Chefelf.com Night Life: Grand Theft Auto III - Chefelf.com Night Life

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Grand Theft Auto III I'm a little behind the times...

#1 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 01 January 2004 - 12:24 PM

I know I'm a little behind the times but I didn't own a PS2 until recently so I just got GTA3 and Vice City in November for the Xbox. Now I finally see what all the fuss was about these games. Though I haven't played Vice City yet I think GTA3 is probably one of the best games I've ever played.

The playability is nearly endless. There's at least aver 100 hours of gameplay there and more side missions and fun things to do than you normally get in any other 10 games combined.

I just wanted to see what others thought about the games.
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#2 User is offline   Heccubus Icon

• Ugh.
  • Group: Head Moderator

Posted 01 January 2004 - 03:37 PM

I have a deep undying love for GTA3, but I can no longer stand the fact that EVERY game that is coming out has the words "The next Grand Thef Auto?" in previews, or "So-and-so's Grand Theft Auto Killer!". It's ridiculous. Examples of such titles? "The Getaway" (terrible), "Driver 3" (not looking too amazing), and games that claim to take "elements" of GTA's gameplay, like "Jak 2" or "Tony Hawk's Underground". It's getting out of hand. Plus Vice City was just plain disappointing.

#3 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan

Posted 01 January 2004 - 05:18 PM

I agree. They do the same thing with Halo. Every FPS that comes out claims to be "The Next Halo". That is a pretty big claim. Brute Force was the biggest offender. That game was not only NOT the next Halo but barely a fun game. Games bring it on themselves when they beg to be compared to the greatest games of all time. It's much easier to fall short of expectations that way.

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#4 User is offline   Heccubus Icon

• Ugh.

Posted 01 January 2004 - 09:50 PM

You make a good point. I sort of predicted Brute Force falling short. It just looked like it had nothing to offer, aside from being yet another third person shooter (because there just aren't enough of those, gosh darn it!). If I got involved in the video game industry, I would be perfectly content working for a company that worked with original ideas, and attempted to develop new methods of attaining certain effects in gameplay (example: Konami taking risks with Metal Gear Solid in 1997. Who would've thought that so many North American gamers would be interested in avoiding firefights, rather than lunging into battle with guns blazing?). It's still nice to see Rockstar pushing the boundaries, though. Their new game "Manhunt" is apparently quite good, and it looks like it will push the boundaries of acceptable in-game content once again.

#5 User is offline   Reader Icon

• More Important than Coal
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Validating
  • Interests:oh, this and that

Posted 01 January 2004 - 10:05 PM

QUOTE (Heccubus @ Jan 1 2004, 09:50 PM)
Their new game "Manhunt" is apparently quite good, and it looks like it will push the boundaries of acceptable in-game content once again.

I wish they'd stop being crusaders for this kind of thing. They make superb, fine specimens of games... i wonder if they realize the brutal violence doesn't add, nor detract from a games overall awesomeness.
"Nothing is real, all is permitted"
- Hassan i Sabbah
"There's nothing wrong with anything."
- Philip J.Fry

#6 User is offline   Heccubus Icon

• Ugh.

Posted 01 January 2004 - 11:08 PM

That wasn't my point. My point was that it's good to see a developer out there that isn't afraid to bend the rules a bit and push the boundaries of acceptable content in video games. I can get by without brutal violence in games, but in cases like Rockstar's recent efforts, it usually adds to the game's "gritty" atmosphere.

#7 User is offline   Reader Icon

• More Important than Coal
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Validating
  • Interests:oh, this and that

Posted 01 January 2004 - 11:32 PM

i know you weren't making a point. i was just making one of my own.

yes, violence can be used effectively in games, there's no doubt. but still...
"Nothing is real, all is permitted"
- Hassan i Sabbah
"There's nothing wrong with anything."
- Philip J.Fry

#8 User is offline   sinister grinner Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 02 January 2004 - 08:40 PM

violence is not at all neccessary. but their are peopler who really beating up hookers. about grand theft auto. you see i think it's funner to watch someone else play it than to actually play it. they have a game called spy fiction that im waiting for. but why do they always say, "the next halo" (technically the next halo would be a sequel to the first one.) or "gta type gameplay." GTA III, is kinda like a 3d platformer without jumping. you walk around and shoot people.
Thirteen and a half.
Twelve jurors,
one judge,
and half a chance.

#9 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan

Posted 03 January 2004 - 10:26 AM

I think that the GTA games, while containing violence, are much more engrossing for other reasons. The complexity of the world you are in and they way you can interact with it is the real appeal. Grand Theft Auto and Mario 64 are two of my favorite games and both for the same reason. On the surface you couldn't imagine two games that are more different but underneath they are so very similar. They both contain huge worlds to explore, missions to complete, objects to collect and ways to improve your character.

I don't really care if I'm shooting some cartel members or riding a koopa shell. If the game gives me an interesting, unique and highly replayable gaming experience then I'm going to buy it. Period.

#10 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 03 January 2004 - 10:34 AM

Mario 64 was great. That game was the first true 3d console game. Well done 3d that is.

I don't really care if I'm shooting some cartel members or riding a koopa shell. If the game gives me an interesting, unique and highly replayable gaming experience then I'm going to buy it. Period.

Chef but what if you become some cartel member. Think about it. That game can make you evil incarnate. I played it once and had this unhealthy urge to deal cocaine down south.
Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#11 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan

Posted 03 January 2004 - 10:38 AM

Mario 64 may just be one of my all time favorite games. It's, at the very least, in the top five. It's one of those games that you forget how revolutionary and great it was because so many games have modelled themselves on it since.

You have to remember that for the longest time that was the ONLY game for the N64. Nintendo's huge release blunder made it so that for six months that was the only game for the system (I'm not including the other game Pilot Wings because it just sucked too much. It takes a pretty amazing game to carry a system for that long. I sure as hell spent six months playing it.

I was actually sad when I completed Mario 64. I went through and just kept playing and eventually just started over.

Chef but what if you become some cartel member. Think about it. That game can make you evil incarnate. I played it once and had this unhealthy urge to deal cocaine down south.

I must admit that I have had some rather unhealthy urges while driving around. I'm tempted to pass people by jumping up on the curb and cutting through people's yards and such.

#12 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 January 2004 - 02:07 PM

Pilot wings was boring has hell! One game that really got me hooked was Wave Race. My friends and I wore down the joystick on the controller from playing. Grey plastic residue was forming around the well that held the joystick. I remember worrying about the stick actaully just breaking off from excessive use.

I could never understand why Nintendo did not make sequels to Wave Race and Mario 64. Both games got stellar reviews and saved the launch of that machine. One game that was fun but FAR TO EASY was Star Fox 64. That is the only game that I have bought and beaten with in the first hour of playing. I sat on the floor with controller in hand totally shocked. I then found out that there is more then one route to beat the game, however these routes still possed no challenge. Great graphics, gameplay, but to damn easy.
Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#13 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan

Posted 04 January 2004 - 10:49 AM

Wave Race was amazing. My friends and I got those scores so high that it became impossible to place on any board. They did make a sequel for the GameCube. I haven't played it yet. My thumb still has a permanent imprint from the N64 analog stick.

I played the hell out of Star Fox and I agree that is was far too easy. I could probably do the first level blindfolded. I used to have that game at work and while I was waiting for clients (which was how I spent a lot of time) I would play that game. It got to the point where I could beat the game in about 40 minutes. The thing that killed me was that Paul beat the game once and had the high score. I played and beat the game at least 20-30 times after that and have yet to remove his high score from the cartridge.

#14 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 January 2004 - 01:09 PM

Wave Race was amazing. My friends and I got those scores so high that it became impossible to place on any board.

YES! Dolphin Park, I placed such a ridiculous high score on that level that no one could touch it! I remember the secret was side ways front flips. My pal murdered Glacier Park, he would pull like 10 360's back to back lieing sideways on the ice flats.

We played that game none stop. One of the most enjoyable video game experiences I had was being snowed in my house with 4 friends. We played video games till we passed out for 3 days straight.

#15 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan

Posted 04 January 2004 - 01:21 PM

My secret on Glacier Park was doing the three flips at the beginning and then turning around before I hit the checkpoint and doing them again. That racked up a lot of points.

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size