Chefelf.com Night Life: 44% of Americans Against Freedom - Chefelf.com Night Life

Crappy News Forum

This is a REPLY ONLY form. Only Crappy News Moderators can post news topics here. Anyone is free to reply to the news topics. It's the Crappy News Forum, where everyone's a winner!

• (2 Pages)
  • +

44% of Americans Against Freedom Sunday, December 19, 2004

#1 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 19 December 2004 - 12:47 PM

Nearly half of those surveyed say some rights should be restricted
Andrew Locke / MSNBC.com file
The Associated Press
Updated: 9:57 p.m. ET Dec. 17, 2004

A recent survey by Cornell University found that found 44 percent of Americans favor at least some restrictions on the civil liberties of Muslim Americans. Forty-eight percent said liberties should not be restricted in any way.

ITHACA, N.Y. - Nearly half of all Americans believe the U.S. government should restrict the civil liberties of Muslim-Americans, according to a nationwide poll.

The survey conducted by Cornell University also found that Republicans and people who described themselves as highly religious were more apt to support curtailing Muslims’ civil liberties than Democrats or people who are less religious.

'Disturbing news'
Researchers also found that respondents who paid more attention to television news were more likely to fear terrorist attacks and support limiting the rights of Muslim-Americans.

“It’s sad news. It’s disturbing news. But it’s not unpredictable,” said Mahdi Bray, executive director of the Muslim American Society. “The nation is at war, even if it’s not a traditional war. We just have to remain vigilant and continue to interface.”

The survey found 44 percent favored at least some restrictions on the civil liberties of Muslim Americans. Forty-eight percent said liberties should not be restricted in any way.

The survey showed that 27 percent of respondents supported requiring all Muslim-Americans to register where they lived with the federal government. Twenty-two percent favored racial profiling to identify potential terrorist threats. And 29 percent thought undercover agents should infiltrate Muslim civic and volunteer organizations to keep tabs on their activities and fund-raising.

Cornell student researchers questioned 715 people in the nationwide telephone poll conducted this fall. The margin of error was 3.6 percentage points.

37 percent believe terrorist attack likely
James Shanahan, an associate professor of communications who helped organize the survey, said the results indicate “the need for continued dialogue about issues of civil liberties” in a time of war.

While researchers said they were not surprised by the overall level of support for curtailing civil liberties, they were startled by the correlation with religion and exposure to television news.

“We need to explore why these two very important channels of discourse may nurture fear rather than understanding,” Shanahan said.

According to the survey, 37 percent believe a terrorist attack in the United States is still likely within the next 12 months. In a similar poll conducted by Cornell in November 2002, that number stood at 90 percent.

© 2004 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6729916/

What was it that Thomas Jefferson wrote in the Declaration of Independence?

Oh yes: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal. However, if certain men shall choose to worship Allah, said men should not be allowed the same freedom as more Christian, whiter men."

Oh, T.J., You were so ahead of your time.
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#2 User is offline   Chyld Icon

• Ancient Monstrosity
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team

Posted 19 December 2004 - 04:31 PM

*slaps his forehead, and collapses from the gross stupidity emnating from the article*
When you lose your calm, you feed your anger.

Less Is More v4
Now resigned to a readership of me, my cat and some fish

#3 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 19 December 2004 - 05:46 PM

The survey showed that 27 percent of respondents supported requiring all Muslim-Americans to register where they lived with the federal government. Twenty-two percent favored racial profiling to identify potential terrorist threats. And 29 percent thought undercover agents should infiltrate Muslim civic and volunteer organizations to keep tabs on their activities and fund-raising.

ah, that should come in handy for picking out all those white terrorists that drop out woodwork...

secondly, it reminds me of X-Men...

#4 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

• Knows All The Girls Named Lola
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Tyranny

Posted 19 December 2004 - 05:50 PM

So let me get this straight....

The US' invasions in which hundreds of thousands have been slaughtered are called "Enduring freedom" and "Iraqi freedom".

Half of the US is in favor of putting muslim Americans in concentration camps, to protect freedom.

If I speak out against these things than I am against freedom.

Why didn't they bother to tell Martin Luther king about this? I think he'd have marched right back to Selma and told everybody-

DOWN WITH FUCKING FREEDOM!

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.
- Deucaon toes a hard line on gay fetus rights.

#5 User is offline   Chyld Icon

• Ancient Monstrosity

Posted 20 December 2004 - 12:32 PM

If I got all of America together, and shouted at them "I told you this sort of fucking thing would happen if you voted in Bush again, you cretins!", the people it would be aimed at would be too stupid to pay attention, and probably go back to burning a few evil towel-heads. And I'd probably offend the ones who actually give a piss about the rest of the world.

You can't win, can you?

Less Is More v4

#6 User is offline   Ninja Duck Icon

• Cheer up, emo duck.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 20 December 2004 - 04:07 PM

The only way to win is to not play.

#7 User is offline   Chyld Icon

• Ancient Monstrosity

Posted 20 December 2004 - 04:28 PM

But in this case, telling the people who can actually make rational decisions not to play is taramount (sp?) to throwing grenades at your favourite football team in the hope that they'll win...

Less Is More v4

#8 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 20 December 2004 - 04:32 PM

geez chyld, go easy on the voters there...
you know half of them were dead at the time they voted... so they probably were'nt in the best frame of mind...

pirate.gif

#9 User is offline   Chyld Icon

• Ancient Monstrosity

Posted 20 December 2004 - 06:23 PM

You love that pirate smily, don't you? biggrin.gif

Less Is More v4

#10 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man

Posted 20 December 2004 - 08:34 PM

pirate.gif

i'm just getting so much milage out of it...

and it kind of looks like me...
(on the inside)

#11 User is offline   Hannibal Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Former Members

Post icon  Posted 20 December 2004 - 10:02 PM

After having recovered fully, I now bow to George Bush and Donald Rumsfeld, as well as Chefelf, Hoffmarn and the others, I happily say: Yeah, Fuck Freedom, who needs it. On with the microchips and mass murder!

"Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities also has the power to make you commit atrocities."
~ Voltaire (1694-1778)

Enjoy this Tribute to Nazism...(Mp3)

#12 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

Posted 21 December 2004 - 01:56 AM

Picture... So... pointless... Accusation... that... Chefelf... is... fascist... so... nonsensical... Brain... shutting... down...

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.

#13 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man

Posted 21 December 2004 - 02:15 AM

pirate.gif

#14 User is offline   Chyld Icon

• Ancient Monstrosity

Posted 21 December 2004 - 04:00 AM

The day I find any reasonable evidence for Cheffers and Hoffers being actual, proper facists is the day I stick jelly in my ears and run down the road wearing nothing but socks...

Less Is More v4

#15 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

Posted 21 December 2004 - 04:20 AM

But there IS evidence Chyld. Pictures don't lie. And that picture of a barbie doll riding the back of a plummeting car clearly proves it. I don't want to ruin Chefelf's defense for him but as for myself I can't produce anything to refute that. Clearly I am a fascist, the Bob's big boy figurine in the corner proves it.

Edit: Oh wait, you said reasonable evidence, nevermind, I thought you meant you'd accept any completely innapplicable image as evidence.

This post has been edited by J m HofMarN: 21 December 2004 - 04:23 AM

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size