Chefelf.com Night Life: Cows Are Cultivated and Cultured Creatures... - Chefelf.com Night Life

Crappy News Forum

This is a REPLY ONLY form. Only Crappy News Moderators can post news topics here. Anyone is free to reply to the news topics. It's the Crappy News Forum, where everyone's a winner!

Page 1 of 1

Cows Are Cultivated and Cultured Creatures... Sunday, February 27, 2005

#1 User is offline   Chyld Icon

• Ancient Monstrosity
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team

Posted 27 February 2005 - 10:55 AM

The secret life of moody cows
February 27, 2005

ONCE they were a byword for mindless docility. But cows have a secret mental life in which they bear grudges, nurture friendships and become excited over intellectual challenges, scientists have found.

Cows are also capable of feeling strong emotions such as pain, fear and even anxiety — they worry about the future. But if farmers provide the right conditions, they can also feel great happiness.

The findings have emerged from studies of farm animals that have found similar traits in pigs, goats, chickens and other livestock. They suggest that such animals may be so emotionally similar to humans that welfare laws need to be rethought.

Christine Nicol, professor of animal welfare at Bristol University, said even chickens may have to be treated as individuals with needs and problems.

“Remarkable cognitive abilities and cultural innovations have been revealed,” she said. “Our challenge is to teach others that every animal we intend to eat or use is a complex individual, and to adjust our farming culture accordingly.”

Nicol will be presenting her findings to a scientific conference to be held in London next month by Compassion in World Farming, the animal welfare lobby group.

John Webster, professor of animal husbandry at Bristol, has just published a book on the topic, Animal Welfare: Limping Towards Eden. “People have assumed that intelligence is linked to the ability to suffer and that because animals have smaller brains they suffer less than humans. That is a pathetic piece of logic,” he said.

Webster and his colleagues have documented how cows within a herd form smaller friendship groups of between two and four animals with whom they spend most of their time, often grooming and licking each other. They will also dislike other cows and can bear grudges for months or years.

Dairy cow herds can also be intensely sexual. Webster describes how the cows become excited when one of the herd comes into heat and start trying to mount her. “Cows look calm, but really they are gay nymphomaniacs,” he said.

Donald Broom, professor of animal welfare at Cambridge University, who is presenting other research at the conference, will describe how cows can also become excited by solving intellectual challenges.

In one study, researchers challenged the animals with a task where they had to find how to open a door to get some food. An electroencephalograph was used to measure their brainwaves.

“Their brainwaves showed their excitement; their heartbeat went up and some even jumped into the air. We called it their Eureka moment,” said Broom.

The assumption that farm animals cannot suffer from conditions that would be considered intolerable for humans is partly based on the idea that they are less intelligent than people and have no “sense of self”.

Increasingly, however, research reveals this to be untrue. Keith Kendrick, professor of neurobiology at the Babraham Institute in Cambridge, has found that even sheep are far more complex than realised and can remember 50 ovine faces — even in profile. They can recognise another sheep after a year apart.

Kendrick has also described how sheep can form strong affections for particular humans, becoming depressed by long separations and greeting them enthusiastically even after three years.

The Compassion in World Farming conference will be opened with a keynote speech by Jane Goodall, the primatologist who founded the study of animal sentience with her research into chimpanzees in the early 1960s.

Goodall overturned the then accepted belief that animals were simply automatons showing little individuality or emotions. It has taken many years, however, for scientists to accept that such ideas could be applied to a wide range of other animals.

“Sentient animals have the capacity to experience pleasure and are motivated to seek it,” said Webster. “You only have to watch how cows and lambs both seek and enjoy pleasure when they lie with their heads raised to the sun on a perfect English summer’s day. Just like humans.”

http://www.timesonli...1502933,00.html

Hmm, huge choice from the Sunday Times - a piece about women having affairs, an attack on paedophilia hysteria, or a nice story about cows. Sorted.

This post has been edited by Chyld: 27 February 2005 - 10:57 AM

When you lose your calm, you feed your anger.

Less Is More v4
Now resigned to a readership of me, my cat and some fish

#2 User is offline   Jane Sherwood Icon

• Hello Master
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Far too many to list in this tiny space...

