• (4 Pages)
  • +

Fallen Where in Icey gets all serious on you

#16 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 20 January 2005 - 06:50 PM

A good second installment. These are an interesting crew of characters you've got here. I look forward to seeing what they get up to next. Good job.

#17 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 20 January 2005 - 07:48 PM

Excellent work, like a Jedi Master wink.gif
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#18 User is offline   Icey Icon

• n00b
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Being infested by parasites. Fighting members of the Kennedy family, kidnapping the President's daughter. Moaning.<br />

Posted 21 January 2005 - 02:54 AM

Ohhh thank you both very much!

This is the first time in a long time when looking back at what I've written just a day after I wrote it and I didn't find it utter shit. Even though certain parts were rewritten a bazillion times in hindsight before I finally let them through. The next part is in the works and it will undubiably be finished today.

My time.

#19 User is offline   Icey Icon

• n00b
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Being infested by parasites. Fighting members of the Kennedy family, kidnapping the President's daughter. Moaning.<br />

Posted 21 January 2005 - 01:42 PM

Warning, this part is far more voilent than the previous ones and does get very sick.

I guess Gabe and me knew the rest of the advisors the best. We had gone on most of the recruiting missions and due to our status we socialized and befriended most of them. Gabe's reasons I do not know, but mine were always honest. There were no advisors hired that were not good men to have by your side. Even Masquarade who is our greatest man at hiding his face, is someone I believe does not have it in him to betray those who know the man behind the masks.
It's not a luxury he is willing to give up. Likewise I do not think he would ever forgive or let go of anyone within his circle of trust that would stab him in the back. He has tormented people in horrible ways, leaving them as something else entirely. Sometimes like horrible abominations, sometimes like Ash.
My track of thought was broken when Ash spoke out, "I'm going to rip their liver out with my bare hands."
"Why did you say that just now?" Patric asked, stepping out of the way of a lamp post.
"Being idle. Fucks up my head." Ash simply said, keeping his eyes down on the half a dozen of feet in front of his feet. He was talking about remnants of the napalm induced flames, sleeping in his dark and empty heart. It was not a topic any of us had conversed about before. I had kept tabs on him and done my research though.
"I bet you don't watch a lot of television then." Patric replied innocently.
Ash looked at Patric, his eyes a deep pit of sorrow. "I did watch TV, a lot of it before I moved into the tower."
Patric's facial exp​ression changed completely, inro confusion and awkwardness. "What happened?" Masquarade chimed in.
"I burnt them down." Ash said and stopped on the middle of the sidewalk. He raised his face and looked straight at Masquarade's bonewhite mask. "I just wanted to go where I belong with my family, I missed the train in the army, I missed the train while my house burnt down. I missed the train as I watched the flames encircle the closet where my daughter was hiding untill her crying died out. I missed the train while my wife tried to loosen up the ropes as the flames ate away her flesh. They all got on but me."
Ash was on his knees at this point holding the upper half of his body up with his hands. A single tear fell to the ground.
Doing research never prepares you for the shadows of the heart. Masquarade squatted and reached out his hands and took Ash's arm helping him stand up again. "The ticketmaster will let you onboard when you outrun fate. Untill then you can only run like the rest of us." He pulled out a hankerchief for Ash to dry his eyes with. "Ash you have a redeeming quality we lack. It may often be dormant or weaker than the endless temptations, but treasure it for the train."
"Thank you, you are a true friend." Ash said as his hands toyed with the hanky.
"I've let you in on my internal masquarade, you are few and are better than any treasure. My support is a selfish act, but an honest one." His words stung none of us, being good was not in our dark hearts.
"It's our only chance at redemption." Patric said and we resumed our walk.

This revelation of the death of Ash's family answered many things about his persona. It raised far too many questions.
Whenever some disaster struck, he came out alive without a scratch. Or that's what's easy to swallow. His heart and mind were dark places where no one should need to trek. Yet Ash occupied these places. Held captive by the cruel and twisted force that made his personal hells. Were I a better creature, I would pity him.
"In what state do you expect our quarters to be in?" Patric asked me.
"Empty or worse."
"Worse?"
"New tenants already." I answered him. I despised the thought of someone else using my haven as their home. One forms a special bond to his home that is bordering on the divine.
"Someone would suffer if that would happen." Patric said with ice in his voice.
I looked at him and raised my eyebrows. "We would, we have and we will."
He sighed and looked down upon his feet, "aye. There is only one thing we are capable of."
"War" we said in unison.
Ash gave us a forced smile, the humanity under the all the taint shone through. It was more than the three of us had. A part of me felt envied his humanity, the rest of me was relieved that there was none to be found within me.
"Wouldn't it just been easier to fire us than throwing us in the looney bin?" Masquarade wondered aloud.
"The message isn't as strong, and he has the symbolism is great." Patric answered in a very teacher like manner. "everyone of us will easily get the picture, and the symbolism pretty much tells you that our minds are diseased ones of no value."
Masquarade chuckled, "I wouldn't say our sick psyches are valueless. Or the wrong group got sent in. The irony of this, is certainly worth the life of a working class stiff or two."
I smirked, "you value a laugh over human lives?"
He reached out his arms and took a large step forward, very theatrically. "It is far from my greatest sin Lightbringer, it does not even muster a shadow upon your sparkling name. Never mind the little bits hidden within your light."
I have brought pain, misery and death to more people than live in this city and Masquarade has always enjoyed that part of my name. Lightbringer. He jokes about that it is I that cast the light that forms the shadow of death. The light no one sees. The light that is blocked by only death himself. I have never taken great pleasure from it, nor have I ever felt bad about it. Death was simply my job. Now death is something else entirely. Something personal and very real.
"We are almost there." Patric said, looking above the nearby buildings we saw it was very near. The first couple of stepping stones were behind us but our path reached past the horizon. "They'll be expecting someone, even if the others haven't already been here."
"They'll be far more eager to see us if something stupid has been done." Ash said, "we'll be able to tell from stained carpets and wallpaper."
"But it is something we must do." I said, thinking to my new pistol silently sleeping within my jacket "so we can go on and continue down the path of destruction. There will be no good deeds nor intentions."
"Will you shine light upon our path?" Masquarade mused and his smile reached both his ears. Ash and Patric looked at me waiting for an answer.
"I'll shine when the time comes." I answered them, "brighter than ever."

#20 User is offline   Icey Icon

• n00b
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 January 2005 - 01:44 PM

The tower stood across the street, like a great spear reaching for the sun. We crossed the street, traffic whistling by us as we crossed the road. We all knew we would not get to see mister Bigg. Security would turn us into pulp long before we would realise it, and that was not how Ash is meant to go.
We entered the lobby, tall dark reflective walls surrounded us at all sides and as always old Bertha sat at the reception. A fiery red head in her early thirties, she was a bomb shell in every sense of the word and was one of the few that did not have their hearts dried up by working for mister Bigg. I approached her with a smile upon my face. "Bertha, will you let us on the elevator so we can check into our quarters?"
She looked sympatheticly at me and shook her head. "Sorry Lightbringer, orders from upstair. None of the Advisors but Gabe, Bite, the Count and Odyseus are to be allowed up." Those were the yes men.
"We will merely check in and out of our quarters, nothing else. Surely you are willing to let us slide through."
"Guys, I can't afford losing this job. I can't let you past."
I looked at her darkly, staring into her eyes. "We must get in, do not make me mess up my suit."
She stood up from her chair, grabbed her gun and pointed it at my head. "Get back you selfish pig. Who says something like that."
I didn't break my stare for a second, "those with no good left in them."
That said I backed away and waited for her to let the gun back to her belt. The moment she did, I jumped. I landed on the table and tried to kick her, she dodged my kick easily and once more reached for her gun. Snapping my leg back I caught her arm, sending her gun flying across the floor. Bertha countered my kick with a kick of her own. Striking my standing leg I went flying down to the floor with a bang. Ash and Patric came a moment later to my help, jumping over the desk, teaming up on old Bertha. Looking to my side, I saw that Masquarade had collected the gun. I got back to my feet and watched the fight behind the desk. Ash grabbed her under the arms and held her back while Patric let his fists do the talking, busting up her pretty face and making a mess of her internal organs. Ash threw her to the floor and shortly thereafter Bertha rid herself of a bloody mess orally.
For Patric, it was better than chocolate. Security arrived, and we did the opposite. It hadn't been a waste of time, we tried untill we hit lions we would not be able to slay and for me it was a good bye as good as any. More pleasant one than Bertha's good bye to her health.
And again we started walking the streets. Without a destination but a path visible to us all.

