of the series, which I'd like to read myself if I ever got the time to do it or made the effort to find them, which is not to say that I wouldn't, but busy, busy you know.) Now, would you, or anyone else here, think that Disney should have another go at it with a better version, perferably live action this time instead of another slipshod 'toon, or should someone else try to get the rights and do it all over again? For me it's a toss up, because Disney has tried to redo some of their 'toons in live action with mixed results. No big screen adaptation is going to be perfect, I realize that, but for example when they redid the Jungle Book, which is probably my personal all time favorite book btw, the live action version was much more satisfying and true to the book than the cartoon was. Not that the cartoon is bad, but just totally way off that's all. The actual book is 1-million times better and isn't full of silly dancing and singing animals, not that there's anything wrong with silly dancing and singing animals biggrin.gif

I think I'd rather see a live action version of Black Cauldron and the other Chronicles of Prydain books, though this may not happen for a very long time, now that Disney is doing the live action Chronicles of Narnia, but hey, maybe I'll get lucky and the success of Narnia will inspire them to do Prydain in live action. Of course, they'll need a real artist and a real filmmaker to pull it off.

This post has been edited by Lord Aquaman: 02 June 2006 - 11:23 AM

I am the Fisher King.

#229 User is offline   georgelucas4greedo Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 06 July 2006 - 02:44 PM

Catcher in the Rye, J.D. Salinger wub.gif
It seems like everyone is over the nitpicking. Too bad.

#230 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 07 July 2006 - 01:34 AM

this week i'll be mostly reading...

too much into everything!

#231 User is offline   Lord Aquaman Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 July 2006 - 07:27 PM

Lloyd Alexander's The Black Cauldron.
I am the Fisher King.

#232 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 20 July 2006 - 01:33 AM

Greg Egan's Permutation City

#233 User is offline   georgelucas4greedo Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 July 2006 - 10:01 AM

Lord of the Flies William Golding....I plan to reread most of my English books from highschool... cool.gif

This post has been edited by georgelucas4greedo: 20 July 2006 - 10:02 AM

#234 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Thermonuclear warfare and other pleasantries.

Posted 20 July 2006 - 10:49 AM

I hate that book... it's so... bleh. And we did not only read it in school, no, we had to watch the 1950's or so movie they made of it... bleh.

Pop quiz, hotshot. Garry Kasparov is coming to kill you, and the only way to change his mind is for you to beat him at chess. What do you do, what do you do?

#235 User is offline   georgelucas4greedo Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 July 2006 - 10:48 AM

QUOTE (Gobbler @ Jul 20 2006, 11:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I hate that book... it's so... bleh. And we did not only read it in school, no, we had to watch the 1950's or so movie they made of it... bleh.

Ehh, its a good book if you get passed Golding's tendency to be overly explicit. Sometimes, you gotta give a little credit to the readers.

#236 User is offline   Lord Aquaman Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 July 2006 - 08:58 PM

QUOTE (Gobbler @ Jul 20 2006, 08:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I always hated Siddartha and Catcher In The Rye.
I am the Fisher King.

#237 User is offline   Chyld Icon

• Ancient Monstrosity
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 September 2006 - 02:43 AM

Well, just to kick a bit of life into the old forum...

My current book-on-loop is a fine little novel called The Time Traveler's Wife, which is about a guy which a genetic disorder which, suprise suprise, causes him to spontaniously time travel. Thus resulting in his future wife meeting him when she's six and him thirty six. Then him meeting her when he's twenty eight, and she's twenty. Its honest to gods bloody good, possibly because it hit all my "yay book" and "yay time travelling" buttons.

I'm also looking to grab a wodge more books by Tom Sharpe before I go back to uni.
When you lose your calm, you feed your anger.

Less Is More v4
Now resigned to a readership of me, my cat and some fish

#238 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man

Posted 11 September 2006 - 08:00 PM

just finished 'the Gobbler' by Adrian Edmonson...

so i've moved onto the DISCWORLD series by Terry Pratchet.

through kind and random donations i have realized that i have books 1-5 and book 10. i am currently cruising through 2.

delightfully absurd... it's to fantasy what the hitchhikers guide to the glaxy is to sci fi.

#239 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Thermonuclear warfare and other pleasantries.

Posted 12 September 2006 - 03:00 AM

QUOTE (barend @ Sep 12 2006, 03:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
just finished 'the Gobbler' by Adrian Edmonson...

I so gotta fetch me a copy of that. biggrin.gif

Pop quiz, hotshot. Garry Kasparov is coming to kill you, and the only way to change his mind is for you to beat him at chess. What do you do, what do you do?

#240 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man

Posted 12 September 2006 - 09:24 PM

QUOTE (Gobbler @ Sep 12 2006, 03:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I so gotta fetch me a copy of that. biggrin.gif

can't believe this connection never occured to me...

• (23 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic