Chefelf.com Night Life: Drawing the Line at comparisons - Chefelf.com Night Life

Star Wars Fan Convention

Page 1 of 1

Drawing the Line at comparisons Maybe Lucas saw Frosty

#1 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 03 December 2004 - 10:41 PM

I watched the holiday classic, “Frosty the Snowman” (animated, late 1960s?) earlier tonight and it was fun singing along and reacting as the kids do to Frosty and all. Gleefully. After the parade, they decide they need to get Frosty back to the North pole (for the sun was hot that day. Maybe you’ve heard the song.)

Anyway, luck would have it there was indeed a train headed to the North pole. And it’s loaded with Frozen Christmas Cakes!, so Frosty could be refrigerated on the way.

It’s loaded with Christmas Cakes, heading TOWARDS the North pole on Christmas Eve? I sense a plot hole here.

anyway, it’s a kid’s story, and a presentation of an Original edition that I remember from my childhood so I’ll let is slide. I just started to notice other plot devices that would later have Lucas’ fingerprints on them:

the magician’s rabbit tells the woodland creatures a story through his actions (threepio in jedi)

Mute Rabbit acts out his special language for a unique interaction where Frosty understands every word (Chewie grunts, Artoo beeps; Han and Luke know.)

Frosty melts, and we’re left with a puddle and a hat, and a sad child. (Luke’s in grief, focus on Kenobi’s cloak, floor.)

Santa appears on the scene, and explains all will be ok “heh heh-heh” (Yoda and Ben’s Jedi explanations.)

Santa to the villian: If you just be good, I’ll keep you on my good-side list.
Villian: calls himself an “Evil Magician” (force lightning, anyone?)

Frosty does indeed come back to life, and leads the sing-song, sappy, happy, ending.

And all the gang wave goodbye as

credits roll.

Just the way I'd remembered it.

#2 User is offline   Paladin Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 December 2004 - 04:58 AM

I always wondered WHY Jedi disappear when they die... and why they didn't disappear in the PT.

I guess it'll always be one of those unsolved mysteries of life.

#3 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -

Posted 04 December 2004 - 10:53 AM

Lucas is a moron who can't keep consistency in his films. Mystery solved.

#4 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself

Posted 04 December 2004 - 01:46 PM

QUOTE (Paladin @ Dec 4 2004, 04:58 AM)
I always wondered WHY Jedi disappear when they die... and why they didn't disappear in the PT.

I guess it'll always be one of those unsolved mysteries of life.

Then you ought to expect a tidy explanation in the third reel of ROTS dry.gif

#5 User is offline   Helena Icon

• Basher Extraordinaire
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Current age: 22<br /><br />Current occupation: Auditor<br /><br />Interests: Reading, computer games, music, and Star Wars (obviously).<br /><br />Talents: Can't act, can't dance, can sing a little.<br /><br />Loves: Terry Pratchett's 'Discworld' series.<br /><br />Hates: Harry Potter. Surely I can't be the only one?

Posted 05 December 2004 - 08:06 AM

You know, this gives me an idea for an amusing little exercise. Choose the most unlikely movie or TV show you can think of, such as It's a Wonderful Life or The Magic Roundabout, then write an analysis of how it could have influenced Lucas's work. As Hannibal proved to us, it's amazing how easy it is to find connections if you're really, really looking for them... wink.gif
The sandpeople had women and children. We know this because Anakin killed them how could he tell? The children might be smaller but I never saw a sandperson with breasts. Did they hike their skirts and show him some leg or something?

Also, I can see the point of wanting to kidnap a human and use her as a slave, but they didn't. They tied her to a flimsy easel for a month. It's assumed they had to feed and give her water. What for? Was she purely ornamental? I can understand them wanting the droids, you can sell those for a lot of money, but a chick who's only skills are finding non-existand mushrooms and getting randomly pregnant, you're not going to get much.

- J m HofMarN on the Sand People

#6 User is offline   Mad Rabbit Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip
  • Group: Junior Members
  • Interests:Movies, Reading, Drawing, Lots o' stuff.

Posted 06 December 2004 - 01:10 AM

You know, this gives me an idea for an amusing little exercise. Choose the most unlikely movie or TV show you can think of, such as It's a Wonderful Life or The Magic Roundabout, then write an analysis of how it could have influenced Lucas's work.
I love homework! Well I decided to write my report on how Lucas ripped off Scooby-Doo.

First we have Fred. Lucas obviously used him as the model for Han Solo, both are relatively cool under pressure, and don't beleive in bullshit. (In Fred's case he doesn't beleive in ghosts and in Han's case he doesn't believe in that mystic force mumbo jumbo.) Both take the role of leaders in their respective parties, Fred in the Mystery Machine and Han in the Millenium Falcon. (Holy Crap! Lucas based the Millenium Falcon on the Mystery Machine!) Even though they are both leaders, they tend to listen to the words of people much smarter then them. Which leads us to... Thelma.

