Chefelf.com Night Life: Man Can Sue Over Surprise Pregnancy - Chefelf.com Night Life

Crappy News Forum

This is a REPLY ONLY form. Only Crappy News Moderators can post news topics here. Anyone is free to reply to the news topics. It's the Crappy News Forum, where everyone's a winner!

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Man Can Sue Over Surprise Pregnancy Thursday, February 24, 2005

#1 User is offline   Chyld Icon

• Ancient Monstrosity
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team

Posted 24 February 2005 - 02:55 PM

Man Can Sue Over Surprise Pregnancy
Thu, Feb 24, 2005

CHICAGO - An appeals court said a man can press a claim for emotional distress after learning a former lover had used his sperm to have a baby. But he can't claim theft, the ruling said, because the sperm were hers to keep.

The ruling Wednesday by the Illinois Appellate Court sends Dr. Richard O. Phillips' distress case back to trial court.

Phillips accuses Dr. Sharon Irons of a "calculated, profound personal betrayal" after their affair six years ago, saying she secretly kept semen after they had oral sex, then used it to get pregnant.

He said he didn't find out about the child for nearly two years, when Irons filed a paternity lawsuit. DNA tests confirmed Phillips was the father, the court papers state.

Phillips was ordered to pay about $800 a month in child support, said Irons' attorney, Enrico Mirabelli.

Phillips sued Irons, claiming he has had trouble sleeping and eating and has been haunted by "feelings of being trapped in a nightmare," court papers state.

Irons responded that her alleged actions weren't "truly extreme and outrageous" and that Phillips' pain wasn't bad enough to merit a lawsuit. The circuit court agreed and dismissed Phillips' lawsuit in 2003.

But the higher court ruled that, if Phillips' story is true, Irons "deceitfully engaged in sexual acts, which no reasonable person would expect could result in pregnancy, to use plaintiff's sperm in an unorthodox, unanticipated manner yielding extreme consequences."

The judges backed the lower court decision to dismiss the fraud and theft claims, agreeing with Irons that she didn't steal the sperm.

"She asserts that when plaintiff 'delivered' his sperm, it was a gift — an absolute and irrevocable transfer of title to property from a donor to a donee," the decision said. "There was no agreement that the original deposit would be returned upon request."

Phillips is representing himself in the case. He could not be reached for comment Thursday.

"There's a 5-year-old child here," Mirabelli said. "Imagine how a child feels when your father says he feels emotionally damaged by your birth."
http://story.news.ya...sperm_theft&e=5

"There was no agreement that the original deposit would be returned upon request"? Its not a blooming bank loan, people, its the Miraculous Elixer of Life!

Thanks to Slade for this one!

This post has been edited by Chyld: 24 February 2005 - 08:28 PM

When you lose your calm, you feed your anger.

Less Is More v4
Now resigned to a readership of me, my cat and some fish

#2 User is offline   Kirby Icon

• Zzzz
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Geeking out and nerding it up.

Posted 24 February 2005 - 06:24 PM

I just have to say that his lawyer is an idiot. tongue.gif

I also have to say that in my experiance in AP Sex Ed. class (they teach the positions amoung other things thumbsup.gif ) you can't save sperm in your mouth, wait for him to clean up and leave, and then head to a artificial insemination lab and get it injected without damaging the sperm.

But everybody please praise the judge for not even letting this go to court. Even though if I were judge I would get right out of that little judgeing-table-thingy (yes that is the technical term) and kick his weasaly ass.
The Power of Christ Impales You!
- Tagline for Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter

You've read it, you can't un-read it. Stay tooned for more
TALES OF INTEREST.
I like to be part of the crowd so I want to say that Icey is the best guy ever

#3 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

• Knows All The Girls Named Lola
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Tyranny

Posted 24 February 2005 - 06:26 PM

Sperm thief. That sounds like a good insult. I also think its very funny that a judge has to deal with these two. "No sir, you cant say she stole your sperm." and then he has to turn around and say "No, you crazy bitch, if you use his sperm to impregnate yourself without his knowledge it does not make him your child's father." I personally would have liked to see them on judge Judy, except for the fact that hearing judge Judy discuss oral sex would send deathly chills up my spine...

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.
- Deucaon toes a hard line on gay fetus rights.

#4 User is offline   Jane Sherwood Icon

• Hello Master
  • Interests:Far too many to list in this tiny space...

Posted 24 February 2005 - 07:47 PM

What the hell did she do? Have a little container to spit it in when he was finished?! Drop it at the last moment and catch it in something?! pinch.gif

What the hell?!
Check out my crappy drawings!

Chyld is an ignorant slut.

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space; I'm a loony, for God's sake!"
- Campbell Bean (David Tennant), Takin' Over the Asylum, 1994
XD

#5 User is offline   Chyld Icon

• Ancient Monstrosity

Posted 24 February 2005 - 08:30 PM

I believe the question is "Why the hell?" There's plenty of sperm banks around nowadays...

Less Is More v4

#6 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

• Knows All The Girls Named Lola
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Tyranny

Posted 24 February 2005 - 10:09 PM

The answer to your question is because....

Every sperm is sacred
every sperm is great
if a sperm is wasted
god gets quite irate!

-Lyrics from Monty Python's sperm song.

