• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

Pirates of the Caribbean 2 Aquatic Boogaloo

#16 User is offline   Lord Aquaman Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Movies, comic books, some mythology... basically anything that's larger than life.

Posted 24 December 2005 - 05:41 AM

Out of curiosity, Blackwolf, is your name derived from the character in Ralph Bakshi's Wizards by any chance?
I am the Fisher King.

I'd like a qui-gon jinn please with an obi-wan to go.

#17 User is offline   Blackwolf Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 24 December 2005 - 12:17 PM

QUOTE (Lord Aquaman @ Dec 24 2005, 05:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Out of curiosity, Blackwolf, is your name derived from the character in Ralph Bakshi's Wizards by any chance?

There was a Blackwolf in that film, but, as you know, I don't do the Bad Guys. ('Nuff said.)

Master Blackwolf

#18 User is offline   Lord Aquaman Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Movies, comic books, some mythology... basically anything that's larger than life.

Posted 29 December 2005 - 12:30 AM

So how about that trailer? Intriguing, yes?
I am the Fisher King.

I'd like a qui-gon jinn please with an obi-wan to go.

#19 User is offline   EwokHunter Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 29 December 2005 - 02:12 PM

Well I saw the trailer before seeing Narnia, with two other users in the page, but not very importants: Dellput and Shadoweye, we thought that trailer will be better, but I told them it was only a teaser...a GOOD teaser! smile.gif

#20 User is offline   Spoon Poetic Icon

• Pimpin'
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 09 July 2006 - 12:10 AM

So... Anyone seen it besides Janey and me? Thoughts? I thought they ripped us off with that cliffhanger, man. Disney should know better.
I am writing about Jm in my signature because apparently it's an effective method of ignoring him.

#21 User is offline   Jane Sherwood Icon

• Hello Master
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Far too many to list in this tiny space...

Posted 09 July 2006 - 12:18 AM

One great thing about the ending, though: Barbossa's entrance. Where the hell did he come from?!

And did anyone else stay for the bonus scene at the end?
Check out my crappy drawings!

Chyld is an ignorant slut.

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space; I'm a loony, for God's sake!"
- Campbell Bean (David Tennant), Takin' Over the Asylum, 1994
XD

#22 User is offline   Emu Icon

• the internets
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:fire, typing random things; getting guys drunk and getting them to do my Spanish homework for me; time travel; exploding things.

Posted 09 July 2006 - 02:05 AM

(just got back from seeing it now)

bonus scene?! aagh!!! how did we miss that? alas.

yeah, overall I quite enjoyed it but not too happy with that cliffhanger - my thoughts on that were, 'they don't need to resort to *those* tactics to get me to see the third film!'

and as for Barbossa's entrance at the end - there was a hint at that in the beginning when the undead monkey was let out of the cage, he ran over to a pair of boots sticking out from behind something or other, that looked like they were attached to the rest of a person. (still doesn't explain how he got there though.)
Head Gunner for the Royal Sloop Crimson Steel, Queen of the Dead, Instigator of Chaos and Confusion, Knight of the Grand Recursive Order of the Lambda Calculus, and also The Non.

Remember Emu's face, people; one day it's going to be on the news alongside a headline about blowing some landmark to smithereens, and then we can all sigh and say, "She was such a normal person".....
....We'd be lying though.
-Laughlyn

If my doctor tells me to exercise, I am going to force him to do my homework.
-Mirithorn

- Do Not Use the Elevators - deviantART - Infinite Monkeys -

#23 User is offline   Jedi_Arco Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 09 July 2006 - 03:48 AM

My review forthcoming, and no, it's not nearly as long as Superman Returns. blush.gif

Overall though, I had fun with this and it met my expectations and then some. I liked the ending, and if you look really closely when Jack gives the voodoo girl (can't remember her name) the moneky, it leaps off the table and into that back room. The next scene with the monkey, just before they leave the lady's hut, the monkey is at the feet of someone.

I'll try and stay spoiler free for this review, as it's a pretty cut and dry kinda movie.

I'd say go and see it for sure though.

#24 User is offline   Jane Sherwood Icon

• Hello Master
  • Interests:Far too many to list in this tiny space...

Posted 09 July 2006 - 06:49 AM

Well, Emu: You remember Walt, the key dog? It seems the cannibals will make anything their chief... tongue.gif

EDIT: I just realized that puppy has no real name in the movie. I just call him "Walt" because that's what they called him in Monkey Island 2.

This post has been edited by Jane Sherwood: 09 July 2006 - 06:51 AM

Check out my crappy drawings!

Chyld is an ignorant slut.

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space; I'm a loony, for God's sake!"
- Campbell Bean (David Tennant), Takin' Over the Asylum, 1994
XD

#25 User is offline   Otal Nimrodi Icon

• Miracle Ghost
  • Interests:I like my my little pony characters like I like my suspected criminals. Mirandized.

Posted 09 July 2006 - 08:33 AM

I'm going to see it today with Mirithorn and Rabies.
Want a Tarot reading?

