• You cannot reply to this topic

Publishing stuff for fellow authors

#1 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

• Knows All The Girls Named Lola
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Tyranny

Posted 03 February 2005 - 06:12 PM

I thought since there are many here who seem to be novelists or writers or, (in Barend's case) are able to write at a fifth grade level at least (sorry just picking on you, no harm intended) That we aught to start a thread where we could talk about publishing, agents, and the various things opf the business. It kind of surprised me to know that someone here had actually had a book published and I was hoping that we could all try to share our knowledge.

For my part, my book is currently on review by Limitless Dare to Dream publishing in South Carolina. www.limitlessd2d.net is their website and I'd encourage those among you to investigate them. They're new, but they are a traditional royalty pating publisher and they do pay decent roualties and publish rather quickly after acceptance. If you feel your book would be good for them I can do what I can to talk to them.

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.
- Deucaon toes a hard line on gay fetus rights.

#2 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 03 February 2005 - 11:24 PM

I got my SASE'd postcard back the other day. smile.gif cross your fingers.

(for the fifth grade and under crowd. And their parents.)

#3 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

Posted 03 February 2005 - 11:33 PM

I'd never imagine you to be penning a children's book, Despondent. Is this part of some plot to corrupt the youth? I wish you all the best of luck naturally, regardless of whether the answer be yay or nay.

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.

#4 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself

Posted 04 February 2005 - 01:48 AM

Thanks, J m.

Actually the story touches on a very positive theme. I think you'll be pleased. People who've seen it take to it in a genuine way. Those whom I've measured a reaction anyway.

I'm passing the time getting subsequent projects ready. Thank God. The rough draft for the next effort exists so here we go again. tongue.gif And yes, there's a dog involved.

And I hope Your project follows successful, swift and complete.

This post has been edited by Despondent: 04 February 2005 - 02:18 AM

#5 User is offline   Madam Corvax Icon

• Buggy Purveyor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 February 2005 - 08:56 AM

Oh, they've changed 120 days to 4-5 months now, have they? Looks like guys have a lot of work to do. Anyway, you WILL eventually hear from them.

Gee, I still remember this sharp stab of disappointment when my book did not win the competition I was targeting it for. Went right through my heart. Hope you will be spared such experience.

#6 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself

Posted 04 February 2005 - 09:32 AM

Thank You, Madam Corvax. I think rejection letters are pretty much a certainty for first time authors. Not that I'm looking forward to one; I have other publishers in line.

A couple of times in my life before, I've been to the precipice where I'd be happy to walk away untested- and yet rose against the odds.

Great feeling, isn't it? That's what I'm shooting for. smile.gif (In the meantime, I'll attempt to approach humility.)

#7 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 06 February 2005 - 02:07 AM

Watch out for too much though. I find it kind of crippling when I can't bring myself to care about passing something. Best of luck with the book.
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#8 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself

Posted 06 February 2005 - 04:11 PM

Thanks, Sime. smile.gif

#9 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

Posted 08 February 2005 - 02:22 AM

Hey since we're all likely to see a lot of them I was thinking I'd post text from some of my rejection (and acceptance) slips here for all to gaze upon, I'll do that when I check my mail tomorrow.

#10 User is offline   Madam Corvax Icon

• Buggy Purveyor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 February 2005 - 09:32 AM

pinch.gif UUhg, JM, do you think it is a good idea? Unless, of course they are so hilarious and you have got over it a long time ago. My rejection slips are hardly a thing I enjoy reading twice. How about some acceptance slips?

#11 User is offline   Lord Aquaman Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Movies, comic books, some mythology... basically anything that's larger than life.

Posted 08 February 2005 - 03:25 PM

I'm really behind... I'm so caught up drafting one thing or another thing between college that I haven't even started looking for an agent to represent me.
I am the Fisher King.

I'd like a qui-gon jinn please with an obi-wan to go.

#12 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

Posted 08 February 2005 - 04:03 PM

Madam- I'd certainly encourage you to post them and be comfortable with them. Think of it as a game of chance, you can only be rejected so many times before you're accepted so the more rejections you get the better! (wow thats an incredibly otimistic idea) To deal with the paper rejection letters I get I actually form them into paper airplanes.

#13 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself

Posted 08 February 2005 - 04:24 PM

Lord Aquaman, I'd like to find an agent but I sent my first proposal out unagented. Maybe I'll send my next work to an agent. If I press ahead, I can have a proposal for the second work ready by the time publishing house number one replies.

I presume it would be in bad form to send a proposal to pub. house #2 of a work which is a follow-up to a proposal, which has not yet been withdrawn or approved by pub. house #1?

sigh. Guess I could work on book number three which would be something radically different. smile.gif

#14 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

Posted 08 February 2005 - 09:35 PM

Despondent- Send to publishers first. Agents cost you ten percent of your royalties so its a sound decision to try publishers first. And its very silly to only send to one at a time. You should send your book to as many publishers as possible as long as they accept simultaneous submissions.

#15 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself

Posted 08 February 2005 - 09:55 PM

J m, thanks for the tip.

But I respectfully disagree on it being silly to submit an exclusive submission. That's the standard among the Children's Book Writer's and Illustrator's Society anyway.

Multiple submissions earn their way to the bottom of the slush pile, and many editors rightfully frown upon having invested time and effort to be told it was sold already. So they're hesitant.

Yet, if I can crank out the proposals, I can market-test by submitting all ways possible with new material.

I look forward to the rejection selections.

ps, it is more acceptable to multi-submit when the subject material is of a timely manner, so that's worth knowing.

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic