Chefelf.com Night Life: Domainage... - Chefelf.com Night Life

Page 1 of 1

Domainage... I know a-nothing

#1 User is offline   Chyld Icon

• Ancient Monstrosity
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team

Posted 27 December 2004 - 11:33 AM

OK, so while Less Is More has been quite a nifty venture, I'm thinking of splashing out and getting a doman name, maybe going the whole hog and setting myself up with a proper website, with webspace and all. I believe that my HTML skillz are sufficiently good (and if not, I can fall back on a HTML editor).

But first, considering that I'm a student, my budget is "Zero", possibly "Some Pennies I Saved In A Jar". Has anyone got any recommendations as to where I can get a sufficient wodge of free webspace for my strenuous update schedule, a webcomic or two, and maybe a forum under my own wings?

And I know there's not a masticated monkey's hope in hell of me getting a free domain name, so can anyone point me at the cheapest and most reliable domain name?

Finally, not that I intend to use them, but can anyone explain how the hell Frames work? I've been trying for years and totally failed...
When you lose your calm, you feed your anger.

Less Is More v4
Now resigned to a readership of me, my cat and some fish

#2 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 27 December 2004 - 02:07 PM

Use Godaddy.com. I've been using them for a couple of years after using four or five other companies. Godaddy BLOWS THEM AWAY. Their site management and service is second to none. It will cost you roughly $7 to $9 a year, USD.

IMPORTANT: IF YOU CAN FIND A REGISTRAR ELSEWHERE THAT WILL SELL YOU A DOMAIN NAME FOR CHEAPER DON'T DO IT!

Believe me when I tell you that it is not worth the savings of a couple of dollars a year to have your domain through a crappy registrar. I've gone through it and it's a nightmare. Everything goes through that registrar so if they want to make things difficult for you or screw you over they can and there is virtually nothing you can do about it.

I've recently completed the ULTRA shitty process of moving all my domain names over to Godaddy and things are FINALLY in order. I'm just sorry that some of my older domains (chefelf.com, lanceandeskimo.com) were through other companies so the process was a bit of a hassel.

Do NOT under any circumstance use Verisign/Network Solutions. They are possibly the worst company in the world.

I would use Godaddy even if they charged $50 a year. They're great.

Use Godaddy.com.
Use Godaddy.com.
Use Godaddy.com.
Use Godaddy.com.
Use Godaddy.com.
Use Godaddy.com.
Use Godaddy.com.
Use Godaddy.com.
Use Godaddy.com.
Use Godaddy.com.

Chefelf does not receive any compensation from Godaddy.com but he wishes he did.
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#3 User is offline   Chyld Icon

• Ancient Monstrosity

Posted 27 December 2004 - 07:50 PM

Sounds groovy, and at the equivilant of less than an English fiver a year, its hard to argue. Now I just need to think of a cool new doman name, since Less Is More and all its permutations are long gone. You use their webhosting, or slightly more free measures?

EDIT: Two problems I've forseen already. One, do they accept good ol' British Pounds? And two, do you need a credit card, or can I pay with, say, a cheque, Paypal, or debit card? Because there's no hope in hell I'm trusting myself with a credit card...

This post has been edited by Chyld: 27 December 2004 - 08:01 PM

Less Is More v4

#4 User is offline   Heccubus Icon

• Ugh.
  • Group: Head Moderator

Posted 27 December 2004 - 10:12 PM

I bought my domain through Godaddy. They're relatively inexpensive, and got my hosting through Mr. Chefelf hisself. Godaddy DOES require a credit card, but you must have a friend who has a card that you can paypal the money to.

#5 User is offline   Chyld Icon

• Ancient Monstrosity

Posted 28 December 2004 - 03:41 AM

...or fall back on that fine tradition of "borrowing the parents card and paying them back". I'm going to assume now that they do serve us Brits, since they do have .co.uk domains, and its a bit silly otherwise...

