• (2 Pages)
  • +

Better than Life? Wednesday, January 19, 2005

#1 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 19 January 2005 - 12:54 PM

I'm wrapping up two days off of work and, I must say, it's been a very productive span for me. I ate, showered, got a new job, bought a flat panel TV, wrote a novel, had three kids... wait a second... wait a second...

Nope. That was The Sims 2. In reality I have become gaunt and jaundiced. The only thing keeping me alive has been the package of stale crackers that just happened to be right by my computer. I have ignored my most basic needs of hunger and personal hygiene. I'm unshaven, sickly and depressed. Depressed that I've completely wasted the lion's share of two days. TWO whole days! Gone.

When I woke up this morning, I dragged my achy body over to my computer and fired the game up again out of instinct. After two hours of real time (which usually feels like somewhere between 5-10 minutes) I realized that I was no longer having any fun. My body had become nothing more than the custodian to the half dozen families I was playing and maintaining in the game. They were all doing quite well.

I wanted to stop, but I couldn't. Each mouse click opens a whole new series of tasks that need to be performed. I must have Nebuchadnezzar flirt with Marissa and gain +500 aspiration points. I must spend a couple of hours practicing speech in the mirror to gain the charisma points needed to get that promotion at work. I must, I must...

I must STOP! Why can't I stop? This is the same thing that happened five years ago when I played the original Sims game. It starts off well enough as a fun diversion. Then it becomes a fun, endless obsession. Then it controls your every waking hour until you realize you are tired and sick but you still can't stop. You have so many plans! There are new Sims to create, additions needed to be put on houses, money to be made!

Somebody help me... please...
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#2 User is offline   Jen Icon

• Mrs. Chefelf
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Being Chefelf's girlfriend has been an interest of mine for some time now. I also enjoy am interested in packing, unpacking, and organizing acres of cardboard boxes into a livable structure.

Posted 19 January 2005 - 01:29 PM

He's even started to talk like he's in the Sims 2. He gave me a hug the other day, and said, "Luhbuhduh Vuduhduh," in that cloying babytalk voice the Sims use. And then he said, "Right now I have two little pluses revolving above my head."

Freaky!

#3 User is offline   Laura Icon

• Brother Redcloud
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Interests:gnome habits

Posted 19 January 2005 - 01:43 PM

Don't worry, if it is just like last time, you know how it will play out. You will be obsessed for several days. Then you will become disgusted and stop cold turkey, perhaps even uninstalling the game. For the next six months you will neither play nor have the desire to do so.

Then the cycle begins anew, but it's at least less obsessive when you're used to the game. The most dangerous period is when the Sims keep doing things that you've never seen before, giving the illusion of life. After awhile, though, the patterns and limitations are revealed, and you know exactly how many times you need to talk to Josie Pussycat or Elizabeth Bennet in order to woo her, and exactly how many times you need to insult Mortimer Goth before he cries.

#4 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan

Posted 19 January 2005 - 02:06 PM

Jen, we need to invite Paul and Caolan over tonight or they will no longer be family friends!!

Laura, you are right. However, have you played The Sims 2 yet? The amount of new gameplay options is NEVER ENDING! There are just too many things to do. Paul had a great woman who slept with everyone in town and then painted a picture of them in her bed when she was done and hung them all on her walls as trophies.

I wish I'd thought of that one.

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#5 User is offline   Laura Icon

• Brother Redcloud
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:gnome habits

Posted 19 January 2005 - 02:14 PM

I have not yet played the Sims 2 but I imagine it is all I will do when I visit Paul and Caolan.

#6 User is offline   Chyld Icon

• Ancient Monstrosity
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team

Posted 19 January 2005 - 04:44 PM

This is why I'm staying the hell away from Numero Two.

...that, and my laptop being too old and crappy to run it sad.gif
When you lose your calm, you feed your anger.

Less Is More v4
Now resigned to a readership of me, my cat and some fish

#7 User is offline   Kirby Icon

• Zzzz
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Geeking out and nerding it up.

Posted 19 January 2005 - 09:12 PM

Oh yes, I am also part of the Sims 2 collective, I feel for ya. I though I stoped but then I saw this:

Do Not Enter If You're In the Sims 12 Step Program

Now I'm making more and more families to prepare for the *DUM DUM DUM* NEXT EXPANSION

People tell you to say no to crack, but they never tell you about The Sims.

This post has been edited by Chefelf: 20 January 2005 - 11:13 AM

The Power of Christ Impales You!
- Tagline for Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter

You've read it, you can't un-read it. Stay tooned for more
TALES OF INTEREST.
I like to be part of the crowd so I want to say that Icey is the best guy ever

#8 User is offline   Kirby Icon

• Zzzz
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Geeking out and nerding it up.

Posted 19 January 2005 - 11:46 PM

Damn link problems could you fix the edit button for me... Pretty please?
The Power of Christ Impales You!
- Tagline for Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter

You've read it, you can't un-read it. Stay tooned for more
TALES OF INTEREST.
I like to be part of the crowd so I want to say that Icey is the best guy ever

#9 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 20 January 2005 - 01:27 AM

DO what I do in times of addiction. There will come a small window of oppurtunity when you hate the game, this may last any where between 1 and 5 minutes. It usually occurs right after you've spend 3/4's or your day playing in a dark room. At this time, with out hesitation, take the CD out of the ROM and put it in a box of some sort. With great haste, run back to your computer and erase the game from your hardrive. If you're so inclined, create a back up file of your saved games.

After that, just fight the temptation. In time, you'll grow too lazy to both open up the box that stores your game, walk to your cpu, and sit through the installation process.

It works well for me. Take care and eat well.

This post has been edited by Jordan: 20 January 2005 - 01:28 AM

Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#10 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan

Posted 20 January 2005 - 11:19 AM

I'm just not ready for the next expansion pack. There is so much to do with the game as it is. And it's coming out in a month's time!

I think I will elect to not purchase the first expansion pack. Too much time spent already with this damn game. It's just so much damn fun!

From a gameplay perspective this game is an amazing sequel. I can't believe how many hours of gameplay you could get out of this game. It's a steal at $40 USD.

#11 User is offline   Lefty Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Redcloud Collective

Posted 21 January 2005 - 04:32 PM

two words:

"Leave the ****ing CD at your parents' house after a visit, & never bring it back"

That's why I'm not up til 5am playing "Masters of Orion II" anymore...on a WEEKNIGHT.

#12 User is offline   Jane Sherwood Icon

• Hello Master
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Far too many to list in this tiny space...

Posted 21 January 2005 - 09:30 PM

That was fifteen words, and a little symbol.

I used to have The Addiction, but I'm happy to say that I haven't played or even had the urge to play The Sims in about two years. How? A very crappy computer, and a great deal of impatience. The game would always take about a half an hour just to load up, only to then move at less than a snail’s pace and randomly crash without warning - and that was just the original! Now imagine that, plus five expansion packs and hundreds upon hundreds of extra skins downloaded into it!

Needless to say, I'd rather whack myself in the head with a mallet repeatedly than touch that game again...
Check out my crappy drawings!

Chyld is an ignorant slut.

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space; I'm a loony, for God's sake!"
- Campbell Bean (David Tennant), Takin' Over the Asylum, 1994
XD

#13 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 23 January 2005 - 06:53 AM

Jane is right, I'm experiencing that sort of pain right now. HEY HEY. I need a better cpu to play Rome Total war, and Chef needs a lesser CPU to counter his addiction. I see two people who can help eachother out.

Chef, send me your RAM, MotherBoard, and Video Card. In return you can have my 4 year old equivalencies. My RAM is RAMBUS, I know that will kill your SIMS experiece in about 13 seconds of playing. What say you man? Trade?
Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#14 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 January 2005 - 10:21 AM

Yay, I can post!

I have banned myself from playing the Sims, for I know the danger that lies within.
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#15 User is offline   Cemetery guy Icon

• Chefelf's Dad
  • Pip
  • Group: Redcloud Collective

Posted 25 January 2005 - 08:27 PM

[quote=Lefty,Jan 21 2005, 04:32 PM]
two words:

"Leave the ****ing CD at your parents' house after a visit, & never bring it back"

That would seem fair, since Chefelf left most of everything he didn't need in NY in our basement, what is one more little computer game.

I also have two words YARD SALE

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size