Chefelf.com Night Life: G.Lucas:"Father of Digital Cinema" - Chefelf.com Night Life

Star Wars Fan Convention

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

G.Lucas:"Father of Digital Cinema" Don't make me puke...

#1 User is offline   Hannibal Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Former Members

Posted 02 March 2005 - 04:37 PM

George Lucas to be Keynote Speaker at SIGGRAPH 2005 Conference

CHICAGO --(Business Wire)-- March 1, 2005 -- World-renowned director, producer, and screenwriter George Lucas will present the SIGGRAPH 2005 keynote address, "George Lucas: A Keynote Q&A with the Father of Digital Cinema," on 1 August during the 32nd International Conference on Computer Graphics & Interactive Techniques, 31 July - 4 August 2005 in Los Angeles.

don't make me laugh, Lucas is NOT the "Father of Digital Cinema" remember the Shadow? Computer animation effects long before Star Wars...and I am positive, there was digital effects before Phantom Menace or Jurassic Park.

"Lucas' remarkable storytelling and cinematic technical achievements have awed and inspired the computer graphics community for more than 30 years," said James L. Mohler, SIGGRAPH 2005 Conference Chair from Purdue University. "Drawing from his three decades of experience making movies, Lucas' insights promise to intrigue and engage conference attendees across all industries and interests."

His storytelling is shit. Gollum digital effects blew Jar Jar Binks effects away by lightyears,

Over 25,000 computer graphics and interactive technology professionals from six continents will gather at SIGGRAPH 2005 to showcase their best work to a multi-disciplinary international community. A comprehensive technical progr
am and special events focusing on research, art, animation, games, interactivity, and the web are planned. SIGGRAPH 2005 includes a three-day exhibition of products and services for the computer graphics and interactive marketplace from 2 - 4 August 2005.

Lets hope these geniuses ask the real questions like:

"Hey Mr.Lucas, what the fuck were you thinking regarding jar Jar binks?"
"Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities also has the power to make you commit atrocities."
~ Voltaire (1694-1778)

Enjoy this Tribute to Nazism...(Mp3)

#2 User is offline   use the force Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 March 2005 - 08:35 PM

ilm helped the lotr boy with gollum. and rots yoda blows gollum to another galaxy.

#3 User is offline   Paladin Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 03 March 2005 - 01:57 AM

GL's delusions about being the father of digital cinema reminds me of a bunch of other wacko kids who made ridicules claims like that. Tell me something, why is it that I believe that GL's mental capabilities are reducing to that of a child?

#4 User is offline   HK 47 Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 March 2005 - 04:24 AM

ilm helped the lotr boy with gollum.

Rubbish! Weta/Jackson ran the show, not ILM. However a few people at Weta (Joe Letteri for example) has previously worked at ILM, I'll give you that. I challenge you to find any piece of information that directly credits ILM for Gollum.

and rots yoda blows gollum to another galaxy.

AHAHAHAHAHA!!!! In what way exactly? Number of polygons? In case you didn't realize, technical achievement means nothing if you haven't got a good story to tell.

This post has been edited by HK 47: 03 March 2005 - 04:25 AM

#5 User is offline   Sagacity Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 03 March 2005 - 02:31 PM

ilm helped the lotr boy with gollum.

Wrong, wrong, wrong. Rick McCallum invited PJ to ILM, and PJ got advice on doing pre-visualization. He wanted to translate his storyboards into something more akin to what he would actually shoot on film later.

Evidence crediting ILM for Gollum? Ain't none.

and rots yoda blows gollum to another galaxy.

That's so funny I forgot to laugh. dry.gif

#6 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 03 March 2005 - 02:49 PM

and rots yoda blows

Yeah, he blows alright.

#7 User is offline   littlejerryseinfeld Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 03 March 2005 - 03:56 PM

i guess if you consider having actors stand in front of green-screens, interacting with a stick with a tennis ball on it, then - yes, G.L. is a visionary.

#8 User is offline   use the force Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 March 2005 - 07:33 PM

sorry, but rots yoda is the most realistic cgi creature ever created. someone find a pic of gollum and we will compare the two. hk 47, i'll take the rots story over lotr anyday.

