• +

POST EDITING

#1 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 24 January 2005 - 11:02 AM

Dear Nate,

I wondered if we could perhaps be given the ability to edit all of our posts again, like we used to be able to. I realise you took that away from us for a reason but I think most of us wouldn't abuse the system ~ and for users like myself, it'd be most useful.

I could delete repeating posts in the Screening Room and take back hurtful comments to other users. I'd really like to have the ability to edit our posts back.

Perhaps, if you're not comfortable with the idea, you could give back our editing rights on a one-weeki trial basis.

What do you think?

- Movie Goer

#2 User is offline   Chyld Icon

• Ancient Monstrosity
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team

Posted 24 January 2005 - 11:40 AM

I second that. As far as I can tell, the deluge of prequal-loving 14-year olds editing their posts to invalidate peoples arguements have gone, and if they return, there's always the trusty "Ban" button.
When you lose your calm, you feed your anger.

Less Is More v4
Now resigned to a readership of me, my cat and some fish

#3 User is offline   Dr Lecter Icon

• Almighty God Of All Morals
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 January 2005 - 11:51 AM

Hehe I have to admit I did that in the "Q & A Session" thing, but it just made it read funnier ph34r.gif

#4 User is offline   Laura Icon

• Brother Redcloud
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Interests:gnome habits

Posted 24 January 2005 - 05:04 PM

I think people should be accountable for the things they say.

Heaven knows I say some stupid things that I maybe ought to have thought twice about, but you can't just pretend you never said them.

I do edit my posts often, but only when I immediately notice I've made a stupid mistake (almost always responding to the last post on page 1 without noticing that there is a second whole page of posts). (Also, in this post, where I immediately clicked "edit" to add another thought rather than post a second entry.)

But I think if you realize a day later that you should have been more tactful to another user, the damage is done. Changing your post won't take back what you said; it won't keep people from ever having seen it. It will only confuse later readers as to what went down. Maybe the best solution for that is to take a breather and think, before you post, about whether this is really what you want to say.

I should do this too. It's hard to remember to do it when you're upset and the "post" button is RIGHT THERE. I think it's important to be able to do, though-- and ahead of time, not after the fact.

This post has been edited by Laura: 24 January 2005 - 05:09 PM

#5 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 24 January 2005 - 05:48 PM

Hey, remember that time I said people with AIDS deserve it? Boy did that not fly~

I had no idea how incompassionate my post was, that is until every on at L&E told me otherwise. In a sense, it helped me be more tactiful in my posts.

I'm not very compassionate by nature. I find it hard to 'feel' for other people. I think a lot of people are in my shoes, they just bullshit and say "oh that's terrible, I'm so sorry". It's almost automated at times. But really, do you care that millions in africa are dieing of AIDS? Does it honestly move your heart? Fuck, see I'm going off on a rant. What I'm trying to say is I'm incapable of feeling for people I don't know/see/hear. It's a problem of mine. And it gets me into trouble with other people, but if I said it, then I should stick by it or apoligize if I feel bad about it.

I think the vanishing edit button is a good idea. But maybe increase the time of it's existence by about 10 minutes or so.

This post has been edited by Jordan: 24 January 2005 - 05:51 PM

Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#6 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -

Posted 24 January 2005 - 07:00 PM

Well I'd still really like it. And I promise I wouldn't abuse the system.

#7 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 24 January 2005 - 07:35 PM

I find it impossible to comprehend the magnitude of the AIDS epidemic, so I can't feel it. If I knew one person still living who suffered with AIDS, and if that person was never offered any treatment because our country was too mired in debt and war to worry about him or her, then I would consider it a tragedy.

But no, I can't say I think anyone DESERVES the disease, apart from people I know and don't like, who, sadly, are AIDS-free.

devil.gif innocent.gif
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#8 User is offline   Hannibal Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Former Members

Posted 24 January 2005 - 08:20 PM

I believe george lucas has already shown us the true meaning of re-editing.

continue with the ban please.
"Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities also has the power to make you commit atrocities."
~ Voltaire (1694-1778)

Enjoy this Tribute to Nazism...(Mp3)

#9 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • Group: Admin

Posted 24 January 2005 - 08:48 PM

Regarding Editing Nasty Posts:

The whole reason for the edit restriction stems from abuse. While I understand people's reasons for wanting it, I think that the abuse it has received just makes it impossible to bring back.

