• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • « First

Pirates of the Caribbean 2 Aquatic Boogaloo

#61 User is offline   Jane Sherwood Icon

• Hello Master
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Far too many to list in this tiny space...

Posted 25 July 2006 - 08:47 AM

And suddenly, when I reread that post and put in "hamsterfied" in the place of "hamfisted" I get the weirdest mental-movie of Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Hamster Dance! And all the characters are turned into dancing hamsters.

Such is the stuff of nightmares...and yet, I feel strangely delighted at the same time.
Check out my crappy drawings!

Chyld is an ignorant slut.

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space; I'm a loony, for God's sake!"
- Campbell Bean (David Tennant), Takin' Over the Asylum, 1994
XD

#62 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 30 July 2006 - 10:48 AM

QUOTE (civilian_number_two @ Jul 12 2006, 01:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Small bite at this film: in two separate action sequences, characters are trapped inside a rolling object. Why did we get that twice?

Thank GOD I am not the only person who was annoyed by this. This was a really sloppy bit of filmmaking. Firstly, both circumstances did not necessitate staying in or on the rolling object. The "cage" had holes about double the size of the average human torso. If that's not a strong enough objection, one of them was a midget and most likely would have fallen out if he didn't try to escape. Secondly the sword fight on the rolling water mill thingy (while funny and over the top at first) wore thin after the first 10-15 minutes. I understand that it's a movie and it was an action sequence but why not just jump off and continue your swordfight that way?

Did anyone else find the movie to be, at many points, completely incomprehensible? The stupid sequence where Jack is a god on that island (apart from being extremely racist) was completely unnecessary and didn't serve any point in furthering the plot other than them getting the ship. The same could have been accomplished with a 5 minute suspense sequence where they try to get the ship and then almost don't.

I couldn't believe how poor this movie was. I'd heard that "it wasn't as good as the first one" but, while that statement is true, it doesn't quite nail the point home as fully as a more accurate statement such as, "That movie was really, really quite poor."
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#63 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 30 July 2006 - 02:14 PM

I won't go as far as to say that the Chief Jack sequence was racist. I thought it was fairly typical of Pirate literature that at some point they'd end up among some savages at some time. It's so typical in fact that it was used as a throwaway line in the first PIRATES. Before Jack saves Elizabeth, we cut into a conversation with the two dock guards, where he's saying "...and then they made me their chief."

But yeah. You'll meet resistance from Jane on this one, but I thought the middle installment was fairly muddled.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#64 User is offline   Jen Icon

• Mrs. Chefelf
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Being Chefelf's girlfriend has been an interest of mine for some time now. I also enjoy am interested in packing, unpacking, and organizing acres of cardboard boxes into a livable structure.

Posted 02 August 2006 - 01:58 PM

I also couldn't believe what a lousy follow-up to a really excellent original film this was.

Civ makes a good point re: pirate literature historical tradition and the savages. That being said, I couldn't believe they spent 45 minutes on a cannibal island while painted men jumped around with spears. I missed that throwaway line from the original, which makes me sad, because that is kinda hilarious taken on its own, but kinda lame in light of the ooga-booga antics in the second. And, as Chefelf points out, their little adventure had absolutely nothing to do with the rest of the film's narrative arc (which was also pretty weak. I didn't follow a lot of it. Liked the bayou woman, though!)

Also? The hammerhead shark henchman?

WTF?!?!

#65 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

• Knows All The Girls Named Lola
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Tyranny

Posted 03 August 2006 - 09:41 PM

I think the film was trying to be more impressive than POTC 1. Involving Davy Jones, which is basically the name for Satan in nautical tradition, was completely over the top, and as I pointed out in my first post I also found the water wheel and rolly cage antics to be the same. The fact that they had to rewrite Jack's history in an absurd way also irks me. You know, Jack, you can get a pirate ship without having to sell your soul to the devil. I mean hell, you and Will took like three of them during the first movie. Obviously the rum was not gone the night he made that promise.

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.
- Deucaon toes a hard line on gay fetus rights.

#66 User is offline   Lord Aquaman Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Movies, comic books, some mythology... basically anything that's larger than life.

Posted 22 August 2006 - 09:28 PM

Okay, just going in with my own thoughts having just seen the movie -

Sequels are a tricky business. It's so hard to live up to the first one, let alone surpass it. More often than not, sequels often just feel like vain imitations/remakes/rehashes of the films that spawned them as the same basic formula is usually just flogged to death (Rocky's 2-5 and Matrix's Reloaded/Revolution come to mind here). There are exceptions, such as "The Empire Strikes Back", but they are few and far between. For the most part I enjoyed "Dead Man's Chest" but I cannot deny that the original film was superior.

