Chefelf.com Night Life: The Catcher in the Rye - Chefelf.com Night Life

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Catcher in the Rye If you dont like it you're a phony!

#31 User is offline   Rhubarb Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Regurgitator, the Froud family, T.H. White, and Dylan Moran.

Posted 01 May 2005 - 04:33 PM

Yeah, I can't really explain what I mean here too well... most of the times I've come here lately I've been either drunk or exhausted. But the way it was taught to me, it's like... questioning the nature of truth and reality and so forth. Like, here is this chair, I'm looking at it and I know it's there in front of me. But I'm only looking at it from a certain angle, and maybe from another perspective, it's an entirely different chair. If I can't see it or touch it, how do I know it exists? Or how can I trust my senses even if I could?

A person can look at a stain on a wall and see some mould, but another one might see a vision of the Cookie Monster. It isn't about 'seeing is believing' by any stretch, but... eh, it's hard to explain. If you wanna get theological, Person A believes in God for all they are worth and for them, God is as real as real can be. But Person B thinks that God does not exist, and for them, God is not real.

I'm really not explaining this quite how I want to, which I expected to happen. Best I can do at 6am. Or whatever it is.

#32 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

• Knows All The Girls Named Lola
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Tyranny

Posted 01 May 2005 - 05:36 PM

That sounds a bit more like materialism or subjective materialism.

And by the way,

"That's existentialism? Aw, lame. I always defined it as something completely different. And cooler! >:( My existentialism is better. "

If your idea of existentialism involves small mammals and KY jelly than I've already invented that philosophy.

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.
- Deucaon toes a hard line on gay fetus rights.

#33 User is offline   jariten Icon

• making the nature scene
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 May 2005 - 04:52 PM

Rhubarb- you're thinking of Descartes (who certainly did believe in God)

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic