Chefelf.com Night Life: George Lucas makes you an offer you can't refuse.. - Chefelf.com Night Life

Star Wars Fan Convention

Page 1 of 1

George Lucas makes you an offer you can't refuse.. Tempted by the Dark Side/Lucasfilm

#1 User is offline   Lord Aquaman Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Movies, comic books, some mythology... basically anything that's larger than life.

Posted 06 December 2004 - 01:43 PM

Pretend for a moment that you're a young screenwriter and you're just out of college (or graduate school, filmmaker's school, whatever) and you head out to California to seek your fortune. You have a screenplay for a movie and you start sending it out in hopes of a greenlight. Then, by some strange chance, your script makes its way to Lucasfilm where it is brought to the personal attention of Darth George Lucas. George Lucas reads your script, he likes your script, he unleashes his minions to find you and bring you before him, and he discusses taking your script and turning it into a film.

The moral dilemma - after what George has done to his own masterpiece with the special editions and totally dropping the ball with the prequel trilogy (if only in creating a convincing story/expansion of the original universe, if not in box office returns), should you take him up on his offer? Though he's made a fool of himself in recent years, he is still considered a quote unquote "filmmaker" to be reckoned with, and he has a giant production company empire that does his every bidding, which means that having him greenlight your project could possibly open doors to bigger and better things... unless of course he directs it and turns it into crap.

As an aspiring writer, I feel that I must hesitate if I am confronted by George Lucas with such a proposition. If he simply offers to produce it without directing it or having any real creative input, then I guess I'd be fine with it. If he says he wants to direct it, then I'd have a bit of a problem.

What say you all?
I am the Fisher King.

I'd like a qui-gon jinn please with an obi-wan to go.

#2 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 06 December 2004 - 01:59 PM

Would you let him raise your children?

#3 User is offline   Paladin Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 06 December 2004 - 02:28 PM

I wouldn't let him raise my children, but I think I would take the offer. As long as it pays good money... and when I rack up some good experiance, I'll just break away from him and go to some place else.

This is the world of work for a fresh grad -- you have to get any job you can, and hold it for a few years before other options can pop up.

#4 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

• Knows All The Girls Named Lola
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Tyranny

Posted 06 December 2004 - 08:52 PM

Now this is the kind of ethical dilemma I like to hate to puzzle over.

On the one hand, once you start down the dark path forever will it rule your destiny.

On the other there is the youthful optimism that tells me mistakes can be rectified and people redeemed.

There's the idea that doing something wrong will never come to any good.

But there's the idea that the ends justify the means...

There's the need for money

But money corrupts and so does George Lucas...

I think I'd trick him into making me an offer, hire an agent, then get counter-offers from other producers and turn him down in the end.

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.
- Deucaon toes a hard line on gay fetus rights.

#5 User is offline   jariten Icon

• making the nature scene
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 December 2004 - 04:01 AM

Wheres the dilemma in meeting one of the most powerful filmmakers in the world and getting a suitcase full of money and something impressive on your CV? Plus the chance to actually see Rick Macallum?

whats that? morals you say? yell.gif

the children thing on the other hand, now thats a tough one.

#6 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

• Knows All The Girls Named Lola
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Tyranny

Posted 07 December 2004 - 04:20 AM

Jariten- That's because you're already corrupted = )

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.
- Deucaon toes a hard line on gay fetus rights.

#7 User is offline   Mad Rabbit Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip
  • Group: Junior Members
  • Interests:Movies, Reading, Drawing, Lots o' stuff.

Posted 07 December 2004 - 04:43 AM

George Lucas may be a bastard, however I don't really think that taking him up on an offer for your script to be produced qualifies as selling your soul to the devil. The only problem I could see is that in promoting this movie they would definately be headlineing Lucas's name as the producer of the film with little or no regard of who the director is. Then again this could be a good thing if the thing is a flop. Regardless, I highly doubt any first time director's name is really going to be mentioned unless the film is a hit. Just look at Jaws, they didn't spout off Speilberg's name until the box office grosses went through the roof.

I myself don't see any ethical dilemma. You may not like what he has done to his movies, you may not like his seeming callous towards fans of his movies but this is a chance to break into the biz. Hollywood (from my very limited knowledge of it) seems to be a tough thing to break into, so I would probably jump at this kind of oppurtunity. You have to start somewhere. Besides, who said you had to stay under Lucas's wing after all is said and done. If you get the first project done, I'm sure other places would be more willing to greenlight other projects simply on the fact you had a previous body of work.

If anything else you could use the experience to write a nasty tell all book about what a horrible experience it was working for Lucas. Hell, I'd buy it.

#8 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 07 December 2004 - 08:21 PM

I don't understand the question. I am a screenwriter, and someone wants to buy my screenplay so he can direct it. What do I care WHO he is? I'm selling a screenplay!

Do you think Trantino cared when he sold TRUE ROMANCE to hack director Tony Scott?

Well, ok, he did, but Tarantino is a nerd. I would take the money and buy food and pay rent while I wroked on my next screenplay.

Hey Jariten: High five.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#9 User is offline   Vwing Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 07 December 2004 - 08:54 PM

Yeah seriously. Not to mention Lucas is extremely influential in the industry still, and if you get on his good side, then maybe he'll recommend you to, oh I don't know, Spielberg? Like Civ said, any offer from anyone, especially someone like that, you take. Immediately.

#10 User is offline   Lord Aquaman Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Movies, comic books, some mythology... basically anything that's larger than life.

Posted 09 December 2004 - 11:30 AM

I wonder what Chefelf and JYAMG would have to say about this...
I am the Fisher King.

I'd like a qui-gon jinn please with an obi-wan to go.

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size