Chefelf.com Night Life: G.Lucas:"Father of Digital Cinema" - Chefelf.com Night Life

Star Wars Fan Convention

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • « First

G.Lucas:"Father of Digital Cinema" Don't make me puke...

#46 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 17 March 2005 - 06:40 PM

geez man... i'm not trouncing on lucas for yoda not being as good as gollum. UTF started that little war... or maybe i did... it's too late to flick back now... but i'm sure it was he.

the central point is, for me personaly - because my opinion is only mine to give, is that quite frankly the puppet yoda was brilliant and believable. more so than the cgi one... which brings some of to quote ye olde exp​ression:"if it aint broke don't fix it"

the only real plausable argument or justification for the application is the jump-around crouching-goblin hidden-gremlin fught seen with count dracula, i mean doku.

now there was no need to show yoda doing that... he was nearly 900 years old. he could barley walk, then he jumped around. it really took away from his character... it was kind of fun to watch, but it just wasn't right. they made him CGI because of a compulsive need to make nothing real. just like all the pre-production shots that are 99% green.

that's not directing... that's not even something awfuls photoshop phriday!!!

yoda should have remained a puppet. his movements wwere great, his personality and facial exp​ressions were endearing. and the actors had a live character in front of them.

his motions are false and unrealistic. he's a video game character.

if we are to bring gollum into this...
the CGI was mapped and based on the acting of Andy Sirkis. the CGI was used in touch-up type affair... to make him thinner and drained. not to dominate his existance. when i watch gollum, i forget that he's CGI, his presence is there... the actors feel it, the character feels it, and the audience accepts it.

Yoda isn't there, Jar-Jar isn't there... nodody's there, the actors show it, because half of them haven't been told whats there... the characters don't blend with them as a result... and the audience i feel is ripped off.

the only time i believe yoda is real, is when he is not on screene and the other characters are talking about him. because they are doing a good job.

CGI is appropriate for replacing people, only altering them.

and i wish people would learn to understand that.

#47 User is offline   use the force Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Former Members

Posted 17 March 2005 - 08:22 PM

what is so hard to understand about this. A puppet yoda can't fight, a cgi yoda can. Its as simple as that. And no, the puppet whose lips don't match really doesnt look that much better in comparison.Actually it doesnt look better at all.

#48 User is offline   srmoore Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Redcloud Collective

Posted 17 March 2005 - 08:29 PM

Hrm.. i can't believe this has decended into this argument.
Especially when they weren't even talking about CGI in the first place.

Digital Cinema does not equal CGI

#49 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Post icon  Posted 17 March 2005 - 10:24 PM

QUOTE (use the force @ Mar 17 2005, 08:22 PM)
what is so hard to understand about this. A puppet yoda can't fight, a cgi yoda can. Its as simple as that. And no, the puppet whose lips don't match really doesnt look that much better in comparison.Actually it doesnt look better at all.

firstly, my point was that Yoda didn't need to fight. at 900, he should have evolved beyond physical combat. it contradics almost everything he says in ESB.

secondly, do you think when i go to the effort of typing something that long, you could do me a favour and not respond with flat contradiction. it wastes my time and does nothing for your argument...

#50 User is offline   use the force Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 March 2005 - 10:34 PM

if yoda didnt fight, dooku would of killed obi wan and anakin leaving us with now ot.
ANd how does yoda fighting contradict anything he said in the ot? Give me some examples.

#51 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 17 March 2005 - 11:17 PM

(wars not make one great, how could you forget that?)

Yoda trains Luke.

Yoda trains Luke how to be a Jedi.

Jedis use light sabers.

Why don't we see Yoda teach Luke how to fight properly with a light saber?

Because it's not important to the story.

"Yeah, but
if yoda didnt fight, dooku would of killed obi wan and anakin leaving us with now ot.

Sooo, You're among the willing to Throw the baby out with the bath water?

#52 User is offline   use the force Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 March 2005 - 11:29 PM

"wars not make one great"

first of all, he was fighting to save his friends. second of all he didnt brag about any of that shit he did. yoda said that to luke, reflecting on what he had been through in the clone wars. it makes more sense for a guy expierenced in battle to say that than a guy who has never participated in any physical combat ever.

#53 User is offline   CowboyCurtis Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I lose interest in more things each and every day as things grow more and more mediocre and substandard...

Posted 18 March 2005 - 12:15 AM

Okay... once again: Yoda only learns this at the END of his 900 years of existence... and you know what all of the OLD WARRIORS I knew fought their wars when they were YOUNG!!! And then they wax all poetic when they're older.

I don't buy what you're saying... not one little bit.

Yoda could've saved them without resorting to physical. It's ridiculous to me that Yoda pulls all of the wizardry-skills FIRST... and THEN they have to settle it with sabers. That is so blinking goofy!!!!
Flying Ferret

Battle for the Galaxy--read the "other Star Wars"

All I know is I haven't seen the real prequels yet.

#54 User is offline   Hannibal Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 March 2005 - 12:19 AM

"secondly, do you think when i go to the effort of typing something that long, you could do me a favour and not respond with flat contradiction. "

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAHHAHAHHAHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ahem....HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You should try that yourself backend.

now, aside from that I agree with what you wrote. Because I read it.
"Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities also has the power to make you commit atrocities."
~ Voltaire (1694-1778)

Enjoy this Tribute to Nazism...(Mp3)

#55 User is offline   jariten Icon

• making the nature scene
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 March 2005 - 04:02 AM

By sheer coincidence, I was watching Jedi yesterday with the commentary track on (its pretty interesting, if anyone gets a chance). The puppet Yoda looked RUBBISH, I was surprised how badly it had dated.

Now then, I said this before but noone seems to have read it- even without the fighting, the script demands that Yoda not only moves around in a way that would be impossible for a puppet, but has lines and exp​ressions that a puppet just could not do. I know you all hate AotC, but try to watch it with that in mind.

"war does not make one great". Using that line to say the Dooku fight contradicts Yodas character doesnt make much sense. That line is from a later episode, after which Yoda has been through the 'horrors of war' or whatever and presumably had to take stock of this and that in his life. You're meant to think forward with these things, and imagine that in the future SW will be watched (or at least understood that its supposed to be watched) in sequence.

#56 User is offline   CowboyCurtis Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I lose interest in more things each and every day as things grow more and more mediocre and substandard...

Posted 18 March 2005 - 01:29 PM

Given a good story, good characters, good plotting, good editing...

...we can be quite forgiving.

If the story and characters of the PT had been so, I think we could've been equally forgiving.

This post has been edited by CowboyCurtis: 18 March 2005 - 01:33 PM

Flying Ferret

Battle for the Galaxy--read the "other Star Wars"

All I know is I haven't seen the real prequels yet.

#57 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man

Posted 20 March 2005 - 08:56 PM

QUOTE (Hannibal @ Mar 18 2005, 12:19 AM)
"secondly, do you think when i go to the effort of typing something that long, you could do me a favour and not respond with flat contradiction. "

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAHHAHAHHAHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ahem....HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You should try that yourself backend.

now, aside from that I agree with what you wrote. Because I read it.

whatever....

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • « First

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size