"We need a place to sleep, a place where we can be hidden from the agent's of Bigg's system." Ash said, "and something to keep me occupied."
"We need to shape up, there haven't been many off desk quests for a while." Masquarade pointed out, "and money to keep our masks on. Recent behaviour has endangered our social status."
They were ofcourse correct. It was their job. We stole a beautiful car from a nearby parking lot. The car was unlocked, a true gift from the controlling class. A delightful example of being lulled into ignorance by distancing themself from the world. Or simply the remote for the locks was out of juice. The world isn't made from 'black and white' or 'different shades of gray,' it's a bloody rainbow ranging from simple ignorant naivity to the even more simple corruption of power.
We cruised the city, looking for abandoned buildings, and finally decided on an abandoned warehouse by the docks. It was a decent place, maybe filthy but it had enough room for everything we would need. We traded in the car to some 'home boys,' as they liked to call themselves, for a van. Slowly and surely we built up the interiours of our new home with sleeping quarters, an extensive wardrope, training area for gun play, melee combat and other exercises. We even had a small armory at the end of the month, thanks to Masquarades mastery over identities. All in all it took us 3 months to put this all together and we rarely left our base except for feeding, a month after that. Patric was the first one to look for something to sooth his appetite for something else, and brought home a ten year old girl. She cried the entire night, but in the end we managed to fall asleep while he had his fun.
I brought home a few books and read through them between practices, I offered Ash a book, but he refused because of his fragile state. Meanwhile Masquarade spent a part of his day looking for information as a hobby. He never found much useful info though. But it kept the morale from going to the dogs.

#21 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -

Posted 21 January 2005 - 09:38 PM

Yeah, it's definitely getting quite disturbing now, Icey. But I'll keep reading to see where this is going.

It's very different from the original short story though.

#22 User is offline   Icey Icon

• n00b
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 January 2005 - 07:06 AM

Yeah, I never really showed the Lightbringer at all in the original one and in my head he was no better than his except for his honesty. The additional cast all came quite naturally, different people being corrupted the same way. As I said in the story, Ash is the only one of the 'higher class' folk that has any bit of humanity in him.

Yet it's not very different from the original one to me. But that is only because I see the golden thread I use as a guide for both of them. A thread I don't want to reveal. yet.

#23 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -

Posted 22 January 2005 - 10:23 AM

Okay. So this thread will lead this current story somewhere close to where we were in the original one. Then I shall wait and see until you reveal your secret golden thread. Write on, good friend.

#24 User is offline   Icey Icon

• n00b
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 January 2005 - 11:40 AM

Yeah, lead there and beyond. It's a long path though so I'm not going to reach it very soon.

