• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What are you reading?

#151 User is offline   Lord Aquaman Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Movies, comic books, some mythology... basically anything that's larger than life.

Posted 20 October 2005 - 03:36 PM

QUOTE (Marky @ Oct 20 2005, 06:45 AM)
Finally picked up The Great Gatsby.

Have fun with it - Great Gatsby is one weird, whacky romp.

Anyone hear familiar with the Sandokan novels? I haven't read 'em myself, but I've heard of them and figured I'd plop the wikipedia descriptions down here for no particular reason other than increasing my postings.

Titles in the series:

The Mystery of the Black Jungle (I Misteri della Jungla Nera) (1895)
The Tigers of Mompracem (Le Tigri di Mompracem) (1900)
The Pirates of Malaysia (I Pirati della Malesia) (1896)
The Two Tigers (Le due Tigri) (1904)
King of the Sea (Il Re del Mare) (1906)
Quest for a Throne (Alla conquista di un impero) (1907)
Sandokan Fights Back (Sandokan alla riscossa) (1907)
Return to Mompracem (La riconquista del Mompracem) (1908)
The False Brahman (Il Bramino dell'Assam) (1911)
An Empire Crumbles (La caduta di un impero) (1911)
Yanez' Revenge (La rivincita di Yanez) (1913)

Last two published posthumously.

Sandokan "The Tiger of Malaysia" is Emilio Salgari's most enduring creation. Orphaned when the British murdered his family and stole his throne, Sandokan gathered a legion of pirates and took to the sea to attain his vengeance. Under the command of Sandokan and his loyal friend Yanez de Gomera, the Tigers of Mompracem fight for the defense of tiny native kingdoms against the colonial powers of the Dutch and British empires.

The first Sandokan adventure appeared in serial form in the La Nuova Arena in 1883, and was published as Le tigri di Mompracem in 1900. The tale proved so popular, the characters so intriguing, that it spawned a legion of sequels, pitting Sandokan and Yanez against a variety of enemies: Rajah James Brooke, Governor of Sarawak, better known as The Exterminator for the merciless way he hunted down pirates; the Thugs of the Kali cult in the Indian Sunderbands, and a variety of petty dictators and colonial powers. Salgari's pen transformed the bloodthirsty pirate into a noble warrior, a kind of Malay Robin Hood, imbuing his characters with a strong sense of idealism, passion, and loyalty.

Book Description

The Tigers of Mompracem are a band of rebel pirates fighting against the colonial power of the Dutch and British empires. They are lead by Sandokan, the indomitable Tiger of Malaysia, and his loyal friend Yanez de Gomera, a Portuguese wanderer and adventurer. After twelve years of spilling blood and spreading terror throughout Malaysia, Sandokan has reached the height of his power, but when the pirate learns of the existence of the Pearl of Labuan, his fortunes begin to change…

Travel, adventure, romance, capture, rescue, betrayal, battles on land, battles at sea, hurricanes, an exotic Malaysian backdrop, and an irony loving sidekick are but a few of the elements

Sandokan, the leader of a band of Malay pirates who opposed the British regime during the Victorian era, was also the subject of several action-adventure films of the 1960s and 1970s, two of which starred the late Steve "Hercules" Reeves. Few of these efforts were completely faithful to their source, Emilio Salgari's novel Le Tigri di Mompracem, but all were eagerly received by European film fans. In 1976, a TV-series version of the Sandokan legend emerged on the Continent. Kabir Bedi played the title role in this lavishly appointed effort, which enjoyed wide distribution (except in English-speaking countries). A feature-film version of the TV Sandokan was prepared late in 1976, then released to American television.
I am the Fisher King.

I'd like a qui-gon jinn please with an obi-wan to go.

#152 User is offline   Jane Sherwood Icon

• Hello Master
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Far too many to list in this tiny space...

Posted 29 October 2005 - 07:44 PM

I have finally discovered the pure joy that is the Discworld series, which makes me ask myself, "WHY THE HELL DID I WAIT SO LONG TO LOOK FOR THESE?!"

Also, I heart Rincewind muchly. wub.gif
Check out my crappy drawings!

Chyld is an ignorant slut.

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space; I'm a loony, for God's sake!"
- Campbell Bean (David Tennant), Takin' Over the Asylum, 1994
XD

#153 User is offline   Otal Nimrodi Icon

• Miracle Ghost
  • Interests:I like my my little pony characters like I like my suspected criminals. Mirandized.

Posted 29 October 2005 - 09:18 PM

Yeah, why did you wait so long? By the way, which book are reading? I'm rereading Pyramids for the umpteenth time. The way I see it ti's elementary math.

Egypt+Discworld=Heaven.

This post has been edited by Otal Nimrodi: 29 October 2005 - 09:18 PM

Want a Tarot reading?