PM me, we'll talk.

#26 User is offline   Emu Icon

• the internets
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:fire, typing random things; getting guys drunk and getting them to do my Spanish homework for me; time travel; exploding things.

Posted 09 July 2006 - 12:01 PM

Janey: yay they didn't eat the puppy! happy.gif
Head Gunner for the Royal Sloop Crimson Steel, Queen of the Dead, Instigator of Chaos and Confusion, Knight of the Grand Recursive Order of the Lambda Calculus, and also The Non.

Remember Emu's face, people; one day it's going to be on the news alongside a headline about blowing some landmark to smithereens, and then we can all sigh and say, "She was such a normal person".....
....We'd be lying though.
-Laughlyn

If my doctor tells me to exercise, I am going to force him to do my homework.
-Mirithorn

- Do Not Use the Elevators - deviantART - Infinite Monkeys -

#27 User is offline   Otal Nimrodi Icon

• Miracle Ghost
  • Interests:I like my my little pony characters like I like my suspected criminals. Mirandized.

Posted 09 July 2006 - 02:02 PM

I loved that movie! YAY JOHNNY DEPP!
Want a Tarot reading?

PM me, we'll talk.

#28 User is offline   Mirithorn Icon

• Expert Misologist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 July 2006 - 08:35 PM

I actually really liked the cliffhanger. This way, at least, they have some sort of incentive to do more than tack stuff on that doesn't really belong. Yup. Every inch as good as POTC 1.

*SPOILER*

Implied Jack/Elizabeth romance annoyed me. At least it was all put in in a way that I don't have to believe in it if I don't want to. So I'm not ready to throw a temper tantrum just yet. But I don't like excessive focus on romance. Here pretty much defined as "any".
"YOU'RE MISSING A PERIOD. YOU THINK IT'S FUNNY, DON'T YOU? YOU THINK IT'S FUNNY THAT YOU FUCK WITH GRAMMAR? WELL, FUCK YOU AND FUCK YOUR MISSING PERIOD! I HOPE IT MEANS YOUR SLUTTY, NON-PUNCTUATED WAYS HAVE GOTTEN YOU TEEN-PREGNANT!"

#29 User is offline   Spoon Poetic Icon

• Pimpin'
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 09 July 2006 - 09:57 PM

Here there be spoilers, matey. Arrrr.

Yeah, I was pretty pissed at Will for not bitch-slapping Elizabeth. They had the whole boat ride from the Black Pearl to that little island, and he just kept his mouth shut...

Though, I admit, if I had at my disposal a pair of handcuffs and a Captain Jack Sparrow, I would have taken advantage, too. wub.gif

As far as the cliffhanger ending, it mostly pissed me off because, well, Disney should know that EVERYONE's going to see the third one no matter what was in the second, so they didn't have to resort to not giving the second movie an ending. And not giving the second movie an ending means that the ending is in the third movie, which means no big surprises. We already pretty much know the villains, and we know what they're setting out to do - Elizabeth and Will and those other guys set out with Barbossa to bring Jack back (of course he's coming back, he's cast for the third movie), and to get the heart from the other bad guy (can't remember his name) to once and for all end Davy Jones' reign over the sea, and free Will's dad. Elizabeth and Will marry, et al. I mean, I know we don't know the hows and stuff, but I still feel gypped.
I am writing about Jm in my signature because apparently it's an effective method of ignoring him.

#30 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 10 July 2006 - 12:08 AM

I saw this movie in Las Vegas. With a showgirl!

I thought the movie was a stinker. Too much exposition (it has to carry the weight of two films, so presumably the next one will be to-the-hilt with action), and waaaayyy too much cartoon violence. The first didn't have as much as that, always doing its best to ground its comic-book elements at least superficially in the world of 9.8 metres per second squared, if you know what I mean. I don't know if anyone else noticed there wasn't one decent swordfight in the whole thing. Also lacking, dare I say it, given that the film was more fantasy than the first, were any really fantastic moments. Like when Elizabeth sees the undead pirates for the first time, or when the crew walks underwater, or heck, the fight between Jack and Barbossa in the moonlit cave of treasure. This film looked more clean, more like a video game, and didn't pull me in to its world. Also, and here's the spoilers:

In the first film, Jack doublecossed all over the place, but only because he had a master plan and was basically a good guy, albeit tight-lipped. In this film, he's a cad, just because apparently the screenwriters figured that's how he's supposed to behave. And more on Jack: his comic relief was more slapstick than previously, to the point that we had two movies running tandem: the Jack Sparrow comedy show, and the story with all of the other actors in it. One critic likened this effect to a Marx Brothers film, and I think he had it spot-on. I still hold out hope for the final sequel, but this middle installment did not for me have any of the charm of the first. And for me, that hasn't anything to do with the cliffhanger, which I thought was decent. It had everything to do with the muddled and silly action that led up to it.

This post has been edited by civilian_number_two: 10 July 2006 - 12:11 AM

"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size