Chefelf.com Night Life: Mangling a Bad Guy: - Chefelf.com Night Life

Star Wars Fan Convention

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Mangling a Bad Guy: How GL ruins his villains.

#16 User is offline   jariten Icon

• making the nature scene
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 05 January 2005 - 03:21 PM

QUOTE (Sagacity @ Jan 4 2005, 09:10 PM)
If there is any doubt that Lucas is ruining one of the greatest villains of all time, read this:

Lucas Reveals Vader's True Side to Vanity Fair

To those who remember who Vader was, it will make your soul weep.

On the contrary, it made me even more exicted for May. Thats a great picture too, with Jar Jar in the middle (proving that, if nothing else, Lucas has a sense of humour).

#17 User is offline   CowboyCurtis Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I lose interest in more things each and every day as things grow more and more mediocre and substandard...

Posted 05 January 2005 - 05:14 PM

[Sarcasm] Really!? What a shock! [/sarcasm]

Seriously, though, Jariten.... enjoy.

There's no hope, nothing there that draws me. The first TPM trailer was the last SW trailer to give me any thrills. Episdoe III trailer fails to even stir my interest.

Sorry.
Flying Ferret

Battle for the Galaxy--read the "other Star Wars"

All I know is I haven't seen the real prequels yet.

#18 User is offline   Lord Aquaman Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Movies, comic books, some mythology... basically anything that's larger than life.

Posted 06 January 2005 - 12:05 AM

QUOTE (jariten @ Jan 5 2005, 01:21 PM)
On the contrary, it made me even more exicted for May. Thats a great picture too, with Jar Jar in the middle (proving that, if nothing else, Lucas has a sense of humour).

Jariten, you scare me when you write stuff like that. You really do.
I am the Fisher King.

I'd like a qui-gon jinn please with an obi-wan to go.

#19 User is offline   jariten Icon

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 January 2005 - 04:14 AM

Heh heh, which bit? The exicted for May bit or the JJ bit? I'm guessing the JJ bit. Now, i'm not trying to justify a 'JJ is more important than Han so he deserves it!" stance or anything like that. But irrespective of whose idea it was to put him there, dont you find it even remotely funny?

#20 User is offline   Lord Aquaman Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Movies, comic books, some mythology... basically anything that's larger than life.

Posted 06 January 2005 - 10:38 AM

The overall "bit" of your post scared me.
I am the Fisher King.

I'd like a qui-gon jinn please with an obi-wan to go.

#21 User is offline   CowboyCurtis Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I lose interest in more things each and every day as things grow more and more mediocre and substandard...

Posted 06 January 2005 - 01:34 PM

I don't know how you do it, Jariten---I would seriously have to truly delude myself, take drugs, or something, or get kidnapped by gushers and brainwashed like in A Clockwork Orange to enjoy the PT!

I would have to really set aside my discriminating tastes and values in movie viewing in order to accept those films.
Flying Ferret

Battle for the Galaxy--read the "other Star Wars"

All I know is I haven't seen the real prequels yet.

#22 User is offline   jariten Icon

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 January 2005 - 05:11 PM

and most peoples taste in (and knowledge of) music is so limited it makes me roll my eyes in disbelief, but to each his own.

#23 User is offline   not this crude matter Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip
  • Group: Former Members

Posted 07 January 2005 - 11:05 PM

Hopefully this won't be said in the movie so we can just ignore it.

obi wan- I just defeated Anakin in a lightsaber duel and im pretty sure he died in the lava pit I kicked him in to.***ahh wait I semse he is still alive.**

master yoda- hmmm yesss sense it do I also. you see master obi wan....Anakin had 20 000 midichlorians. When burned he was, 2/3 of his midiclorians...gone they were. it seems the remaning 6666.666666666667 left they are. good thing though...not as powerful will he be. pathetic he is now, holding his leash tarkin is.

audience- WHAT THE FUCL?!?!?!?!?!?!?

#24 User is offline   Paladin Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 08 January 2005 - 08:16 PM

Well, I believe you're right, but I don't think the films ever tell us this. All that's mentioned is that the Sith are now 'extinct', which makes them sound more like a species which just died out. I don't see how anyone unfamiliar with the EU could guess that the Jedi wiped them out in a war (especially since we're never even told exactly what the Sith are).