The biggest sin of "Dead Man's Chest" is that it runs too long and tries to over-stuff itself, cutting back & forth between Jack Sparrow's antics, the misfortunes of Will or the misfortunes of Elizabeth, which then leads us to the misfortunes of Norrington, with a lot of action thrown in, whereas the first film had a more focused, driven feel to it. I saw the film with my dad and he commented that it felt like they took a book, ripped out the most interesting/exciting parts and then pasted it together in no particular order. Most criminally, the storyline with Will catching up with the sea zombie version of his father Bootstrap Bill Turner (Stellan Skarsgard buried under tons of prosthetic makeup & CGI) is probably the most interesting storyline going in the movie, but it deserves more time than it ultimately gets. The decision to turn Norrington into a full blown evil bastard was unexpected - I know he wasn't exactly the hero of the first film, but he wasn't the villain either, just the romantic rival (I blame this on the fact that they cut scenes that were meant to establish him as a nicer guy). The thing with Elizabeth becoming infatuated with Jack, or at least appearing to become infatuated with him, was a relatively minor offense but still an annoying one. It felt like the writers were trying too hard to both play to the popularity of Depp/Jack and also to try and resurrect the opposites attract magic of Princess Leia & Han Solo, the primary difference being that Solo was taller, better looking, had better equipment and had better hygiene than Sparrow. That seemed to go against part of Elizabeth's realizations in the first film that pirates weren't all they were cracked up to be, and she struck me as being smarter than to fall for an obvious scoundrel like Jack. Or maybe I'm just over-reacting to their decision to put the young lovebirds fate in doubt. And there are some who will undoubtedly be annoyed by the cliff-hanger setting up "Pirates 3: The Pirate Version of the Search For Spock".

Okay, stuff I actually did like... there were some genuinely funny moments (some of which were overplayed), the action set pieces were well staged & well executed (if a little over the top), and the actors were generally good. Johnny Depp basically rehashes his performance from the first film, which works well enough since he still appears to be having fun as the drunken glam rocker pirate. Orlando Bloom is good in his usual low-key way (though he's basically got himself typecast as the earnest young hero and will probably spend the rest of his career being accused of just playing himself in every film he does).Nighy & Starsgard were good along with the rest of the undead crew, though they are basically a steroid fueled remake of the undead crew from "Curse". Keira Knightley was alright, though in a few scenes it felt like she was trying too hard (namely the ones where she's supposed to act like she's becoming infatuated with Jack). I guess I'm not being very positive here, am I? Well, if I make the film out to be worse than it actually is, I'm sorry. Just go in knowing that it's not as bad as the Star Wars prequel trilogy, Batman & Robin, Daredevil, Elektra, 2005 Fantastic Four and Catwoman.

Now go hide the rum.
I am the Fisher King.

I'd like a qui-gon jinn please with an obi-wan to go.

#67 User is offline   Jane Sherwood Icon

• Hello Master

Posted 22 August 2006 - 09:37 PM

I've seen it a few more times now, and you know what?

I stand by my opinion completely and hold all extreme judgment until May, when the story comes to an end.

And as far as Jack's history goes, I found this interesting little tidbit on Wikipedia:
According to the official Disney website and the game based on the film series, Jack Sparrow was once employed by the East India Trading Company. He helmed the Wicked Wench, an EITC merchant vessel, performing odd jobs for Lord Cutler Beckett. However, when Sparrow refused to transport slaves, Beckett sanctioned the torching (and sinking) of the Wicked Wench, and branded Jack Sparrow a pirate. Jack came to embrace his outlaw status, becoming a successful pirate with no desire to return to life under the command of others. Later, Jack petitioned Davy Jones to raise his ship from the ocean floor. He rechristened her as The Black Pearl.

This post has been edited by Jane Sherwood: 22 August 2006 - 09:44 PM

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space; I'm a loony, for God's sake!"
XD

#68 User is offline   Lord Aquaman Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Movies, comic books, some mythology... basically anything that's larger than life.

Posted 06 September 2006 - 12:05 PM

I think "Dead Man's Chest", to a certain extent, tried too hard to be like "The Empire Strikes Back" on the high seas. How about you?
I am the Fisher King.

I'd like a qui-gon jinn please with an obi-wan to go.

#69 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 07 September 2006 - 02:39 AM

I disagree. While EMPIRE did leave a series of cliffhangers, it had an ending of sorts. PIRATES 2 didn't so much end as it just stopped.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#70 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

Posted 17 September 2006 - 04:14 AM

In light of Jane's devotion to what, if this were Star Trek would be called utter nerdery, I must withdraw my comments about rewriting Jack's history. However its still stupid to make a deal with the devil to get a pirate ship when you can just steal one like a good pirate.

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.

#71 User is offline   Mirithorn Icon

• Expert Misologist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 September 2006 - 08:09 AM

But it was a REALLY NICE pirate ship.
"YOU'RE MISSING A PERIOD. YOU THINK IT'S FUNNY, DON'T YOU? YOU THINK IT'S FUNNY THAT YOU FUCK WITH GRAMMAR? WELL, FUCK YOU AND FUCK YOUR MISSING PERIOD! I HOPE IT MEANS YOUR SLUTTY, NON-PUNCTUATED WAYS HAVE GOTTEN YOU TEEN-PREGNANT!"

#72 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.
  • Interests:Thermonuclear warfare and other pleasantries.

Posted 17 September 2006 - 08:24 AM

Kinda funny that it really was, what with all the holes in it.

Pop quiz, hotshot. Garry Kasparov is coming to kill you, and the only way to change his mind is for you to beat him at chess. What do you do, what do you do?

#73 User is offline   Jane Sherwood Icon

• Hello Master

Posted 17 September 2006 - 12:18 PM

Well, the Pearl meant everything to Jack, maybe in the last movie we'll really find out why.

XD

#74 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.
  • Interests:Thermonuclear warfare and other pleasantries.

Posted 17 September 2006 - 12:31 PM

Maybe he's locked his heart inside of it. Wouldn't that be surprising?

Pop quiz, hotshot. Garry Kasparov is coming to kill you, and the only way to change his mind is for you to beat him at chess. What do you do, what do you do?

#75 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

Posted 17 September 2006 - 09:01 PM

Or his rum. Most likely his rum.

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • « First

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size