Posted 27 February 2005 - 02:58 PM

Do they want me to feel guilty for enjoying meat so much? The last thing I want to think about when I'm eating my big juicy steak is, "I wonder what the cow was thinking before they slaughtered it..." or "Did it realize it was going to its death?" or even "Was this cow the farm bicycle?"
Check out my crappy drawings!

Chyld is an ignorant slut.

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space; I'm a loony, for God's sake!"
- Campbell Bean (David Tennant), Takin' Over the Asylum, 1994
XD

#3 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 27 February 2005 - 05:52 PM

after everything scientists believe they KNOW about dogs, i no longer hold any value in their opinions...

there fore cows want to be eaten!!!

#4 User is offline   Kirby Icon

• Zzzz
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Geeking out and nerding it up.

Posted 27 February 2005 - 11:23 PM

Firstly, before you take any of this serious, remember I don't care about animals. They are there, I don't seek to harm them or help the, I just don't care. (although cats and dogs are cool by me, but squirls are ploting against me, and monkeys are just biding their time till their space friends come and help them rule the world.)

I also found a few things wrong with this article.

Cows are also capable of feeling strong emotions such as pain, fear and even anxiety — they worry about the future. But if farmers provide the right conditions, they can also feel great happiness.

What are we suppose to do? Give the damned things zoloft when they're in a slump, They're Cows!!! yell.gif

“Sentient animals have the capacity to experience pleasure and are motivated to seek it,”

If so, then why hasn't there been an open revolt. When Shamoo organizes a revolution against the oppressors then I'll start beleiving they have any real intellegence. dry.gif

And lastly...
“Cows look calm, but really they are gay nymphomaniacs,”

Just... eeww sick.gif
The Power of Christ Impales You!
- Tagline for Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter

You've read it, you can't un-read it. Stay tooned for more
TALES OF INTEREST.
I like to be part of the crowd so I want to say that Icey is the best guy ever

#5 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 28 February 2005 - 03:07 AM

Meat. I can take it or leave it. Doesn't taste so spectacular like everybody makes it out to be.
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#6 User is offline   Radu094 Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 28 February 2005 - 07:23 AM

Someone should give these guys free Animal Planet for a week.
By the time they see what happens in the savannah when a crocodile / lion / whatever encircles a small baby-antilope..then ripps it appart...then we should talk about hurting the cow's feelings.

Appling human ethics to a food-chain that has been constructed by nature is on the same level of stupidity as those guys who are using the bible to prove there are no extraterestrials. Or a cook-book to show there is no God. One does not apply to the other... jess'

All this talk about cows made me hungry...
I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant.

#7 User is offline   Slade Icon

• Full of Bombs and/or Keys
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 07 March 2005 - 12:19 AM

Yeah. It's predator and prey, here. Lions don't go around hoping that they don't frighten the wildebeast as they rip it apart. I don't think "Boy, I hope they were nice to that cow!" before I eat a cheeseburger. Granted, just because you're going to eat something doesn't mean you should treat it like shit until it's time to eat it.
This space for rent. Inquire within.

#8 User is offline   Jane Sherwood Icon

• Hello Master

Posted 07 March 2005 - 01:28 AM

Actually, I think lions would be careful not to frighten a wildebeast, because you know, wildebeasts can trample them to death. Remember The Lion King? You freak them out, then Mufasa is down!

...I should go to bed now...

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space; I'm a loony, for God's sake!"
XD

#9 User is offline   Chyld Icon

• Ancient Monstrosity

Posted 07 March 2005 - 06:51 AM

Plus, there's the fact that frightened meat is tougher. Its a fact! Apparently. Must be about tendons tightening, or something.

Less Is More v4

#10 User is offline   Jane Sherwood Icon

• Hello Master

Posted 07 March 2005 - 12:49 PM

No, I still think it has more to do with the "Not getting trampled to death by the food" issue.

XD

#11 User is offline   Chyld Icon

• Ancient Monstrosity

Posted 07 March 2005 - 12:53 PM

Well, OK, but I still think there must be some fussy lions...

Less Is More v4

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size