• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Hitchhiker's Guide

#16 User is offline   Heccubus Icon

• Ugh.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator

Posted 11 March 2005 - 08:07 PM

Well, it's not a Hitchhiker book. The Dirk Gently books were more of a mystery spoof than a sci-fi spoof.

#17 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 11 March 2005 - 11:54 PM

I saw the BBC tv show DVD at the ABC store the other day, but didn't want to fork out $50 for it just now. So I spent $40 on Red Dwarf IV instead.
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#18 User is offline   Zerahsedai Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 11 May 2005 - 01:53 PM

QUOTE (Heccubus @ Mar 9 2005, 09:35 AM)
I think there was only two...the one that I mentioned and "Long Dark Tea Time Of The Soul".  I've also been trying to find a copy of "The Meaning Of Liff" to no avail.

A friend keeps recommending The Meaning of Liff and I keep forgetting to look for it when I'm in the bookstore. Do you know, is it out of print or something?

#19 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 13 May 2005 - 11:33 AM

It was nearly out of print the day it was made. I knew a guy who had a copy: it's just one f those fake dictionaries, full of words for things there aren't words for. try eBay; someone may be trying to get rid of it.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#20 User is offline   Heccubus Icon

• Ugh.

Posted 13 May 2005 - 12:30 PM

Ah, the elusive "Liff" books. I've been trying to track them down for ages, it seems. You'd think that with the sudden resurgence of Adams' popularity, they'd put them back into print.

#21 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • Group: Admin

Posted 13 May 2005 - 01:24 PM

Somehow I have a copy of "Teatime". I gave it to Jen in an exhibit of selflessness a couple of years ago, an act that loses its impact now that we live together.
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#22 User is offline   Rhubarb Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Regurgitator, the Froud family, T.H. White, and Dylan Moran.

Posted 14 May 2005 - 06:30 PM

The 'Liff' book is hard to find? I used to have two copies. I think one was a slightly updated version or something. Dunno what happened to them, I think they were in the book box that somehow missing in storage during my sharehousing days, along with loads of other possessions. Fucking unreliable family. They kept my goddamned printer on the dirt floor in a doorless outside shed, didn't wrap it up or nothin'.

And yeah, it's a fake dictionary, except all the words are actual names of towns from around the world (although most of them are English towns). They have definitions like, "the roll of flesh that bulges over a woman's brassiere that is slightly too small". My favourite one had the definition, '"Oh god, I don't know. Some sort of bird, possibly".

I have the Teatime book somewhere, but it's kinda boring. My favouritest Adams book ever is 'Last Chance To See', some travel journal of his. It's hilariously awesome. It doesn't rely on his imagination, so he just totally runs rampant with anecdotes and documentation. Great stuff. There's also this one bird that he totally rips into... just picks on like it called him names in a pub or something. He does nothing but list its habits and call it stupid for like three pages.

#23 User is offline   s(AINT) Icon

• New Cop
  • Group: Junior Members
  • Interests:Music!

Posted 23 June 2006 - 06:36 PM

I have to say that Hitchikers was one of the best book series i have ever read, and i HATE the new movie with every little particle of my being!
"The other night I took an eighty-year-old taxidermied monkey, set it on fire in the pool and filmed it from beneath with an underwater camera," says Marilyn Manson, sitting in his home in Los Angeles. "It was beautiful, like the Titanic, the Hindenburg and King Kong all mixed into one."

"There's no time to discriminate, hate every motherfucker thats in your way!"---Marilyn Manson, The Beautiful People

"What's my name, what's my name, hold the S because I am an AINT!"---Marilyn Manson, s(AINT)

"Fuck it all, Fuck this world, Fuck everything that you stand for, Don't belong, Don't Exist, Don't give a shit, Don't ever judge me!"---Slipknot, Surfacing

"Injustice made its mark, All the political whores only come out after dark, If anyone knows the way, Build me a bridge so i don't fall astray."---Nevermore, Inside Four Walls

IPB Image

#24 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 29 June 2006 - 12:54 AM

i whole heartedly agree...

it could have been great, it really could have...
they screwed up every joke, skipped important material, jumped to unwarrented punch lines, screwed up the character relationships, and threw in the line about the resteraunt at the end of the universe being on the other end, i'm sure, just to annoy anyone who was a pre-existing fan of the series....

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic