Chefelf.com Night Life: I actually enjoyed Val Kilmer as Batman - Chefelf.com Night Life

Page 1 of 1

I actually enjoyed Val Kilmer as Batman Is that wrong?

#1 User is offline   Lord Aquaman Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Movies, comic books, some mythology... basically anything that's larger than life.

Posted 16 December 2004 - 08:17 AM

Wherever I go, whenever I discuss the Batman films and I say I liked Val Kilmer as Batman, I'm usually told to burn in Hell. I never said he was the best (even though the late Batman creator Bob Kane thought he was the best), I never said he was better than Michael Keaton, I simply said I liked him in the role of Batman. Considering all the problems "Batman Forever" had, I thought Val came across rather well considering that he had to say some pretty crappy lines ("It's the car, right? Chicks love the car.") and being surrounded by giant, phantasmagorically cartoonish neon imagery.

So is it really wrong to enjoy Val Kilmer in the role of Batman?
I am the Fisher King.

I'd like a qui-gon jinn please with an obi-wan to go.

#2 User is offline   Vwing Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 17 December 2004 - 03:56 PM

You're not alone. I liked him too. I think he did a great job with the character, he wasn't over-the-top like he could've been, he was emotion and introspective when he needed to be. I thought he was very good, up there with Keaton. Bale'll be the best though.

#3 User is offline   Jane Sherwood Icon

• Hello Master
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Far too many to list in this tiny space...

Posted 17 December 2004 - 05:24 PM

Funny thing, I just watched Batman Forever last night and for the most part rather enjoyed it. I'm not overly familiar with the whole story of Batman or the movies (after all this time, I don't think I've ever seen the original all the way through from beginning to end even once - a problem I wish to rectify as soon as possible), so I don't know the proper way to judge and compare them or the actors who've played Batman. I wasn't even paying much attention to that, really, I mainly started thinking "So that's what happened to Robin!" or "So that's why his costume's so bright and colorful!" or even thinking about how much I liked Jim Carrey and Tommy Lee Jones's performances as The Riddler* and Two-Face (although, I didn't figure Two-Face was suppose to be that energetic). Then again...I just really like delightfully mad villains and Jim Carrey.

One thing I do know, I remember absolutely adoring Batman Returns when I was little, and watching it dozens upon dozens of times. So that one's always going to have a special place with me.

*I liked the whole "disgruntled hero-worshiping employee" backstory. Even after he went evil it was still there for the most part...I liked that.
Check out my crappy drawings!

Chyld is an ignorant slut.

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space; I'm a loony, for God's sake!"
- Campbell Bean (David Tennant), Takin' Over the Asylum, 1994
XD

#4 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 18 December 2004 - 03:03 AM

I thought the Riddler lacked riddles. I like riddles.
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#5 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 December 2004 - 04:47 AM

The problem with Batman Forever is that it just went over the top and became stupid. It was a fun ride but I think in the end, it was killed by Jim Carey and those DAMN BRIGHT COLOURS!

However, while Val Kilmer wasn't as good as Michael Keaton, I liked him too. And Chris O'Donnel was good to have around as Robin.

One last thing... Jane, you are completely and utterly insane. Batman Returns was a dreadful, dreadful sorry excuse of a film.

See here for more information.

#6 User is offline   Lord Aquaman Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Movies, comic books, some mythology... basically anything that's larger than life.

Posted 18 December 2004 - 05:16 AM

QUOTE (Just your average movie goer @ Dec 18 2004, 02:47 AM)
The problem with Batman Forever is that it just went over the top and became stupid.  It was a fun ride but I think in the end, it was killed by Jim Carey and those DAMN BRIGHT COLOURS!

However, while Val Kilmer wasn't as good as Michael Keaton, I liked him too.  And Chris O'Donnel was good to have around as Robin.
One last thing... Jane, you are completely and utterly insane.  Batman Returns was a dreadful, dreadful sorry excuse of a film.

See here for more information.

I think they made "Batman Forever" all bright and colorful in response to the utter darkness and despair of "Batman Returns". While "Returns" was no classic, I believe "Batman & Robin" was worse. Even if Val Kilmer HAD come back for B&R it would have still been bad.

Sam Raimi asked Warner Brothers to let him direct "Batman Forever" but they turned him down 'cause he was a little known director who's only big credits included the Evil Dead trilogy and "Darkman".

The Batman comics are kind of dark, so a lot of fans look down their noses at "Forever" and "Batman & Robin" on account of the neon lighting and humor.
I am the Fisher King.

#7 User is offline   Jane Sherwood Icon

• Hello Master

Posted 18 December 2004 - 11:52 PM

Hey, I was a little kid when I first saw it! Probably only about six or seven years old (if I'm thinking of the right date), and it's been about eight years since I last got to see it...which is exactly why I went out and rented it and the original tonight. I just got finished watching the first one, and I have one overall thing to say about it:

All hail Michael Keaton.

HAIL, I SAY!

And the Joker rocks.

I have a strange temptation to check out what the cartoons were like, simply from the fact that I've heard they're actually pretty cool, and they have a whole lot of the Joker. And the Joker is cool.

This post has been edited by Jane Sherwood: 18 December 2004 - 11:55 PM

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space; I'm a loony, for God's sake!"
XD

#8 User is offline   Jane Sherwood Icon

• Hello Master

Posted 19 December 2004 - 02:43 AM

I just finished watching Batman Returns again.

Verdict: I still love it. And I don't care what you say against it, I LOVE IT.

That's a funny thing - sometimes I just love movies most people hate, and hate movies most people love.

XD

#9 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 19 December 2004 - 03:30 AM

I liked Jim Carrey's job on Batman. I think what killed the movie was the overall direction of the film. It was riding on dark and campy at the same time. It failed miserably. The dark campy superimposed itself all over the dark and dangerous aspects. I think it was a throw back to the 1960's TV series. It's a damn shame

This new Batman seems promising.
Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#10 User is offline   Lord Aquaman Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 December 2004 - 09:57 AM

QUOTE (Jordan @ Dec 19 2004, 01:30 AM)
I think what killed the movie was the overall direction of the film.  It was riding on dark and campy at the same time.  It failed miserably. The dark campy superimposed itself all over the dark and dangerous aspects.  I think it was a throw back to the 1960's TV series.  It's a damn shame

Jordan, you really hit the nail on the head. thumbsup.gif
I am the Fisher King.

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size