Star Wars Fan Convention

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Do clothes make the women? A Star Wars wardrobe observation/rant

#1 User is offline   Lord Aquaman Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Movies, comic books, some mythology... basically anything that's larger than life.

Posted 06 December 2004 - 02:15 PM

In the original trilogy, the characters all wore fairly ordinary clothes/costumes, most likely because of budget constraints, or maybe because of some artistic idea that these Rebel characters from outer space were trying to keep a low profile. I read once that once, that the characters dressed plainly because they didn't want to attract attention to themselves.

1) Luke wears a white tunic with sandy beige pants for the majority of ANH, a gray shirt with gray pants for the majority of ESB (with the ice planet gear and occasional muscle shirt thrown in for good measure), and primarily wears black throughout ROTJ. Oh, and at one point or another he wore the orange Rebel pilot gear in all three films and once disguised himself as a storm trooper (did anyone notice that the black hood and robe he wears when he enters Jabba's palace in ROTJ makes him kind of look like the Emperor?).

2) Han Solo generally wore white shirts black vests or a dark blue jacket, black boots, blue dockers with red stripes on the side or brown dockers with yellow stripes on the side. And, like Luke, he once disguised himself as a storm trooper.

3) Princess Leia primarily wore white throughout the first two films (sign of virginity?). She wore a white dress in ANH, a white jumpsuit for most of ESB [briefly wore what looked like a brown dress], started off with a stolen bounty hunter costume then wore almost nothing for about 15-20 minutes in the 3rd film (I'd rather not think about what Jabba the Hutt might have done to her beyond the licking) and then branched out into some different military clothes and some stuff the Ewoks presumably stitched up for her (end of the virginity?).

4) Obi-Wan Kenobi wore homely a hooded brown robe, faded white & beige clothing with brown boots and a utility belt.

5) Chewbacca wore nothing except for the metal thing with the pouch he slung over his shoulder.

6) Lando Calrissian is introduced wearing a light blue tunic with dark blue dockers and a cape in ESB; for a brief moment at the end of the film, he can be seen wearing a white shirt with a black vest ala Han Solo. In ROTJ he is disguised as one of Jabba's guards and then gets a beige shirt with light blue pants and a gray cape for the assualt on the Death Star.

7) Darth Vader & the Emperor always wore black.

8) Those extras who were not Imperial officers, stormtroopers or Rebels all wore various different low budget costumes.

In the prequels, the bigger budget seems to equal a wider variety of wardrobe, at least for some characters, certainly for Padme Amidala (Natalie Portman) dry.gif. The Jedi - Obi-Wan, Anakin, Mace, Yoda and all the rest - have fairly simple wardrobes that consist of tunics, baggy pants, shin long boots, and homely robes with utility belts. The Senators all wear what look like extensions of the ceremonial robes worn by the Emperors of Greece, Rome and various French and English rulers. But then we get to Padme and her wardrobe is overly complex; she goes through a couple of different get ups in PM - most of which look like extensions of Japanese imperial stylings - and I was inclined to tolerate them because she was an "elected queen" (????), and there's a bit of a stigma that queens are required to have ridiculous wardrobes, yet she still has various wardrobe changes in AOTC where she is only a "senator", and you'd think a senator wouldn't have the same tailor as a queen. Aside from not looking very Japanese, one big difference in Padme's AOTC wardrobe is that almost all of it is either strapless, backless, gutless, or in some way serves to make her out to be almost every adolescent boy's romanticized ideal of a what a young woman should look and dress like - in this case, she is the romanticized ideal of Anakin Skywalker, the would be masochistic rapist/future tyrant of the universe. Even if Anakin is a psycho, how cruel is it to give him a speech on resisting forbidden love/lust when you're wearing leather? And she follows it up with a somewhat revealing, silky white nightgown. I mean, what is this woman trying to do to the future Vader? He's already unstable enough as it is, she's gotta flaunt being all shapely and cute around him?

Then for the desert scenes Padme's wearing white. Though it looks a bit more normal than her more ornate dresses, it kind of makes her stand out against all the beige of the desert and the darkness of the cave (Anakin blends in slightly better because he's wearing brown, albeit dark brown). Then her white clothes get torn at the gut and the back to show off her abs. After a while I kind of felt like George Lucas and his costumers were pushing too hard to make us find Padme attractive/beautiful/cute/sexy/desirable/lust-worthy or whatever.

Somehow I always thought the mother of Princess Leia would have had a more sensible and pragmatic/practical wardrobe. What say you all to this mindless rant? And if this was already covered in Chefelf's lists of reasons to hate the prequels, I'm sorry for wasting your time.
I am the Fisher King.

I'd like a qui-gon jinn please with an obi-wan to go.

#2 User is offline   Paladin Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 06 December 2004 - 02:25 PM

No it wasn't covered in Chiefelf's lists, although there HAVE been some rants and complaints about Amidala's clothes in the PM... she was vastly extravagent and looked more like a porcilen (misspelt) doll than a real person.

And how the hell can an ELECTED queen have such a massive outfit? Isn't it too lavish? Or at least too much for a supposedly elected 14 year old girl? blink.gif

#3 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 06 December 2004 - 10:36 PM

Great thread. and It's fresh material too.

Lando and the capes- that's interesting. there were some publicity shots of SW ('77) with Luke and a cape/poncho thing, maybe he donned such for a short scene that made the release.

What about those leather shoulder patches on the tatooine stormtroopers?

