Chefelf.com Night Life: Shootout over Not Wanting to Return to Iraq - Chefelf.com Night Life

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Shootout over Not Wanting to Return to Iraq AWOL Soldier

#1 User is offline   Hannibal Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Former Members

Posted 12 January 2005 - 12:01 AM

Ceres Police Shooting Suspect was AWOL Marine A Marine from Modesto allegedly opened fire on two Ceres police officers Sunday night, killing one of them and critically wounding the other.

In chilling surveillance video, an individual, who police identified as 19-year-old Andres Raya of Modesto is seen brandishing an SKS assault rifle outside George's Liquors on Caswell Avenue in Ceres. As police officers approach, the figure in the video opens fire, appearing to pursue the officers a short distance.

Sgt. Howard Stevenson died of his injuries after being shot multiple times at about 8:30 p.m. Fellow officer Sam Ryno, who was the first to respond to the 911 call, was critically wounded.

According to Lt. Bill Heyne of the Stanislaus County Sheriff's Department, the incident appeared to be planned. Raya reportedly fired one round, then entered the liquor store, telling the clerk to call police. The surveillance video appears to show Raya waiting for the responding officers to arrive.

According to bystanders, Raya fired as many as 60 rounds during the shootout with the two officers.

After the shooting, police say Raya fled into a nearby neighborhood. Officers with the Ceres, Newman, Turlock and Modesto police departments, the Stanislaus County Sheriff's Department, and the California Highway Patrol cordoned off the area and began a search, concentrating on a neighborhood near Caswell and Central avenues. At about 11:30 p.m., the suspect was located in an alley. According to police, the gunman opened fire on officers. There was an exchange of gunfire and Raya was killed.

Heyne said Raya had returned to Modesto in September after a seven-month duty tour of duty in Iraq. He reported back to Camp Pendleton last week. Marines in his unit said he told them he was going out for something to eat Saturday night and that was the last he was seen.

According to investigators, Raya's family said the young Marine was upset over the prospect of returning to Iraq.

Stevenson is survived by his wife, two daughters and a son

*User image removed*

This post has been edited by Slade: 12 January 2005 - 02:21 AM

"Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities also has the power to make you commit atrocities."
~ Voltaire (1694-1778)

Enjoy this Tribute to Nazism...(Mp3)

#2 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 12 January 2005 - 01:42 AM

*Kittens* off with your cut and paste postings.

Edit: This post has been edited for content until the situation at hand can be resolved. I apologize for your inconvience, and thank you for your cooporation in this matter.

-Your Friendly Neighborhood Moderator

This post has been edited by Slade: 12 January 2005 - 02:16 AM

Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#3 User is offline   Slade Icon

• Full of Bombs and/or Keys
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 12 January 2005 - 01:59 AM

Hey hey, calm down, Jordan. I'm going to fix things in a minute.

Edit: The wheels of beurocracy are rolling as I type... And sorry I had to do that to your post...

This post has been edited by Slade: 12 January 2005 - 02:17 AM

This space for rent. Inquire within.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked