• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • « First

Its Official LoTR Best Trilogy Ever

#61 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 05 January 2004 - 09:26 AM

If you can't beat em...

Sorry everyone, I just had another lame idea. You know how classics are constantly being reintroduced every so often? (Dickens' A Christmas Carol, for example) How about a Lord of the Rings (official) version, using the star wars characters. Now that would HAVE to be the Ultimate trilogy of all time, wouldn't it? smile.gif

#62 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 05 January 2004 - 05:10 PM

How about Celebrity Poker, with the actors from the two series, playing poker IN CHARACTER? Denethor could be all wizened and covered in the grey hair, with Grima making all of his bets for him. "Great tv that would be," says Yoda, "and for charity it is!"
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#63 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself

Posted 05 January 2004 - 08:30 PM

I'd watch. are you familiar with the 70's "battle of the network stars?" it was a kinda like a live action version of (same era) hanna-barbara's "laff a-lympics." I'd watch.

I would relish any and every opportunity to see those prequel characters GO DOWN, MAN. (and yes, that includes a viewing of Ep 3)

#64 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 January 2004 - 09:23 PM

QUOTE (Despondent @ Jan 5 2004, 08:30 PM)
I'd watch. are you familiar with the 70's "battle of the network stars?" it was a kinda like a live action version of (same era) hanna-barbara's "laff a-lympics." I'd watch.

I would relish any and every opportunity to see those prequel characters GO DOWN, MAN. (and yes, that includes a viewing of Ep 3)

Oh man, I loved those specials. I felt sorry for the teams that had to go up against Lou Ferrigno in the tug-o-war.

You've raised a good question, sort of. Why aren't those specials ongoing? So many tv shows out now have young, athletic stars, and people love seeing celbrities out of their element (their element being pretending to be other people). So of course we'd watch.

And if they could take it up to film stars, like prequel vs LOTR, wow, what a contest. I think I'd favour the LOTR dudes, however; more physical types there, overall.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#65 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself

Posted 06 January 2004 - 10:02 AM

QUOTE (civilian_number_two @ Jan 5 2004, 09:23 PM)
and people love seeing celebrities out of their element

Yes it's entertaining. Exception being their element is quality drama and they're stuck reading Lucas dialogue.

I suppose a chess match would be doable. Using official licensed products of course.

those custom chess sets you know? I think the first real popular one was the franklin mint civil war chess set? quality there. I'm not crazy about the ones that really suffer creative-wise. (Simpsons chess with red homer family v blue homer family. wouldn't mr. burns/smithers make a better opposing king/queen?)

#66 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 January 2004 - 05:55 PM

QUOTE (Despondent @ Jan 6 2004, 10:02 AM)
I'm not crazy about the ones that really suffer creative-wise. (Simpsons chess with red homer family v blue homer family. wouldn't mr. burns/smithers make a better opposing king/queen?)

Exactly. All you need to distinguish the pieces is colour and size, so the one side has blue bases, and the other side red. After that, you could make all the pawns children - Springfield has enough children to make up a set for each side - and all of the other pieces could be adults. No need to have sixteen pawns all based on the same Bart Simpson figure.

Off the top of my head (following your suggestion):
Blue King/Queen: Homer, Marge
Blue Bishops: Otto/ Willie
Blue Knights: Itchy/Scratchy
Blue Rooks: Krusty/Sideshow Mel
Blue Pawns: Bart, Lisa, Maggie, Millhouse, Ralph, Martin, Janey, Uter

Red King/Queen: Burns, Smithers
Red Bishops: Skinner, Edna
Red Knights: Worker/Parasite
Red Rooks: Sideshow Bob/His brother (Cecil?)
Red Pawns: Rod, Tod, Nelson, Jimbo, Kearney, Dolph, Sherri and Terri

And that's leaving out all sorts of great characters, like Moe, Barney, Lenny and Karl, Lionel Hutz, the Comic Store Guy, Patty and Selma, Professor Frink, the one-armed guy, Grandpa Simpson, Maude and Ned Flanders, Apu, Manjula, Chief Wiggum, Mayor Quimby, Rev Lovejoy, Cletus, Kent Brockman, Troy McClure, Rainier Wolfcastle, Dr Hibbert, Dr Nick, Dr Marvin Munroe, Kang and Kodos, and I'm sure scores of others I haven't thought of.

They definitely dropped the ball with Simpsons chess.

So: What would LOTR vs OT chess look like?

#67 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself

Posted 06 January 2004 - 07:48 PM

OT...hmmm,
offfa toppa meesum head:

King
Aragorn v Luke

Queen
Arwen v Leia

Bishop
Gandalf v Obi-wan

Bishop
Elrond v Yoda

Knight
Frodo v Han

Knight
Sam v Chewie

Rook
Pippin v r2d2

Rook
Merry v c3po

pretty obvious choices. thought yours were pretty good. liked the Itchy/Scratchy parallels, Cecil and SS Bob. pawns? I guess all the other Lotr good guys with speaking parts. OT pawns could be done similarly. or elves vs ewoks. the bad guys LOTR v OT would be interesting. Good guys? I'd prefer prequels though, because I'd like to see Tolkein win in a slaughter fest. cool.gif thoughts?

#68 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 January 2004 - 08:07 PM

Ok. You know, I had meant to ask for ideas on PT vs Tolkien. I guess some sort of mental block made me type "OT" instead.

Anyway, good picks on both sides.

I'm a little disadvantaged with the PT, not having seen AOTC, but I think I've heard enough about it. Anyway, there aren't any new heroes, are there?

King: Anikin (adult)
Queen: Amidala
Bishops: Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon
Knights: Mace, Yoda
Rooks: Naked 3P0, Jet boot R2
Pawns: Gungun or Naboo troops. Or Clones from AOTC.

For the all LOTR set, your good guys vs
King: The Eye of Sauron
Queen: Shelob
Bishops: Saruman, Grima
Knights: Two randomly selected non-witch-king Nazgul (on horse)
Rooks: Uruk-Hai
Pawns: Orcs

Hmm. It's not as easy as Simpsons chess. Springfield has so many more characters.

#69 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself

Posted 06 January 2004 - 11:26 PM

QUOTE (civilian_number_two @ Jan 6 2004, 08:07 PM)
Rooks: Naked 3P0, Jet boot R2

laugh.gif

Wise pics. But if you put jar jar on the board you GET to slay him. Oh- I see gungans now. never mind. Whatever, it would be interesting to play these scenarios out. Put some art project time to it and it's doable. I'm thinking sculpey clay, but 2-d art would be sharable over the 'net.

I picked up a SW insider mag the other day and of course they advertise those game cards (and everything else -sigh-) Any experience with those? any more "fun" than, say, Uno? with that being a one dry.gif and full-blown D&D a ten on a scale, where does the thrill level fall? I'm not really interested in playing (buying numerous card decks) just curious.

Yes Springfield does have so many more characters. Endearing to the heart, introduced one by one. Loved by all who invest interest. Whereas Lucas just keeps shoveling out soulless characters. That doesn't mean I'll give a damn what their names are.

#70 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 07 January 2004 - 01:48 AM

I think the Witch King should be in there. Also the rooks should be tree ents.

Make the necessary revisions as stipulated above and get back to me asap ok? Good man
Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#71 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself

Posted 07 January 2004 - 09:30 AM

y'know I was thinking maybe the rooks could represent the two towers? Sauron aside of course. (physical resemblance, that's all)

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • « First

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size