#9 User is offline   Hannibal Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 March 2005 - 07:47 PM

"sorry, but rots yoda is the most realistic cgi creature ever created. someone find a pic of"

Nobody has seen Revenge of the Shit, so it can't be said. Secondly, it is IPSO FACTO, special effects, technology is assumed to progress and get better. Its a given that one day Gollum will be superceded by better special effects.

Since you haven't seen ROTS then you couldn't possibly say that yet.

Argument closed.
"Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities also has the power to make you commit atrocities."
~ Voltaire (1694-1778)

Enjoy this Tribute to Nazism...(Mp3)

#10 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 03 March 2005 - 11:37 PM

Digital weta:
Oliphants
Gollum
Cave Troll
Balrog
the watcher
Millions of Orcs/Goblins/and Uruk Hai
the battle of helms deep
the battle of Pelanor
GROND
the last alliance
the witchkings fat ass flail
the ents
the cleansing of isengard
a nifty fireball
the void

lucas and friends
yoda (who looked less convincing than the puppet who portrayed him in 1980)
Jar Jar binks (who looked about as convincing as a 7' tall baverian with a rubber glove on his head entering a cock-fight)
some average looking ships
some passable robots
a very unbelievable 50s style diner owner

hmmmm... tough call.

then there's this absolutley bullshit remark:
Lucas' remarkable storytelling and cinematic technical achievements have awed and inspired the computer graphics community for more than 30 years

really? and what CGI feat did he pull off in 1985?
unless they thought lucas made TRON!!! or has the recent burial of the OT and newer added in FX in order to change the past actually changed the past?!? so now everyone thinks that the OT:SE DVD box set is what came out in 1977,1980,1983?

if so... maybe he deserves an award.

however, bladerunner looked far superior to the original SW.

and it was films like TRON, the abyss, Terminator 2, the crow that completely revolutionised the world of CGI.
it was when young film makers saw geoff bridges in world made entirely of CGI (in a justified context), The water tenticle emerge from the moon pool, everything the T-100 did, and a movie completed after the main actor was killed two thirds through production.

no Disney, James Cameron, and Alex Proyas deserve that award, honor and claim to fame loooooooong before lucas.

GL revolutionised CGI??? not a bar of it my friends... you can fuck that claim right off!!! do you here me...

in what way did howard the duck, caravan of courage, battle for endor, contibute to 'changing the world' of CGI?

what a crock of undeserving bullshit!!! THAT SICKENS ME!!!

UTF: yoda better than Gollum? how could you even say that with a straight face...?

#11 User is offline   CowboyCurtis Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I lose interest in more things each and every day as things grow more and more mediocre and substandard...

Posted 03 March 2005 - 11:46 PM

Damn straight!!! In the video diaries they were more worried about Yoda's "ear wiggles" than they were about getting a passable performance of the "critter" or to look like the puppet.

Gollum was far more believable as a character.
Flying Ferret

Battle for the Galaxy--read the "other Star Wars"

All I know is I haven't seen the real prequels yet.

#12 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 04 March 2005 - 01:41 AM

The 1985 techno breakthrough was ILM's animated Stained glass window / knight creation for "Young Sherlock Holmes," (which I'm sure you'd momentarily forgotten.)

ESB yoda puppet sets the standard.

PT yodas can't replicate the "heart" of the OT yoda performances.

But surround him with dozens of New, "imper-You've-d" CGI buddies, and the human performances will REALLY Shine! wink.gif

#13 User is offline   HK 47 Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 March 2005 - 05:38 AM

sorry, but rots yoda is the most realistic cgi creature ever created. someone find a pic of gollum and we will compare the two.

I'm sure that's what ILM says. And I'm sure that all the multilayered shaders and particle generators for Yodas impending fart etc. are top notch. However, a great CGI character becomes realistic through great writing and acting. You know, the stuff Lucas always gets wrong. PJ, Serkis and Weta has proven that once and for all. Like people here already pointed out, wait for the film.

hk 47, i'll take the rots story over lotr anyday.

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif laugh.gif

#14 User is offline   use the force Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 March 2005 - 01:15 PM

hahaha look you see i like the rots plot more than lotr har dee har har isnt that funny?

#15 User is offline   HK 47 Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 March 2005 - 01:26 PM

No hard feelings, Use The Force. This is just your average Basher vs. Gusher banter. smile.gif

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size