Laura summed it up best in her post. If Member A says some nasty things and then Member B responds angrily, Member A has the option to edit their post to make it more mild or remove the offensive text all together. This makes Member B look like the bad guy when that just may not be the case.

It happened a bunch of times and I don't think it's fair to the people who respond. The reason it was removed is to make people more accountable for their posts, to perhaps think before they post some snippy response.

If you want to post something bitchy/argumentative/etc. that's your option, however you must be prepared to deal with whatever rebuttals may come.

Regarding Screening Room Editing:

I certainly don't want to keep anyone from displaying anything they'd like here, but you would probably be best served to get your own webspace. I provided the Screening Room forum for anyone who wishes to share their work in any form, be it images, writings, etc. However, there's no reason you couldn't host these things on your own and simply link to them in the screening room. This would allow you full control over your content and the forum could still be provided as a way of discussing/critiquing/plugging your work. biggrin.gif

By all means, continue to use the Screening Room if you wish -- that's what it's there for -- but there are a million options for free hosting out there. If it's better editing control of your work that you want then the best way would be through your own website. I would encourage anyone to start a website for their own work. It's really the best way to have editing and aesthetic control over your content. Why be constricted by the confinements of the forum convention when you could be free to do whatever you want? smile.gif

If anyone needs any HTML advice, places to go for hosting, etc. I'd be happy to answer anyone's questions on the subject if I can. smile.gif

In Conclusion...

All that having been said, if you would like to edit a post in the Screening Room then PM a moderator and ask them to make the edit.

Also, if you have said something you regret then PM a moderator and they will remove/close the topic in question if they deem it appropriate. smile.gif

I'd be happy to answer any other ideas or questions on the matter. smile.gif
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#10 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -

Posted 25 January 2005 - 12:06 AM

Thanks, mate.

#11 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 27 January 2005 - 03:55 AM

suggestion...

i don't think all threads that get get closed should be removed...

(there's some quality material of mine (and others) lost to the ages)

those who forget the mistakes of the past are doomed to repeat it...
those who forget the pisstakes of barend are doomed to delete it...

#12 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • Group: Admin

Posted 27 January 2005 - 09:41 AM

QUOTE (barend @ Jan 27 2005, 03:55 AM)
suggestion...

i don't think all threads that get get closed should be removed...

(there's some quality material of mine (and others) lost to the ages)

those who forget the mistakes of the past are doomed to repeat it...
those who forget the pisstakes of barend are doomed to delete it...

Can you explain? I'm not sure I understand. smile.gif
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#13 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 27 January 2005 - 05:57 PM

i mean... don't remove all closed threads from sight... let them hang.
unless they're overlly offensive... and stupid.

there is some funny banter on some of those lost threads...

#14 User is offline   Dr Lecter Icon

• Almighty God Of All Morals
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 January 2005 - 12:05 PM

Some anti-godlike figure bless stupid posts

This post has been edited by Dr Lecter: 30 January 2005 - 12:06 PM

#15 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 30 January 2005 - 01:01 PM

While I am no big fan of doublethink*, I figure the reason behind closing a thread is that it has gotten out of hand, generally personal. A few have been closed because they got irrelevant, such as "Should there be a STAR WARS forum?" But a good many others were closed due to personal attacks.

That said, I figure no matter when you close a thread like that, you're giving someone the last word, and you're leaving all the inflammatory junk there for people to mine when starting new threads. So "closing" threads wouldn't stop anyone from copying and pasting and starting flame wars elsewhere.

Very few threads have been moved out of sight, so I don't think the power has been abused. I figure so far Chef has been right to remove what he has removed: if you don't want anyone adding to it, you probably don't want anyone reading it neither.

But that's just one man's opinion.

*I am a bit of a fan, just no big fan.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size