Star Wars Fan Convention

• (2 Pages)
  • +

A New Hope NitPick adsf

#1 User is offline   givereprovermoney Icon

• New Cop
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 22 January 2005 - 04:35 PM

You missed one thing on the A New Hope nitpick list, which also applies to Return of the Jedi:

The rings that come out of the death star and alderan explosion cannot happen. The reason crap on earth explodes rings is because gravity pulls all the debris close to the surface. There isnt much gravity in space, unless they built the death star with a post-explosion equatorial gravity field mechanism. WHICH ARENT INVENTED UNTIL EPISODE IX!!!!

#2 User is offline   not this crude matter Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip
  • Group: Former Members

Posted 23 January 2005 - 02:04 AM

Heres another nitpick. Did you konw lightsabers cannot really even exist? It would be impossible to stop the length of the laser coming out at a certain point. Also there is no sound in space which means all those explosions and laser blasts you hear could not of happened. And don't even get me started on the force...a mystical energy field that exist in all liveing things, please mellow.gif

#3 User is offline   Lord Aquaman Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Movies, comic books, some mythology... basically anything that's larger than life.

Posted 23 January 2005 - 02:27 AM

QUOTE (not this crude matter @ Jan 23 2005, 12:04 AM)
And don't even get me started on the force...a mystical energy field that exist in all liveing things, please mellow.gif

Are you suggesting that it's okay then for Lucas to have created that midichlorian crap?

I think that following the ring in the super special edition of ANH you see a big blue hue surrounding all the bright lights.
I am the Fisher King.

I'd like a qui-gon jinn please with an obi-wan to go.

#4 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 23 January 2005 - 10:42 AM

I hate those damn rings! :angry:

on an old Simpson's reel, I've a pepsi commercial from the 1997 SE releases. They show an audience cheering as the DS explodes and the power-rings emerge. Now seriously, who would get all excited over what they've seen before (yet there's something oddly different rolleyes.gif )

ROTJ pandering to the masses creeps back in. Sauron is growing stronger...

#5 User is offline   not this crude matter Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 23 January 2005 - 11:03 AM

QUOTE (Lord Aquaman @ Jan 23 2005, 02:27 AM)
Are you suggesting that it's okay then for Lucas to have created that midichlorian crap?

I think that following the ring in the super special edition of ANH you see a big blue hue surrounding all the bright lights.

Im just saying that this guy is trying to put real life physics into SW and bash it so I was just being sarcastic and listing some things in ANH that can't happen in real life besides the ring mentioned above.

#6 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • Group: Admin

Posted 23 January 2005 - 11:16 AM

I'll admit that real life physics can't be necessarily applied. Some disbelief has to be suspended in order to truly enjoy the movies.

The "Praxis" rings are just sorta dumb because they're just put in to look cool.

As for the gravity thing, ther eisn't much gravity in space, however, a giant body such as the Death Star or a Planet would certainly have a gravity all its own.

I dunno. I'm more annoyed with the intended flashiness of it all than the actual physics of it all. If we all nitpicked real life physics there would be no way to ever enjoy any science fiction.
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#7 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 23 January 2005 - 01:40 PM

Umm, guys, I think the creator of this thread was just playing around. He was either being cute, or indirectly calling us nitpicking losers with no lives. I found that this form of mockery is really popular among gushers. They'll blow something way out of context and play devil's advocate. Then at the end staple on a "you have no life". sleeping.gif

unless they built the death star with a post-explosion equatorial gravity field mechanism. WHICH ARENT INVENTED UNTIL EPISODE IX!!!!

This is what gave it away. It's the punch line of his joke. Post-explosion equatorial gravity field mechanisim? This is his way of saying "you're a loser".

Further proof: No thought in his user name and the sub title for this topic is the ever so clever "adsf". 1 post. We'll never seen this goof again. It was a hit and run.

My advice, burn this post to the floor.

This post has been edited by Jordan: 23 January 2005 - 01:53 PM

Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#8 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself

Posted 23 January 2005 - 08:34 PM

Like the smouldering skeletons of Beru and Owen.

CORPSES DON'T BURN THAT QUICKLY, PEOPLE!

#9 User is offline   jariten Icon

• making the nature scene
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 January 2005 - 11:25 PM

It strikes me as odd that some people can accept, say, noise in space (impossible) but then refuse the explosion rings (also impossible).

#10 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself

Posted 24 January 2005 - 01:34 AM

I don't hate the shock rings because they're impossible.

I hate them because they are a cheap stunt, and tacked-on glitter which cries "Love Me, I'm Lucas!"

#11 User is offline   HK 47 Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 January 2005 - 04:48 AM

Exactly. There must be a million ways to beef up an explosion or make it more interesting and Lucas just has to choose the "Praxis effect". Unimaginative rip-off, from Star Trek no less.

#12 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • Group: Admin

Posted 24 January 2005 - 09:22 AM

QUOTE (HK 47 @ Jan 24 2005, 04:48 AM)
Exactly. There must be a million ways to beef up an explosion or make it more interesting and Lucas just has to choose the "Praxis effect". Unimaginative rip-off, from Star Trek no less.

Or, more likely, just some recycled ILM effects.
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#13 User is offline   HK 47 Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 January 2005 - 09:41 AM

Or, more likely, just some recycled ILM effects.

"Budget constraints on the SEs forced Lucas to recycle stock footage"
I kinda like that headline... devil.gif

#14 User is offline   not this crude matter Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 24 January 2005 - 06:35 PM

Well aside from you guys, I don't think joe average is gonna get pissed while watching ANH and chant death to lucas because in his new special edition set there is a praxis effect. Actually, unless your die hard geeks like us he won't even notice.

#15 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself

Posted 24 January 2005 - 06:54 PM

Most of us guys aren't Joe Average. cool.gif

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size