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.
- Deucaon toes a hard line on gay fetus rights.

#7 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 25 February 2005 - 02:37 AM

He shouldn't have to pay her a cent in child support. Doing something like that is just plain insane. She should be taken in for a mental check up. I mean, really.
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#8 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 25 February 2005 - 08:59 AM

Wow, after reading the headline I just naturally assumed it was the guy who was being insane. How wrong I was.

"There's a 5-year-old child here," Mirabelli said. "Imagine how a child feels when your father says he feels emotionally damaged by your birth."

Yeah, but chances are that that child will grow up into a person that realizes their mother was a complete loon.
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#9 User is offline   Jane Sherwood Icon

• Hello Master
  • Interests:Far too many to list in this tiny space...

Posted 25 February 2005 - 09:29 AM

QUOTE (J m HofMarN @ Feb 24 2005, 10:09 PM)
Every sperm is sacred
every sperm is great
if a sperm is wasted
god gets quite irate!

I was waiting for someone to do that. laugh.gif

Hindu, Toaist, Mormons
spill theirs most anywhere
but god loves those who treat their
semen with more care!

Seriously, though, maybe he was just very good looking? Or she had a grudge against him from before they broke it off and wanted to suck him dry-GET HIM BACK! She wanted to get him back and steal his money.

pinch.gif
Check out my crappy drawings!

Chyld is an ignorant slut.

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space; I'm a loony, for God's sake!"
- Campbell Bean (David Tennant), Takin' Over the Asylum, 1994
XD

#10 User is offline   Chyld Icon

• Ancient Monstrosity

Posted 25 February 2005 - 09:36 AM

"Mummy, how are babies made?"

And with that, the scarring of the child began.

But seriously, returning to the point I made in the initial post? If we're going to talk about blow-jobs in such a pretentious, serious and, above all, moronic fashion, then we should point out that the conventional contractual agreement of a blowjob is that the lady either "spits" or "swallows". If said lady wishes to utilise the gentleman's sperm for incemination, there is a more conventional, universally recognised (and more mutually enjoyable wink.gif) method of exchange.

And also...

"There's a 5-year-old child here," Mirabelli said. "Imagine how a child feels when your father says he feels emotionally damaged by your birth.

What about the father, who's being asked to make payments on something he didn't buy. Its quite simply another skany-ass whore demeaning the whole principle of paternity payments by bleeding an innocent dry.

If you ask me, we should slit every single person in America qualified as a lawyer, and start afresh.

Less Is More v4

#11 User is offline   Slade Icon

• Full of Bombs and/or Keys
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 26 February 2005 - 11:16 PM

Quite! (In all aspects.)

Kirbs - Yeah, a good 2.8 million of the 3 (I dunno the actual figures, but there's only a really small number that make it anywhere) that start on the journey to ensemination get wiped out just piloting their spaceships up the fallopian tubes. It takes some luck and a deft pilot to impregnate an egg. Kinda makes me wonder how my Y half made it all the way there, what with how I ended up turning out...
This space for rent. Inquire within.

#12 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 February 2005 - 12:23 PM

Of course it's pretty amazing that this woman conceived a child this way, all as part of a plan to demand $800 a month in child support from a father never even invited to see his child (He first learned the child existed when he was sued). But the greater injustice is that the $800/mo ruling would have stuck had she shown up two years later to announce the existence of a child, conceived conventionally, that he'd had no decision in (sure they had sex, but let's say he hadn't forced her, and abortion is out there, and an option for her and not for him).

[bag of worms]

When are we going to move forward and admit that paternity is not a crime? That it is possible (and in this case 100% what happened) that a woman can decide to have a child, and that a man can provide sperm but be otherwise uninvolved?

[/bag of worms]
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#13 User is offline   Madam Corvax Icon

• Buggy Purveyor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 February 2005 - 01:21 PM

*Side note to Civilian - I hope I won't offend you (some guys in this forum ARE oversensitive), but this is quite interesting to me .
You do seem to have a thing about the paternity issue. I shall have to keep it in mind for future use. Every time I would fancy seeing you reply, I'll come up with some topic about fathering a child, inadvertedly or otherwise*

#14 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 February 2005 - 05:08 PM

I think you'll find my nipples are a bit sensitive, and not in my case erogenous. Just for the record. However, you won't be able to "hurt" me with replies. I do appreciate the concern, but go ahead.

Anyway, it's not like I hijacked the Kenny Baker drunk driving thread. Just using this thread to make an on-topic comment regarding somehting that yes, I believe is not well-charted legal area.

Not sure what you meant by the crack, MC, but I know there was a joke in there, so no offense taken. I have sent you the sperm you requested, in the refrigerated container. Expect 3-4 days for delivery.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#15 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 27 February 2005 - 05:29 PM

holy crap!!! i can't believe the guy got screwed on those grounds...
(i want his exs lawyer BTW)

that's quite a case... rediculous and evil...

i'm going to date a girl, i'm going to wait until she offers me a slice of apple pie and cream, i'll say "yum yum" but secretly hide it behind the couch and dump her.
then six years later, I'll eat it and get food poisoning and have her charged with attempted murder.

same scenario...

---------------------------------

guys get screwed enough when they intentionally have a child...

this is just scary...

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size