Chefelf.com Night Life: Real-Time or Turn-Based - Chefelf.com Night Life

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Real-Time or Turn-Based RPG Combat Systems

Poll: Which combat system do you prefer in a CRPG?

Which combat system do you prefer in a CRPG?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 18 January 2005 - 08:26 AM

Rome Total War has MultiPlayer. It's single player game is great though.

Take Shogun or Medeval Total War games and turn them into 3D.

Or, If you're not familiar with the Total War series. Then take LORDS of THE REALM and pilfer it's turned base econmic/army mustering system and add 3D battles with 1000's of polygons on the screen at once.

One thing that I love about this game is the Cavalry Units. In preivous RTS games, Calvary was nothing more than a glorifed Foot unit. They never had that much of an edge over ground infantry. Sure you could travel faster, but in combat, there was no difference. You would charge a ground unit form a distance. You'd race up to the enemy, then stop on a dime, and begin hacking away with a weapon. What's wrong with this picture? Well, horse units don't stop and attack.

How does RTW deal with this?

Depending on the nature of your charge - From a hill top, over flat land, into a tight cluster of troops or loose formation, what type of ground unit, what type of mounted (heavy, light calvary, camels, elephants)- your charge will differ.

A charge against most infantry is like this: You'll have pack of 60 or so cavarly units, you'll order them to attack say, a cohort of legionares. First off, you'll assemble into attack formation. A slow gallop which increases in speed as you approach the enemy cohort. As you get closer, your company leader will yell "charge". At the call of "charge" all your men will unsheath their swords or postiion their spear and yell "ahhhhttack". Trust me, it sounds cool. They will pound themselves into the cohort like a bat out of hell. Enemy ground troops will be flung back, into the air, about 5 meteres. Some will get trampled by your horses, some will taste the steel of your weapons, some will run away in fear. Ground men that fall, well, your horses will just jump over them in a quick ass style that makes it look so real. And upon landing will reap havoc on the surviving enemies. The point it, not all of your units will stop on a dime and attack, some that get bogged down will, but most will just run past the enemies and come back again for another round of combat. What I'm trying to say is the fighting is realistic and very well designed.

Of course, the charge does not always go so smooth. If you're feeling retarded, you can charge a greek phlanax head on (ie. not try to out flack the shanks on the end if their spear tips.) Your cavalry units will not just fall over like lifeless slugs, they will die big time. Horses will get impaled on spears and your riders will be tossed off their mounts fall to the ground and die.

This game is just so sweet.

This post has been edited by Jordan: 18 January 2005 - 08:27 AM

Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#17 User is offline   Laughlyn Icon

• Token drunk
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Who am I? I'm Laughlyn, resident Gentleman B*stard of the highest order of the british empire, A geek who's crawled out of the far side of the abyss to wreck havoc upon his breathren. A closet troll, purveyor of bartender brand advice (<br />Call me for realtionship advice\general abuse on +447949623581.... Just don't expect me to answer), thinks-he's-artsy person, and occasional Pirate.<br /><br />Interests? What the bloody hell is this? A census?

Posted 18 January 2005 - 10:37 AM

STOP DROOLING LAUGHLYN, YOU LOOK LIKE AN IDIOT!

huh.gif Not sure the love life/studies will stand another games addiction, but I'll take your word for. Will be heading for the shops at the weekend, if I go missing, blame Jordan.
IPB Image
I want to go back to the films of the 80's, where plots were simple, and explosions happened regularly....

#18 User is offline   floppydisk Icon

• The Amazing Bag-Man!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Movies. Books. Video Games.

Posted 18 January 2005 - 12:22 PM

Dude, what I was saying is that you're moving the problem from the main screen to the borders. You still have to identify the enemy from the pictures, which if there's a large mob of similar monsters could take a while. Plus the targetiing for area effect spells could get badly screwed.

Some characters may only have attack, but they may have other moves\abilities (look at BG2) which you might need quick access to. Inventory items would need to be quick accessed as well.

Oh and the spell list was Simes point. Lots of spells and no time to select them. most used is fine, but when you need to pull that turn undead spell out of your back pocket after casting healing spells all day, you're gonna get creamed whilst in the menu.

Yes, I am aware of these problems. I was not trying to pass of my idea as perfect.
QUOTE (Theodor Herzl)
If you will it, it is no dream.

#19 User is offline   Laughlyn Icon

• Token drunk
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Who am I? I'm Laughlyn, resident Gentleman B*stard of the highest order of the british empire, A geek who's crawled out of the far side of the abyss to wreck havoc upon his breathren. A closet troll, purveyor of bartender brand advice (<br />Call me for realtionship advice\general abuse on +447949623581.... Just don't expect me to answer), thinks-he's-artsy person, and occasional Pirate.<br /><br />Interests? What the bloody hell is this? A census?

Posted 18 January 2005 - 06:40 PM

Never said you were, just your second post was slightly aggresive in it's response.

I have found and example of this kind of thing however. Battle Isle 4 (turnbased) used text prompts for targets\units just of screen. It's a workable idea, in the right sort of game, but probably not best used for a heavy rpg. In a console rpg with a scrolling menu (select attack, attack options in drop down) with limited assailents it's make a nice touch.

Would work wonders in an RTS for keeping track of groups however, you could have the numbers around the edge of the screen to give you a rough idea where they are. Mechcommander and it's kin could really have used it well.

Sorry if you thought I gave you a hard time, not intended. Like you said, just brainstorming. biggrin.gif
IPB Image
I want to go back to the films of the 80's, where plots were simple, and explosions happened regularly....

#20 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 19 January 2005 - 01:28 AM

big fallout fan... i enjoy that kind of combat...
but kotor took it up a knotch...

pause and selection is a great idea...
to some it may seem like an unfair advantage... but it's not...
your character has all their weapons within reach...

you don't sit there thinking about what you can do in real life combat because you know what you can do...

but your character often hads a list of spells and feats etc.

which is why i hate halo now...
i keep getting beaten by people who are better at the controlls...
which is why i always challange them to a real fight afterwards

#21 User is offline   Laughlyn Icon

• Token drunk
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 January 2005 - 05:37 AM

Tis true, nothing sorts out the lamers like a righteous nine iron....

I have remembered something about fallout (and a few other turn based combat systems). The hit descriptions. 'Raider was hit for 34 damage, unfortunately raider's major organs are now visable to sunlight' You just don't get that in realtime. (or in FOT, it scrolled through too quickly to read).

Anyone ever play Super hero league of hoboken. I'd have loved to have seen how they'd represented that combat system.
IPB Image

#22 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 19 January 2005 - 08:30 AM

Never even heard of that game. But with the text descriptions, I think the best I saw from Fallout 2 was something like:
"The President of the USA was crittically hit in the groin for 72 damage, and is no longer able to have children."
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#23 User is offline   Laughlyn Icon

• Token drunk
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 January 2005 - 08:52 AM

SLH (downloadable from underdogs retro fans ) is a weird adventure\rpg by legend, and had some of the strangest combat descriptions of all time:

'The Crimson Tape, armed with a trained doberman, tells the world of the Evangelists affair with a sheep, all the tears of the world fail to save Evangelist as he suffers 43 points of emotional damage. '

Quality.
IPB Image

#24 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 20 January 2005 - 10:20 AM

Brilliant biggrin.gif
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size