Thelma was the basis for Obi-Wan's character. Even though Fred and Han may be the vocal leaders of their respective groups, it's really Thelma and Obi-Wan who know what the hell happening around them. Thelma uses her sharp mind and clue gathering know how to get to the bottom of what's going on and Obi-Wan uses his sharp mind and clairvoyance to get to the bottom of what's going on. Where Fred and Han are reactionary, Thelma and Obi-Wan are introspective.

Daphne was used as the basis for Chewbacca. Daphne as Chewbacca you ask? Yes, and here's the reason why, both are basically there to be used as decoys. In Daphne's case she needs to act like the helpless airhead she is to dupe the bad guys. In Chewbacca's case he's used as a decoy so Han and Luke can gain access to the detention block on the Death star.

Speaking of which Luke and Han dressing as stormtroopers to fool the baddies reeks of Scooby-Doo. How many times has the Scooby gang dressed in costume to fool the bad guys if only momentarily. Actually upon further inspection Luke and Han only fool the bad guys momentarily as well. Lucas have you no shame?

Next up is Shaggy, Shaggy is clearly the C3PO character, both show enormous amounts of cowardice yet wish to be helpful, even if their attempts at helping are comical at best. And even if they do manage to get something right, it's more of a mistake it worked out.

Scooby-Doo is the model for R2-D2, only Lucas got rid of Scooby's cowardice for R2's characer. Scooby is extremely brave when it comes to defending his friends or when given Scooby Snacks, this fanatical loyalty can be seen in R2. Also note C3PO and R2-D2 are joined at the hip, much like Shaggy and Scooby. Also another interesing thing to point out is, throughout all the different shows Scooby has put out through the years, Scooby and Shaggy are the only ones that have been in every incarnation. This can not be said for the other members of the Mystery Machine. C3PO and R2-D2 are also the only members to be in every theatrical Star Wars movie made.

Luke Skywalker's character is based on Scrappy Doo! Why you ask? Think about it! Both are young and headstrong and long for adventure. Both are also prone to fits of whining. Nuff said.

As for Leia she's probably based on Sandy Duncan, Cher or Don Knotts. Any of those guests that appeared on Scooby-Doo from time to time. You know the person who our heroes are supposed to save.

As far as Darth Vader goes he's Old Man Whithers who runs the Haunted Carnival. Remember we never see who's under the mask until the end of the show. And WE do get to see under Darth's Mask at the end of Jedi. The Death Star is of course the haunted carnival.

Damn! Darth would have gotten away with ruling the galaxy if it wasn't for those meddling kids!

#7 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

• Knows All The Girls Named Lola
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Tyranny

Posted 06 December 2004 - 05:35 AM

Guys come on, enough with this obscure crap. We all know that Lucas was a huge fan of Charles Dickens. This was documented in this article on a reputable news site.

The Anonymous Blonde's Erotic Science Fiction Is Not Finished
So, this publishing house that does erotic science fiction commissioned a serial epic from me. The idea was to weave a multi-layered, fascinating yarn that played with concepts of time, space, sex, and celebrity. I only had to give them a few pages for this week, but I was still too lazy to work on it. So I'm just sending them this:
H'ai-Morchorain, Cruse Medallious. The Year of Our Haeuma 44300

Colloidia turned restlessly among the butterfly-winged caftas of her puruhna. Could it be true that she was not fulfilling her wifely duties? Was it possible that a female with such passion, who had possessed since her earliest youth that elusive quality the Elderchai called Fierloin, who had been trained in the art of Fak-wrestling and erotic acoustics, who had been infused with sex-vitamins and cocaine since she left her mother's outer tubules, whose long and elephantine limbs gleamed with scales as brilliant and bewitching as the rays of Idaminon's seven moons, whose lips dripped with rare honeys and whose soft palate was covered with a slick film of hallucinogens, whose expressive toes had inspired countless oeptas to eviscerate their own children--was it possible that a female with these credentials could fail to please her life-cooker? And yet her puruhna remained empty, save for the wailing of a few wormwomen who had failed to find their way home after the last rain. And yet, despite the shame she felt, Colloidia found she did not miss the touch of her life-cooker's hands upon her, heavy as a brace of kinesthetic swamp-shallots. In fact, the thought of his prickly gamturnesses pressed against her own delicate muolf, his murky table-breaker enveloping her third growth, caused an ice-cold oil to rise up from the depths of her Castanini gland and douse her shivering body in a wave of disgust. There was nothing to do but take another sex-vitamin from a compartment in her skull and strap her three exposed neurons to the Ballakingetic sexual reactor that glittered sympathetically over her puruhna.
********************************************************************************