EDIT: At any rate, it seems I've sorted the "excessive volumes of free webspace" problem, some company called Heart Internet is offering 2500mb for nothing. Should I look yonder gift horse in the mouth?

This post has been edited by Chyld: 28 December 2004 - 03:55 AM

Less Is More v4

#6 User is offline   Heccubus Icon

• Ugh.

Posted 28 December 2004 - 08:41 AM

I would. That seems pretty iffy.

#7 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • Group: Admin

Posted 28 December 2004 - 10:26 AM

QUOTE (Chyld @ Dec 27 2004, 07:50 PM)
Sounds groovy, and at the equivilant of less than an English fiver a year, its hard to argue. Now I just need to think of a cool new doman name, since Less Is More and all its permutations are long gone.

Try this: http://oneacross.com...more&c0=&s=+Go+

You use their webhosting, or slightly more free measures?

As Hecc says he hosts through me. It's not free. There are free alternatives though.

EDIT: Two problems I've forseen already. One, do they accept good ol' British Pounds? And two, do you need a credit card, or can I pay with, say, a cheque, Paypal, or debit card? Because there's no hope in hell I'm trusting myself with a credit card...

If you use Paypal they normally do all that conversion nonsense for you. smile.gif
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#8 User is offline   Chyld Icon

• Ancient Monstrosity

Posted 28 December 2004 - 02:06 PM

You mean they do PayPal? That'd be hell more easy for me, having actually set up a damned account and all. And the search for a host goes on...

At any rate, it seems that less-is-more.co.uk is still avaliable, so that may be a route I take...

Less Is More v4

#9 User is offline   Chyld Icon

• Ancient Monstrosity

Posted 30 December 2004 - 12:12 PM

OK, so I've found some webspace at last, and I've started coding the HTML for Less Is More v2.0 (as it shall be known). So to save cluttering up the board with me being stupid and not knowing how to code dead complex things, I'm sticking my hopeful questions here.

Can anyone tell me how to do that random image generation thing, please? By that, I mean whatever piece of nifty code it is that randomly generates a banner out of a list of several, complete with a link to the appropriate website (a la the top of Heccubus' page). I'm sure I've been told before, but the last page I made from straight HTML was about six years ago, and I was young and less impressionable...

Less Is More v4

#10 User is offline   Ninja Duck Icon

• Cheer up, emo duck.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 30 December 2004 - 01:14 PM

QUOTE (Chyld @ Dec 28 2004, 12:50 AM)
Sounds groovy, and at the equivilant of less than an English fiver a year, its hard to argue. Now I just need to think of a cool new doman name, since Less Is More and all its permutations are long gone.

If I recall correctly, dotcomkid.ws isn't taken.

I think Heccubus uses some scary PHP for his random image, but this page has an example of how to randomize things in JavaScript.

#11 User is offline   Chyld Icon

• Ancient Monstrosity

Posted 30 December 2004 - 01:35 PM

Well, here's hoping that works works with image tags and link tags. Either way, ta muchly for the pointyness!

I never did sign up for Lewgossets army, did I?

This post has been edited by Chyld: 30 December 2004 - 01:45 PM

Less Is More v4

#12 User is offline   Chyld Icon

• Ancient Monstrosity

Posted 03 January 2005 - 12:59 PM

Right, another one, that's probably quite easy, but I'm not sure.

How do you get rid of the borders on images that signify its a (visited) link? Such as circled below?

Is it simply a matter of using the <font> tag on it, or is there something that involves less defiling of my nice wodge of HTML code?

Less Is More v4

#13 User is offline   Heccubus Icon

• Ugh.

Posted 03 January 2005 - 01:45 PM

I add "border=none" into my image tag. It does the trick, as far as I can tell. The only problem is that I don't always test in multiple browsers before I post new material, so I sometimes forget to get rid of the borders, and then it looks all cruddy. I might be doing it wrong though, my HTML is very shoddy and patched together.
As far as the random image thingy, IM me sometime and I can try to explain it. Nate showed me how to do it for my banners, but I have the basics of the function figured out now.

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size