Well, in the OT, Obi Wan mentions that the Jedi are 'all but extinct' as well. I think that Tarkin says it, too, but I'm not sure.

What's more is, the term 'Sith' was coined long after the OT had been released. It was never mentioned in any shape or form in the OT, and Darth Vader didn't have his 'Dark Lord of the Sith' title actually stated in any of the movies.

I just want to know this: when was the first time the 'Sith' were mentioned? For me, it was the expansion pack for 'Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight: The mysteries of the Sith'. Do you people have any info on this?

#25 User is offline   azerty Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 08 January 2005 - 08:48 PM

It is a definite certainty that "Sith" was mentioned almost simultaneously with the release of the original movie. Darth Vader was always referred to as a "Dark Lord of the Sith", though no part of this was ever explained in any way. Same with "Grand Moff" Tarkin, which also has never been explained. This is actually strange, since at that time there was not much "pretend backstory", along the lines of giving individual names to aliens in the cantina, or bothering to call the big lizards "Dewbacks", or whatever.

However, "Sith" existed right from day 1, along with knowing that Vader was thrown into a volcano by Obi Wan, and that the original (12) scripts included a second death star, and that Lucas referred to the whole arc of the story as "The Journal of the Whills".

I am ebarrassed to know all this and I am going to go outside and choke myself now.

#26 User is offline   Helena Icon

• Basher Extraordinaire
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Current age: 22<br /><br />Current occupation: Auditor<br /><br />Interests: Reading, computer games, music, and Star Wars (obviously).<br /><br />Talents: Can't act, can't dance, can sing a little.<br /><br />Loves: Terry Pratchett's 'Discworld' series.<br /><br />Hates: Harry Potter. Surely I can't be the only one?

Posted 10 January 2005 - 09:02 AM

Somehow I'm not surprised that the 'Grand Moff' thing was not explored any further.
The sandpeople had women and children. We know this because Anakin killed them how could he tell? The children might be smaller but I never saw a sandperson with breasts. Did they hike their skirts and show him some leg or something?

Also, I can see the point of wanting to kidnap a human and use her as a slave, but they didn't. They tied her to a flimsy easel for a month. It's assumed they had to feed and give her water. What for? Was she purely ornamental? I can understand them wanting the droids, you can sell those for a lot of money, but a chick who's only skills are finding non-existand mushrooms and getting randomly pregnant, you're not going to get much.

- J m HofMarN on the Sand People

#27 User is offline   Paladin Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 10 January 2005 - 10:32 AM

I think that Grand Moff is taken from Grand Mufti, which is a real rank in the Turkish government/noblility thing and it stayed all the way until after World War 2 in the Middle East.

#28 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 10 January 2005 - 11:40 AM

QUOTE (Paladin @ Jan 10 2005, 10:32 AM)
I think that Grand Moff is taken from Grand Mufti, which is a real rank in the Turkish government/noblility thing and it stayed all the way until after World War 2 in the Middle East.

And Padme is just a phonetic play on "handmaiden," dropping the last syllable. therefore, all the handmaidens had similar names. Padmaiden is padme. we also have "handme," "moonme," "chamberme," "formme," "ironme," and "chiname."

Not really. I just made that up.

#29 User is offline   Paladin Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 10 January 2005 - 09:03 PM

umm, what EXACTLY did you mean by that?

#30 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 10 January 2005 - 10:41 PM

I think that Grand Moff is taken from Grand Mufti,

"Padme" comes off like some cool name that required a lot of thought, but if you say "handmaiden" and leave off the last syllable, it sounds like "hand-may," or "handme." I'm sure the queen's attendants have special names. I was just suggesting they ALL had their names reduced of the last syllable. And I'd expect the same for the red guard.

Anyway. for example: Padmaiden is padme. we also have "handme (handmaiden,") "moonme (moonmaiden,") "chamberme (chambermaid,") "formme (this one's puzzling, I'll admit: Maidenform,") "ironme (Iron Maiden,") and "chiname (maid in china.")

ok, so it wasn't very funny. I got the idea from thinking that Padme is a decoy to take Anikan away from the action while the real queen, er senator, is working with Sidious and Dooku. (Now that would be clever.)

Lucas is pushing Darth around because he's the only one who can. Let's everyone know who's in charge.

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size