#25 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof

Posted 23 January 2005 - 02:11 AM

Hell, we have time. Don't try to rush it, better to keep up the excellent quality.
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#26 User is offline   Icey Icon

• n00b
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 January 2005 - 04:40 PM

Then the news that would mobilize us finally arrived. The promised land would start shipping in people and building material in a month from all over the world. It would be a place where we could start off with a clean slade. If that was what we wanted. A clean slade as working class shits in mister Bigg's great big empire. As with all commercial deals, they sound good untill you see the other side of the coin. Masquarade did not find it particularly important, but I on the other hand...
One could get a clean slade inside the controlling class if we'd hold our cards right. Getting the raw materials and men from here to there without alarming mister Bigg should not be too difficult. His eyes would be blind to people making their own way there as he offers free fairs to his promised land. We would be in a unique position of revenge and destroying that which brought upon our downfall. And that idea got sold. We began scheming and planning, we drew plans, we drew bases, fortresses, castles, holes, jungle huts. Everything that came to mind. We found out what talents were needed, which professions were abusable. What types of people we needed, where a ship could be charted. How we could use our very limited amount of credits to pay for all of it.
We handed out roles, Masquarade was to recruit those that would help with construction of our landing. I would find ships and material and would have the largest portion of credits to spend, Ash would try to track down the rest of the fallen advisors. Meanwhile Patric would overlook the project. Ask any working class moron and he would say our task was an impossible one.
Impossible is nothing.
It took promises, threats, voilence, murder, theft and destroying property to get what we needed. But a year after our fall, we were finally ready. Twelve advisors, five ships and two hundred men given a ticket to the top of the food chain in the new world. The ride was smooth, and gave insight into how the vikings and pirates could go on sailing for longer than common sense would suggest. It was peaceful and organic. Standing under the open sky there alone at night made me interested in things beyond vendetta. Things like power and wealth, the matters of my black heart.
Halfway to the promised land Ash freaked out and started looking for flammable liquids. With the help of two other advisors Masquarade managed to cool him down. We gave him a workshop where he could keep himself busy in a constructive manner repairing weapons and other things that had broken down during our last year in the old world. Patric and I inquired what those outside our core had done in the past year.
They had split up the moment they got out, using the logic that they would be harder to track down. After that they all started struggling, kicking up the murder rate within the city, cannibalism and various other crimes, ones concerning ones body or property. We had it great next to them.
Masquarade mingled with the working men, finding the possible leaders and how to keep them from uniting against the rest of us. No need to piss on fate more than you have to. We had brought on many people with leadership potential, it was an essential trade if one wanted to become an advisor and it helped us dividing them as they were all so very green to the more corrupt shades of the world. We had taken notes in history class.

Then after two weeks at sea, we arrived at the shores of the promised land. We had seen the industrial docks of mister Bigg through binoculars, there were more ships ther than I could count easily. Only one of them stood out though. A royal ship, bonewhite and cleaner than the rest of them. It was obviously for a smaller amount of people than it's size would indicate. Later I would find out it was mister Bigg's soulless vampire with troops to ensure everything went smoothly. Make sure no one would abuse their freedoms to do something their new Lord did not want them to do.
Freedom indeed.
Sixty kilometers from there we made our landing and quickly unloaded the most essential cargo and started building the skeleton for our new home. Those were ruthless first months, raising walls, making sturdy gates, a harbour, houses, guard towers and other various buildings. But undisturbed we finished our fortress, and it truly was a work to be proud of. We had set it up so we could easily house our group twice and it would be minimum hazzle expanding if the need would arise. Afterwards we were drained, we had no way of retreat from our work during the time we built the fortress. You either hunted wild animals, found fruit or did something for the fortress.
It was time for a feast for our hard working men and women, while I and Masquarade would infiltrade and acquire information about Bigg's land.

I dressed up to be more or less invisible, putting on a white hooded shirt and black baggy trousers. Masquarade on the other hand put on something very attention grabbing garbs. A captain's outfit from a long since dissolved army, a dab of first grade theatrical paint and hair dye. He would stand out in most places of this age, so much you could never notice anything about what he looked like. An art he had perfected.
"How do you like my outfit, Lightbringer?" He asked using a very thick accent I couldn't easily place.
"Very eyecatching. A good distraction from yourself."
He smiled, flashing his white teeth, "thank you. You're very urban."
"I only hope it will be appropriate, we don't know what inhabitants have set roots here." I paused for a moment as I opened up the doors to our armory. "Though I do strongly doubt seeing people dressed up like you. This is pretty universal clothing at the moment, everyone with any sense of modern culture will be familiar with."
I followed Masquarade in, he pointed me to follow him over to the pistol cabinet. He took out two pistol while grinning, those were the first two additions to our armory. The shop boy's revolver and old Bertha's pistol. "Good choice of side-arms, eh?"
"Oddly appropriate, the guns at the beginning at our journey come into use at the beginning of our trek in the new world." I weighed the revolver in my hand, an inaccurate weapon, but packed a punch. I wouldn't have trouble killing someone with it. Masquarade fit his pistol into his gunpocket, a part of his belt. He had already helped himself to ammo, my eyes told me.

We got on 'The Smooth.' It was our van reborn, rebuilt for off road driving. Patric and Bull, one of the eight, sat in the front. Bull had been a bullfighter, the best in the field. There are rumours that he has fought bulls with nothing but his two bare hands. Those are as insubstantial as the claims that there are no global conspiracies. "Ready to go boys?" Patric said and looked into the rearview mirror at us.
We answered him positively and looked back as we left the fortress.
You really have to distance yourself from something to see what it really is. Our fortress stood up to it's name, and donned a new name. Home.
It's tall dark brown walls, the simplistic guard towers and a few black roofs one could spot above the walls were beautiful. After all the work behind it, it was too hard for me not to grow attached to it, something I despised greatly. Yet, I could just let it slide with a smile. An oddly pleasant feeling. Made me wonder if we had outdone the other settlement on this cursed land, or if we had for the first time been the underdog to the working class.

#27 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -

Posted 24 January 2005 - 06:54 PM

Freedom indeed.

Alright, mate. Things are definitely happening now. Another good chapter. Look forward to the next installment. thumbsup.gif

#28 User is offline   Icey Icon

• n00b
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 January 2005 - 06:06 PM

Thanks mate, lying in bed cursing my molars, I finished another installment.

The van floated across the beach, towards Bigg's landing, the sound of the engine roaring and the surf filled our ears as we enjoyed the view. Had the old world ever been this beautiful? The untouched nature was a piece of art I would like to keep for myself. I was glad that the taint of man would ruin it soon enough, it was a treasure I would never have to envy anyone of.
Looking through the binoculars I began to see lights. It was Bigg's landing, we were almost at the point where we would get dropped off. Patric turned around in his seat, "if you can, grab me a girl."
"Not advisable at this point, our wants come second to our needs." I replied.
"And getting a mob of riled up parents in their and our landing is not a good move, teach." Masquarade added smiling, still using his unplaceable accent.
"Well worth a shot, will have to deal with my loneliness some other way then." Patric said and faced the land in front of him again. We could make out unfinished houses clinging onto a hill. Past that point, civilization. The tires left the bare ground and entered the land of asphalt roads. Ever so slowly the car slid up the hill, up the road, leading to our competition. And then we stood on top of the hill looking at Bigg's amazing promised land.
It looked like a gargantuan fishing village with a mansion and a big city harbour. A very pleasant surprise.
"That's underwhelming." Bull said, sucking on a cigarette."It's like the town I grew up, only far bigger."
I couldn't help smiling unconntrollably "most of the inhabitants lived in poverty, if I'm not mistaken."
"Aye, we was poor."
Those were great news, it would make acting out far easier.

Me and Masquarade got off the Smooth and nodded goodbye to Bull and Patric before seperating. I was to make my way to the mansion, find out who ran the place and other info and try to find a building plan for the town, while Masquarade was to find out various tidbits of info, a map if one was available and keys to important locations.
My feet led me down a street into a square, it must have been two AM, but still I could find people outside. None of the unwanted pack either. Men and women talking together and just having a grand time without any of the luxuries they had grown used during the city life. I sat down on a bench with a short brick wall behind it and trees on both sides, not far from where the people had come together. The air was good, quite unlike the city air which had slowly left my memory since we left. It was now almost all gone, just a small whiff remaining within my brain. A week later it would no longer be there, only a bitter aftertaste. The knowledge it had been something horrible.
"Hello there, mate." A man said as he sat next to me. I couldn't tell much about his facial features under his red beard and long hair, except that he had a model worthy smile.
"Evening." I hastily replied, not to sound rude, just an automatic response.
"Haven't seen you here before, new to town?"
"Oh, I've been here since they started building the houses to the east." A stretch maybe, but I hoped he wouldn't know how to work a map.
He looked in the right direction, up the hill at the cluster of unfinished houses. "So not very long, eh?"
I smiled "a bit longer than one would think. Lets just leave it at that."
"Do you have a proper place to stay in?"
That sounded like an offer more forward than I had expected, "not really."
"Me and the wife have a house here nearby, you could stay the night if you'd like that."
My smile broadened, "that's a very nice of you to offer me that, I would like that."
We walked a bit to the west untill we came to a house, looking like all the other houses. There were many variations of the houses, they differed in length, colour and height while retaining the same vibe and feel. This was a white variation on two floors. He showed me in, it's what a real estate agent would call cozy. He finished the tour and no sight of his wife, "I'm sorry that my wife couldn't be here tonight. She has to work, even though this is supposed to be a paradise, it's hard for us to get by when there isn't enough room on the market for more construction workers. You are a lucky sort, having work."
"I thought a part of the deal was being fed by the system."
"One meal a day will mess you up in the long run. You have to work to get the three meals a day." I began to miss his smile.
"Bullshit and corruption," I said, "what doers your wife do?"
He looked me in the eyes and I could find sorrow lurking in his soul. "Must be hard getting through the nights."
He nodded and half mumbled. "We haven't been able to, mhhm, since she began working on the side."
I lightly tipped his chin upwards with index finger. Our eyes met and I kissed him. What followed was an hour filled with lust and intimacy. I had missed that feeling horribly for years, now when I felt it again I didn't really want to let go off it again. Persuading him to move to our fortress would be easy. We slept till ten snuggled up in his bed. We got dressed together and as I left he kissed me on the chin. I would have to drop by on the way back and pick him up. There were not going to pass years untill I'd find this erotic blizz again.

Walking from his house I saw a woman with her hair messed up, hardly wearing clothes and holding a bag full of food. I didn't need to look back to know it was the man's wife. She did however slap me in the face with the fact that I had just slept with a man I knew nothing off, not even a name. Bothered me only when I thought that I'd like to talk to him again.
I walked further toward's the mansion and an hour later I was outside the tall brick walls surrounding the courtyard. I walked to a nearby house and when I had assured myself that no one was nearby, I climbed ontop of a roof from an alleyway. From the roof I could spot a couple of guards at the mansion's entrance. They were far better armed than me. I took out the binoculars and checked all the windows, looking for the resident or something that would help me identify him.
Then I saw a chained up pair through the attic window, the marks were there. It could only be the Count. I slid down the side of the roof and let myself fall to the ground.
I cautiously walked along the tall wall to the back of the mansion, climbing on top of it I saw the back entrance was unguarded. I hesitated for a moment before I jumped down on the ground. I would have to balance my nature to the extend of my abilities. Keep my light to an absolute minimum, yet bright enough to avoid the all too familiar shadow falling upon me would I be found.
Too bad stealth had never before been essential to my survival.

This post has been edited by Icey: 25 January 2005 - 06:07 PM

#29 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -

Posted 25 January 2005 - 06:47 PM

Good, good. It felt a bit like Ann Rice this time around. But keep it coming.

#30 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof

Posted 26 January 2005 - 01:17 AM

Had to go back to where Lightbringer was stealing clothes to check that he was male. Well written, and very dark. Interesting to see where you're heading.

• (4 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size