Not that I've considered this, but is Chewbacca the only main character (non droid) that doesn't wear pants? the ROTS preview; were the wookiees clothed there? Something seemed different. Planet of the apes! Maybe that's what that frame reminded me of.

Lucas wears flannel shirts right? has he always? That (authentic?) GL action figure had another kind of shirt I believe.

and love your AquAv, man.

#4 User is offline   Mad Rabbit Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip
  • Group: Junior Members
  • Interests:Movies, Reading, Drawing, Lots o' stuff.

Posted 07 December 2004 - 02:06 AM

An interesting observation Lord Aquaman, especially the observations about the loss of virginity, allow me to add my two cents.

I don't think Lucas has the capacity to think of something as subtle as a character's loss of virginity through the character's choice of wardrobe. He seems much more the type to use grandiose CGI effects to try and get that point across. However I think it's much more the fact he's a dirty old man. The reason Amadala was covered head to toe in TPM was the fact Natalie Portman was too young to show the goods. 3 years pass Natalie is a woman and bingo we have her dressing a Slutty McSluterton the mayor of Sluttown in AOTC.

You can see this pattern in the OT as well. The first two movies Carrie Fischer is completely covered then whammo Golden Bikini in the third.

So in the end, it's not about a loss of virginity, it's about George wanting to see his attractive stars walking around the set in skin type outfits on the set.

#5 User is offline   Hannibal Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Former Members

Posted 07 December 2004 - 02:30 AM

"Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities also has the power to make you commit atrocities."
~ Voltaire (1694-1778)

Enjoy this Tribute to Nazism...(Mp3)

#6 User is offline   jariten Icon

• making the nature scene
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 December 2004 - 03:50 AM

The costumes in the prequels were just a reflection of the more affulent time they were made in. Senators are rich. The Queen was rich (no it wasnt "too lavish", shes a queen!!). Farmboys and people living in the time of the Empire (which clearly had a presense everywhere) were not rich.

That TPM didnt get any kind of official recognition for the costumes/art dept is totally baffling.

#7 User is offline   HK 47 Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 07 December 2004 - 05:02 AM

So in the end, it's not about a loss of virginity, it's about George wanting to see his attractive stars walking around the set in skin type outfits on the set.

I agree. The simple explanation is usually correct when it comes to Lucas. From what I've read, the outfit he was by far most interested in himself was the white Padme outfit in AotC. The way it gets ripped off is just wrong, too cliché and too convenient, it's like a Britney video. Nothing wrong with the outfit itself though, feels Star Wars to me.

#8 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -

Posted 07 December 2004 - 07:06 AM

I disagree! Seeing Natalie Portman's midriff was one of the few redeeming features of an otherwise totally unenjoyable movie experience. wink.gif

#9 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 07 December 2004 - 09:25 AM

Well, the slap of gratuitous skin certainly stood out in an otherwise forgettable albeit digitally filmed run-on sentence.

#10 User is offline   Xombie Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 07 December 2004 - 09:41 AM

Attack of the Clones was a bad movie.
If Natalie Portman had been naked in it it would still have been a bad movie.
But...it would have been a better bad movie.

#11 User is offline   HK 47 Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 07 December 2004 - 11:12 AM

I disagree! Seeing Natalie Portman's midriff was one of the few redeeming features of an otherwise totally unenjoyable movie experience. 

Where did I say "I didn't like seeing Nat Portmans stomach"?
"Nothing wrong with the outfit itself though..." cool.gif

#12 User is offline   Madam Corvax Icon

• Buggy Purveyor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 December 2004 - 11:35 AM

QUOTE (jariten @ Dec 7 2004, 03:50 AM)
The costumes in the prequels were just a reflection of the more affulent time they were made in. Senators are rich. The Queen was rich (no it wasnt "too lavish", shes a queen!!). Farmboys and people living in the time of the Empire (which clearly had a presense everywhere) were not rich.

That TPM didnt get any kind of official recognition for the costumes/art dept is totally baffling.

Jariten, I understand your heavy irony. In TPM Natalie Portman is robed in the kind of outfits that I maniacally drew when I was like 6 or 7. I was drawing "princesses" then and they all had crinolines and headresses just like she had. It is every little girl fatasy to be dressed like that. But I grew out of this when I was twelve.

So I suppose Lucas made her dress like that to appeal to his target audience of slightly retarded 10-year-olds.

#13 User is offline   Paladin Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 08 December 2004 - 09:31 AM

QUOTE (Xombie @ Dec 7 2004, 09:41 AM)
Attack of the Clones was a bad movie.
If Natalie Portman had been naked in it it would still have been a bad movie.
But...it would have been a better bad movie.

If that had happened it would have been the ONLY good thing about the movie! And possibly the only good reason to watch it again!

#14 User is offline   Hannibal Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Former Members

Posted 09 April 2005 - 08:12 PM

This post has been edited by Hannibal: 09 April 2005 - 08:14 PM

"Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities also has the power to make you commit atrocities."
~ Voltaire (1694-1778)

Enjoy this Tribute to Nazism...(Mp3)

#15 User is offline   Lord Aquaman Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Movies, comic books, some mythology... basically anything that's larger than life.

Posted 10 April 2005 - 07:19 PM

QUOTE (Hannibal @ Apr 9 2005, 06:12 PM)

I thought this thread died quietly. I'm puzzled to see it back up again.

In response to an earlier post by Madam Corvax, I ask you, in all seriousness: do all little girls REALLY dream of princess-dom?

This post has been edited by Lord Aquaman: 10 April 2005 - 07:19 PM

I am the Fisher King.

I'd like a qui-gon jinn please with an obi-wan to go.

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size