Page 1 of 1

The Shins Lost faith in new Bands?

#1 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 16 January 2005 - 10:22 AM

I recently watched Garden State. Among being a great movie, it also has a kick ass sound track. One group that has a couple songs on the soundtrack, and was also shamlessly plugged in one scene by Natilie Portman, is the Shins.

These guys are amazing. They have a nice soft style like Weezer. Their guitar and hooks are sort of a throw back to 60's indie rock.

Three songs I highly reccommend to you people are

New Slang
Caring is Creepy
Saint Simon

In the past 6 years, only a couple new groups have actually caught my attention. The Muse, The White Stripes, and The Shins. These guys are giving me faith in music again! Everything else I pump is mostly bands from the early to mid 90's (my golden years) various 80's artists as well. I've been so hard up for new sounds I've been going back to the 70's and listening to a lot of classic rock that I missed. I never had to go back that far before because the 90's gave birth to so many great rock bands.

It's pretty sad when you're forced to go back 30 years in search of talent since the current bands such shit. Shins are another tiny light in a day and age when music is by and large shit at the bottom of the barrel. All hail to the shins.

http://www.rollingst.../43306/theshins

This post has been edited by Jordan: 16 January 2005 - 10:24 AM

Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#2 User is offline   jariten Icon

• making the nature scene
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 January 2005 - 01:05 AM

Not sure about the Weezer comparison but I totally agree. I`d also like to add the song `mines not a high horse` to Jordans list.

"after that confrontation, you left me ringing my cold hands. We shared some information we might not recover from"

yaaa!!!!

#3 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 23 January 2005 - 01:56 PM

Really, you don't think they have similar sounds to Weezer? "island in the sun" and "photograph" are popular Weezer songs that sound like they could've been produced by the SHINS.

Jariten, are you listening to them in Japan (or was it Korea)? Do they have a following there?
Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#4 User is offline   jariten Icon

• making the nature scene
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 January 2005 - 11:33 PM

Its Japan! I saw both the albums in HMV, and when `Chutes too Narrow` was released it had its own little section in Tower records, so someone must be buying them! So theyre known then, but not really popular. I still dont think theyve toured here yet either. I`m still not 100% sure about the Weezer thing, but thinking about it, I know what you mean.

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size