On the other side of the city, Colloidia's life-cooker, Bellephronusius, was squirming among the sweat-dampened Catliver rushes in search of wormwomen to fulfill his perverse desires. He had already inserted some half-dozen of the fragile creatures into the swollen veins that protruded from his forehead and his empurpled hands, and had a mouthful of others who were still quivering too much to be properly inserted. In the light of Idaminon's seven moons, the wormwomen looked like beautiful pustules on a face that did not deserve them. Believing that he was alone, Bellephronusius allowed himself a long draught of contraband Merkin-blood. "Life is good," he said, jamming a newly-stiffened wormwoman into his primary blood vessel.

But he was not alone. Among the citrus-colored stars that hovered above him, a small ship hummed and circled. From his command station inside the ship, Captain Kadaf'hir Delancey surveyed Bellephronusius' distinctive heat signature with disgust. Heaving a deep sigh, the Captain entered a few coordinates into a band on his wrist. Instantly, a shimmering Corpogram of Colloidia's naked body appeared before him, luisant with sex-vitamins and the guts of oeptas' eviscerated children. The Captain thought about what it would be like to delicately lave Colloidia's third growth. He momentarily forgot his rage and he sank into a dream of extreme pleasure.
********************************************************************************
Paris, the 1920s

[George Lucas was a big fan of Charles Dickens and stole his material frequently.]

Anais Nin and Henry Miller were going at it. "Won't it be great when we write a bunch of erotic fiction?" she said. "Uh-huh," he said. Then he said something unprintable. Then they started to write some beautiful erotic fiction, but this pervert told them it had to be less beautiful, and they were sad.

London, the 16th century.

Sir Francis Drake quivered like a bowlful of Jell-O under his queen's voluminous skirts. They were certainly voluminous, but he could still see that she wasn't wearing underwear. She was, however, wearing a big sandwich board that read, "I am no man's Elizabeth." Outside, he could hear the deceptively tender voices of the Spanish Armada. "Come on out, Francis," they said. "We won't hurt you this time, promise. Can't you see that we love you?" Then they said, "Francis, we miss the sound of your voice." Finally, they slipped a little teddy bear underneath the Queen's skirts. It was wearing a little T-shirt that said "Coed Naked Privateering" on it. It was very cute. "Francis," said the Spanish Armada, "This is our teddy bear Mr. Ruggles. He gives us advice."

The teddy bear was very cute, and the Spanish Armada sounded very nice. Sir Francis Drake didn't know what to do. He felt like a mule stuck between two equally delicious bales of hay. Finally, he decided to just hold onto his little pearl earring and softly weep. Under the Queen's skirts there was nothing but the wailing of some wormwomen.

Also, you cannot deny the photographic evidence. Here is a picture of Charles Dickens.

Now here is a close up of that same picture after I used my super image editing face recognition software to colorize and update it.

You might infer from this that I'm some crack pot who thinks that George Lucas ripped off Little Dorrit and turned it into "The Phantom Menace" Not at all gentle reader, not at all. I'm saying that George Lucas IS Charles Dickens. Just look at the article and pictures I provided they are proof. Has anyone ever heard of when Charles Dickens died or when Lucas was born? Of course not, because the person we know today as Lucas never was "born" except in the mind of Charles Dickens!!!

Now look at the original trilogy. This perfectly mirrors the events of "A Tale of Two Cities". London represents the rebellion. Paris represents the empire, the Jedi knights, who sat in tall towers while people starves (French nobles anyone?) were all killed by some crazy rebels who ran around drinking spilled wine and liked killing people- definately the Sith. And what about Sidney Carton? He's exactly like Vader, right down to his relation to the main character (well, Sidney looked like the guy whereas Vader was his father but Lucas had to do that so people wouldnt catch on) and of course Sidney and Vader are both killed in the end.

And what about the old man? Miss Manete and the banker find Dr. Manete cowering over a shoe in a dark PLACE. Luke and R2 find Yoda cowering over some food in a dark place. Coincidence? Perhaps Yoda and Manete were both imprisoned by the so-called "empire"? Of course this is most fitting because both of their imprisonments end when they are found by people from their past. What about the opening scrawl? "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times." If that dosnt sound like the opening from ESB I don't know what does.

And look at the underlying themes. Dickens/Lucas was used for sweatshop labor as a child. So many of his books contained disadvantaged abused youngsters escaping harsh reality and having happy endings- Luke destroying the empire after it killed his cruel and abusive fauster parents who never let him go because they wanted him to slave away "for the harvest" and Anakin, who finally was freed from his mother's tyranny in Watto's work house by the kindness of his mentor, who then also enslaved him and so he had to be killed in episode four.

And what about the Ewoks and Jawas(not to mention all his talk of midgets and the movie "willow") they represent children being disadvantaged as well. And the emperor is clearly a reference to Miss Havisham, and what he's "revenging" in ROTS is that Yoda jilted him on what was to be their wedding day. Follow me here and think about this. Havisham=old wrinkly and bitter and always acts creepy while trying to get young boy to play with her apprentice. Palpatine=old wrinkly and bitter and always acts creepy while trying to get young boy to play with his apprentice (And kill him). And the death star is round and wedding cakes are round also. How can this be coincidence?

Also I think Revenge of the Nerds may be involved. I mean it would explain the title of ep3. The Jedi, always beating up robots and smashing things and breaking stuff, represent the jocks whereas the Sith, who are generally pale and weak, represent the nerds. In ep3 they get their revenge on the Jedi for giving them wedgies all the time. However in e6 we see that Vader, with his large bulky robot suit, is clearly a jock as he easily bench presses the emperor and tosses him into a hole and then laughs before going off to sleep with some Endorian cheerleaders.

It is a far, far worse comparison I write than I have ever done. It is a far, far crazier theory I go to than I have ever known.

This post has been edited by J m HofMarN: 06 December 2004 - 05:43 AM

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.
- Deucaon toes a hard line on gay fetus rights.

#8 User is offline   Helena Icon

• Basher Extraordinaire
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Current age: 22<br /><br />Current occupation: Auditor<br /><br />Interests: Reading, computer games, music, and Star Wars (obviously).<br /><br />Talents: Can't act, can't dance, can sing a little.<br /><br />Loves: Terry Pratchett's 'Discworld' series.<br /><br />Hates: Harry Potter. Surely I can't be the only one?

Posted 06 December 2004 - 08:23 AM

laugh.gif Excellent! Mad Rabbit, that was actually quite scarily convincing - and J m, that was an excellent impression of a certain person we all know.
The sandpeople had women and children. We know this because Anakin killed them how could he tell? The children might be smaller but I never saw a sandperson with breasts. Did they hike their skirts and show him some leg or something?

Also, I can see the point of wanting to kidnap a human and use her as a slave, but they didn't. They tied her to a flimsy easel for a month. It's assumed they had to feed and give her water. What for? Was she purely ornamental? I can understand them wanting the droids, you can sell those for a lot of money, but a chick who's only skills are finding non-existand mushrooms and getting randomly pregnant, you're not going to get much.

- J m HofMarN on the Sand People

#9 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself

Posted 06 December 2004 - 12:36 PM

thanks for the spooky fun, Mad Rabbit. J m, I love you man but I have a short attention span. I'm missing out, I know sad.gif

#10 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

• Knows All The Girls Named Lola
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Tyranny

Posted 06 December 2004 - 06:58 PM

Despondent- That's really just some erotic science fiction that I inserted the words "George Lucas was a big fan of Charles Dickens and stole his material frequently" into. Whats important is that it looked big and reputable, and involved the insertion of wormwomen.

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.
- Deucaon toes a hard line on gay fetus rights.

#11 User is offline   Hannibal Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Former Members

Posted 06 December 2004 - 07:45 PM

You forgot the Wampa is the reincarnation of the 'abominable snowman' from the same show--you are speaking of the scary stop-motion animation figurine show right?

Anyway, george lucas is a genius, and you need to stop slandering the man. After all he is the most creative human being who ever lived for Christs sakes. whats wrong with you people always concocting these conspiracy theories? Fucking delusional morons. George Lucas was only imparting the holy knowledge of the Dharma to us, its not like he was peddling snake oil. you fucking americans are always trying to destroy those who work their way up to make millions...and call them liars. George Lucas should be nominated for the nobel prize and here you are making light of the classic that will be remembered for generations as perhaps the most divinely inspired work since the Bible! Shit, Star Wars should be up for consideration to be included in the Bible. Gawd! Wake up and smell the poodoo, Star Wars IS the future children! George Lucas will go down in history as the man who saved the world!
"Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities also has the power to make you commit atrocities."
~ Voltaire (1694-1778)

Enjoy this Tribute to Nazism...(Mp3)

#12 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself

Posted 06 December 2004 - 10:52 PM

QUOTE (Hannibal @ Dec 6 2004, 07:45 PM)
You forgot the Wampa is the reincarnation of the 'abominable snowman' from the same show--you are speaking of the scary stop-motion animation figurine show right?

You must be thinking of "Rudolph, the red-nosed Reindeer." (good point, I guess)

This was a friendly cartoon by Rankin-Bass. Frosty himself was not abominal in the least.

There was also a lame sequel which followed that I did not watch.

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size