• +
  • « First

Glamis, book 2 Part 2 of my satirical fantasy novel

#286 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 29 April 2005 - 11:02 PM

Bravo! Well done! I remembered last night you saying that the lost elf would have something to do at the end, and was wondering why he hadn't showed up biggrin.gif

And Gilliam finally bit it. Thank god nobody was attached to him, like a certain elf/dwarf pair.

I'm sorry to see it end, but it had a great run. Now onto the editing and the full time production.
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#287 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 30 April 2005 - 03:07 AM

Thank you, JM. I've enjoyed catching up on Glamis and his mates for a good many months now and it's been a wonderful ride. Like Sime said, it's sad to see it end but oh boy, what a ride!

Best of luck with the editing, manuscript submissions and all the rest. I hope it goes well.

Bravo.

#288 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

• Knows All The Girls Named Lola
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Tyranny

Posted 30 April 2005 - 03:46 AM

it was good times. Thanks to both of you for the input, I really had fun writing this and I'm glad you were here with me at the end of all things.

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.
- Deucaon toes a hard line on gay fetus rights.

#289 User is offline   Mnesymone Icon

• Champion
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Food, books, movies, history, languages, religions (though I'm an atheist), miracles of nature and marvels of technology.<br /><br />Particularly: steak, the Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, The Dark Ages in Europe, the 'created' languages, the mythologies of defunct European cultures, fish and cars.

Posted 30 April 2005 - 05:25 AM

Even when not actually writing you can still reference fantasy - or rather Lord of the Rings.

Good show, and good ending.

#290 User is offline   Madam Corvax Icon

• Buggy Purveyor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 April 2005 - 05:28 AM

Congratulations on complation of your novel! I also can't waitl for the edited script to try shouting that I'll cut your johnson. I am sure I'll put all my heart into that scene smile.gif

#291 User is offline   Laughlyn Icon

• Token drunk
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Who am I? I'm Laughlyn, resident Gentleman B*stard of the highest order of the british empire, A geek who's crawled out of the far side of the abyss to wreck havoc upon his breathren. A closet troll, purveyor of bartender brand advice (<br />Call me for realtionship advice\general abuse on +447949623581.... Just don't expect me to answer), thinks-he's-artsy person, and occasional Pirate.<br /><br />Interests? What the bloody hell is this? A census?

Posted 30 April 2005 - 07:16 AM

Hey, no one's spotted the Suikoden 108 stars\random arrows reference. I finally get one. I wonder if JM's played the sequel.....
IPB Image
I want to go back to the films of the 80's, where plots were simple, and explosions happened regularly....

#292 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 30 April 2005 - 11:28 AM

Oh, I thought the random arrow was from Ctrl+Alt+Del.
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#293 User is offline   Laughlyn Icon

• Token drunk
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Who am I? I'm Laughlyn, resident Gentleman B*stard of the highest order of the british empire, A geek who's crawled out of the far side of the abyss to wreck havoc upon his breathren. A closet troll, purveyor of bartender brand advice (<br />Call me for realtionship advice\general abuse on +447949623581.... Just don't expect me to answer), thinks-he's-artsy person, and occasional Pirate.<br /><br />Interests? What the bloody hell is this? A census?

Posted 30 April 2005 - 01:05 PM

potential Spoiler related stuff that you'll probably read anyway.

I'm not sure, but at the end of Suikoden a bunch of characters kept getting wiped out by random arrows from off camera, so it fit in with the 108* stuff. Plus, If JM's going really, really obscure, the guy who dies and needs 107*'s to resurrect appears in the sequel, for no explainable reason. In fact I think he gets killed by random arrows as well post resurrection.

IPB Image
I want to go back to the films of the 80's, where plots were simple, and explosions happened regularly....

#294 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

Posted 30 April 2005 - 11:53 PM

Mnesymone- Glad you liked it. Hey if you get a chance you should investigate the audio book thread, we still have a few parts open you know.

MC- That line is actually a reference to "The Big Lebowski" which is an excellent film. I figured you'd like it though. And you also get to do the emotional parting scene with Robear.

Laughlyn- Suikoden ranks with FF7 as greatest RPG ever. I'm really glad you noticed that ref. I had forgotten the random arrows though and never played the sequel.

Sime- Yep that was a CAD reference, but its Suikoden stuff as well so its a double reference!

Laughlyn- Yup, Grimeo. That was a ton of fucking work to get him back and it didnt even do much for the ending or game play. Ah well.

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.

#295 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

Posted 02 May 2005 - 12:05 AM

After editing Glamis I discovered that its actually 67 chapters long, I'd apparently numbered wrong. So you got two free bonus chapters!

#296 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

Posted 02 May 2005 - 10:07 PM

Jeebus! My numbering on Book 3 was off as well. It turns out I wrote 69 chapters of Glamis total. I think that when people see the finished book they're going to be very surprised, because to mee it seemed a bit shorter. I've also added a few things in. I havnt started on the index of references yet.

#297 User is offline   Helena Icon

• Basher Extraordinaire
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Current age: 22<br /><br />Current occupation: Auditor<br /><br />Interests: Reading, computer games, music, and Star Wars (obviously).<br /><br />Talents: Can't act, can't dance, can sing a little.<br /><br />Loves: Terry Pratchett's 'Discworld' series.<br /><br />Hates: Harry Potter. Surely I can't be the only one?

Posted 03 May 2005 - 05:44 AM

Finally finished it. Amazing work, J m! I love the ending as well. biggrin.gif
The sandpeople had women and children. We know this because Anakin killed them how could he tell? The children might be smaller but I never saw a sandperson with breasts. Did they hike their skirts and show him some leg or something?

Also, I can see the point of wanting to kidnap a human and use her as a slave, but they didn't. They tied her to a flimsy easel for a month. It's assumed they had to feed and give her water. What for? Was she purely ornamental? I can understand them wanting the droids, you can sell those for a lot of money, but a chick who's only skills are finding non-existand mushrooms and getting randomly pregnant, you're not going to get much.

- J m HofMarN on the Sand People

#298 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

Posted 03 May 2005 - 06:22 AM

Helena- That's really great to hear. I was worried that the ending would be weak and hurried since there wasnt much material left after Robear and SW died, but I'm glad it turned out well and made everyone happy, that's important to me and I'm really glad you had a good time reading.

#299 User is offline   Slade Icon

• Full of Bombs and/or Keys
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 05 May 2005 - 08:56 PM

I've finished it, and minus the senseless gnome violence I must put all five of my hats on and then take them off in your name. And now I go to edit.

*Shuffles off slowly, dragging a ball and chain attached to his neck behind him.*
This space for rent. Inquire within.

#300 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

Posted 05 May 2005 - 10:46 PM

Yar what the devil!? I thought I told you to oil that chain so it dosnt creak and interfere with the editing! For this you will... NARFLE THE GARFONK!

• (22 Pages)
  • +
  • « First

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size