PM me, we'll talk.

#154 User is offline   Jane Sherwood Icon

• Hello Master

Posted 29 October 2005 - 09:21 PM

I'm almost done with The Light Fantastic right now.

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space; I'm a loony, for God's sake!"
XD

#155 User is offline   WalkingCarpet Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Puns, irony & sarcasm

Posted 31 October 2005 - 06:21 AM

Are you reading them in order?

If not jump straight to Small Gods now!

#156 User is offline   Marky Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:The Chuckster, punkrock, beer, birds.

Posted 31 October 2005 - 07:35 AM

*jumps*

#157 User is offline   Jane Sherwood Icon

• Hello Master

Posted 31 October 2005 - 09:02 AM

I would if I could. I've gotten about twenty-six of them download (with help smile.gif ), but some are in that annoying wordpad program, so I've got about eight or nine books scrunched together in one long paragraph and impossible to read.

Yeah, reading a book series out of order annoys me to no end, but that seems to be the way it goed with everything I read (or play, or watch) no matter how hard I try otherwise.

Now I'm working on Sourcery and The Colour of Magic at the same time.

(When you can't get them in a library - download! It's going to be free either way.)

XD

#158 User is offline   WalkingCarpet Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Puns, irony & sarcasm

Posted 31 October 2005 - 10:45 AM

It is worth going more or less in order, because there is a certain amount of linear development throughout the series, particularly where some of the main characters are concerned.

There is hardly a weak book in the series though, I envy you reading them for the first time, wish I was in that position again!

#159 User is offline   Icey Icon

• n00b
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Being infested by parasites. Fighting members of the Kennedy family, kidnapping the President's daughter. Moaning.<br />

Posted 06 November 2005 - 02:41 PM

Just began reading on The Difference Engine, hopefully it won't be a total letdown which is going to be easy.

#160 User is offline   Mirithorn Icon

• Expert Misologist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 November 2005 - 07:07 PM

I have no idea what order they're supposed to go in, or what order I first read them in. Just read them all and then read them all again, in case you missed something due to not reading them in order.
"YOU'RE MISSING A PERIOD. YOU THINK IT'S FUNNY, DON'T YOU? YOU THINK IT'S FUNNY THAT YOU FUCK WITH GRAMMAR? WELL, FUCK YOU AND FUCK YOUR MISSING PERIOD! I HOPE IT MEANS YOUR SLUTTY, NON-PUNCTUATED WAYS HAVE GOTTEN YOU TEEN-PREGNANT!"

#161 User is offline   Al Creed Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 17 November 2005 - 11:47 AM

I have just finished Voltaire's "Candide," and although it is not the greatest thing I have ever read, it is still good piece of literature. I am glad my European History course made it a requirement, as I am unsure where else I would have had either the incentive nor the oppertunity to read it.

#162 User is offline   Marky Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:The Chuckster, punkrock, beer, birds.

Posted 18 November 2005 - 11:27 AM

One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest - Ken Casey

#163 User is offline   ion eon Icon

• Evolved
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:stuff....

Posted 18 November 2005 - 01:48 PM

I'm reading a book called "Double Helix"
OH NO!!!

#164 User is offline   floppydisk Icon

• The Amazing Bag-Man!
  • Interests:Movies. Books. Video Games.

Posted 19 November 2005 - 11:26 AM

The Stand - Stephen King
QUOTE (Theodor Herzl)
If you will it, it is no dream.

#165 User is offline   Zatoichi Icon

• Left Hand Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Conquering the World! Being the who when you call "Who's there?"

Posted 19 November 2005 - 11:46 AM

I've been reading some quasi-military type stuff lately. So far these guys make all other writers of this type (that I have read) look like complete morons. That statement includes Sun Tzu and Machieveli to a lesser extent.

How Great Generals Win - Bevin Alexander

Fighting for the Future - Ralph Peters

For no apparent reason, a book on law that I will never get through because it about the size of any 2 LOTR books put together. It isn't a story either. It does have some very interesting tidbits though. It was published in 1956, so it might be slightly out of date.

Courts of Injustice - I.P.Callison
Apparently writing about JM here is his secret weakness. Muwahaha!!!! Now I have leverage over him and am another step closer towards my goal of world domination.

"And the Evil that was vanquished shall rise anew. Wrapped in the guise of man shall he walk amongst the innocent and Terror shall consume they that dwell upon the Earth. The skies will rain fire. The seas shall become as blood. The righteous shall fall before the wicked! And all creation shall tremble before the burning standards of Hell!" - Mephisto

Kurgan X showed me this web comic done with Legos. It pokes fun at all six Star Wars films and I found it to be extremely entertaining.
<a href="http://www.irregularwebcomic.net/cast/starwars.html" target="_blank">http://www.irregularwebcomic.net/cast/starwars.html</a>

• (23 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic