Chefelf.com Night Life: Bottle Leads To Marriage - Chefelf.com Night Life

Crappy News Forum

This is a REPLY ONLY form. Only Crappy News Moderators can post news topics here. Anyone is free to reply to the news topics. It's the Crappy News Forum, where everyone's a winner!

Page 1 of 1

Bottle Leads To Marriage Tuesday, January 11, 2005

#1 User is offline   Chyld Icon

• Ancient Monstrosity
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team

Posted 11 January 2005 - 05:55 AM

Enduring love story that began with a girl, a boy and a message in a bottle
January 10th 2005

WHEN ten-year-old Annie Rivet put a message in a bottle and threw it into the English Channel in 1963, she never imagined that the ten-year-old Dutch boy who found it would become such a big part of her life. After 27 years of marriage and two children, however, the couple have told the story of their remarkable relationship for the first time.

Now Mrs Elffers, Annie contacted The Times after a reader in the Questions Answered column asked if anything had ever been achieved by putting a message in a bottle and throwing it into the sea.

Mrs Elffers, now 51, said: “I liked stories about pirates and that’s how I knew about messages in bottles. So when my parents took me to France on holiday, I had my Tizer bottle ready and threw it in the sea halfway across the Channel.

“The note, which we still have, said: ‘Anyone finding this message please send to Annie Rivet,’ with my address in Edinburgh, ‘stating where found. Thank you. Merci Bien.’ I thought it would end up in France.”

The bottle washed up on Noordwijk beach in the Netherlands and was found by Niels Elffers. He said: “I found about ten or twelve bottles with messages, but most of them were from ships, so this one was special from the beginning. I just kept on writing to her. I don’t know why — I just did.”

The first letter from the Netherlands, which had been translated into English by Mr Elffers’ mother, caused great excitement.

“It was addressed to A. Rivet, which was also my mother’s initial,” Mrs Elffers said. “She opened it then passed it to me. We all shrieked when we realised it was a reply to the bottle.”

Annie and Niels first met at the age of 12, when Annie’s parents went to the Netherlands on holiday and called in on the Elffers family in Utrecht.

“I particularly liked the way he did cartwheels down the street,” she said. As teenagers they shared a passion for music, classical and modern.

“He used to send me happy letters with drawings and photographs taken by his father,” she said. “He even made me a red wooden star candle-holder, which we get out every Christmas.”

They stayed in touch and met for the second time when they were 20.

“I was working in France one summer when I was a student,” Mrs Elffers said. “He and his parents visited and invited me to spend a week with them in Holland, which I did. I had a very pleasant time.”

After finishing her studies, Annie found a job teaching languages in The Hague, but insists that it was not because she had any designs on Niels. “I just wanted to be international and travel; it wasn’t because of him,” she said.

One summer when they were in their early 20s, they discovered that they had made separate plans to travel around France, so decided to pool their resources.

“She just put her rucksack in the back of my car and never left,” Mr Elffers said. Their romance developed with the help of a few glasses of French wine: “It just happened really. I didn’t take her on holiday with that intention.”

The couple decided to live together and moved to Vianen, in the Netherlands, where Mr Elffers was working. They married there in 1978, at the age of 25, and stayed for 27 years.

“There was always something very special about our relationship,” Mrs Elffers said. “I didn’t fancy him at first — I just thought he was a nice guy. I had other relationships, but by my mid-20s I knew him quite well and choosing someone for marriage is not the same as choosing someone to go out with.”

They have a son, Daniel, 25, and an adopted daughter, Rebecca, 20. Last year they moved to Wymondham, Norfolk. Mrs Elffers, a language teacher, said: “We wanted to move on. Holland has become like one big city. It’s very overcrowded and not as pleasant as it used to be. The streets are always clogged with cars.”

Mr Elffers, a mechanical engineer, said that the secret to their enduring relationship is that he and his wife have always had common interests and often think alike.

“I don’t believe in fate,” he said. “I’m a very practical Dutchman, but when I tell other people and they are so amazed and sometimes disbelieving, I have to wonder.”

Mrs Elffers concluded: “We are still very happy. It has always been a special relationship. How can you marry someone else after all that?”

http://www.timesonli...1433241,00.html (UK only)

Some of us spend hours in a club getting wrecked, some of us use the Internet, some of us accidently look at a friend the right way, some of us throw bottles into the sea and become penpals with a Dutchman.

I swear, I'm never going to understand love...

NOTE: I've found out why no one outside of Britain can ever real the links to The times' website - they're tight bastards who only let the British read it for free...

CHEFELF EDIT: Fixed repeating text. smile.gif

This post has been edited by Chefelf: 11 January 2005 - 12:23 PM

When you lose your calm, you feed your anger.

Less Is More v4
Now resigned to a readership of me, my cat and some fish

#2 User is offline   Helena Icon

• Basher Extraordinaire
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Current age: 22<br /><br />Current occupation: Auditor<br /><br />Interests: Reading, computer games, music, and Star Wars (obviously).<br /><br />Talents: Can't act, can't dance, can sing a little.<br /><br />Loves: Terry Pratchett's 'Discworld' series.<br /><br />Hates: Harry Potter. Surely I can't be the only one?

Posted 11 January 2005 - 06:38 AM

Funny. I'm in Germany and I can read the article.
The sandpeople had women and children. We know this because Anakin killed them how could he tell? The children might be smaller but I never saw a sandperson with breasts. Did they hike their skirts and show him some leg or something?

Also, I can see the point of wanting to kidnap a human and use her as a slave, but they didn't. They tied her to a flimsy easel for a month. It's assumed they had to feed and give her water. What for? Was she purely ornamental? I can understand them wanting the droids, you can sell those for a lot of money, but a chick who's only skills are finding non-existand mushrooms and getting randomly pregnant, you're not going to get much.

- J m HofMarN on the Sand People

#3 User is offline   Laura Icon

• Brother Redcloud
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Interests:gnome habits

Posted 11 January 2005 - 09:59 AM

There seems to be a technical problem with the quote (same paragraphs repeated over and over). What's the story about?

#4 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 11 January 2005 - 11:30 AM

I tried to edit it and then got confused and stopped. sad.gif

Why don't I have a Dutch penpal?
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#5 User is offline   Chyld Icon

• Ancient Monstrosity

Posted 11 January 2005 - 12:16 PM

Weird, it works fine for me. You sure it doesn't load properly?

In summery, its about a married couple who met when the lady stuck a message in a bottle and threw it into the English Channel when she was young.

Less Is More v4

#6 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 11 January 2005 - 12:28 PM

I got it to work. The text in the article you posted was a little off, just repeated so I fixed it. smile.gif

As for the story: it's kinda touching but kinda makes you want to barf at the same time.

On the other hand, it's suspicious that they waited all this time to tell their story. Sorta like someone who made it up might do.
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#7 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

• Knows All The Girls Named Lola
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Tyranny

Posted 11 January 2005 - 12:33 PM

Wow what a wonderful story, I rather like that.

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.
- Deucaon toes a hard line on gay fetus rights.

#8 User is offline   Slade Icon

• Full of Bombs and/or Keys
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 11 January 2005 - 01:38 PM

Yeah, it's one of those ones that's so touching its revolting.

And c'mon, can anyone really say they understand love?
This space for rent. Inquire within.

#9 User is offline   Laura Icon

• Brother Redcloud
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 January 2005 - 06:31 PM

I'm totally going to say that's how I met my boyfriend. MUCH cooler than the Internet. And the best part is it's plausible, because I like stories about pirates too!

#10 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 11 January 2005 - 09:32 PM

QUOTE (Chefelf @ Jan 11 2005, 11:30 AM)

what about me?

--------------------

at first i thought this story was about a game of 'spin the bottle' gone horribly wrong...

also: pirate.gif's good.

#11 User is offline   Laura Icon

• Brother Redcloud
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 January 2005 - 09:36 PM

QUOTE (Chefelf @ Jan 11 2005, 11:30 AM)

Is that like a Dutch uncle?

I think it would be like a penpal who just writes stern admonitions. "Dear Emma, Badly done!"

#12 User is offline   Chyld Icon

• Ancient Monstrosity

Posted 11 January 2005 - 10:21 PM

Personally, I put that story up because it was either that, or one about cheap cocaine. If I'd known Cheffers was going to go with the other story, I'd have left it, and waited for the one I'm putting up today...

Less Is More v4

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size