Chefelf.com Night Life: Why The Empire Strikes Back is rubbish - Chefelf.com Night Life

Star Wars Fan Convention

• (8 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

Why The Empire Strikes Back is rubbish Becuse it really is

#31 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

• Knows All The Girls Named Lola
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Tyranny

Posted 28 November 2004 - 06:53 PM

Chefelf- A good point, but if one doesnt like the OT than what is there to enjoy about SW?

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.
- Deucaon toes a hard line on gay fetus rights.

#32 User is offline   use the force Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Former Members

Posted 11 December 2004 - 01:57 PM

Well if i made a made a list like yours I could do that to almost any movie ever made.

#33 User is offline   Lord Aquaman Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Movies, comic books, some mythology... basically anything that's larger than life.

Posted 11 December 2004 - 05:12 PM

What a load of crap.
I am the Fisher King.

I'd like a qui-gon jinn please with an obi-wan to go.

#34 User is offline   use the force Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 12 December 2004 - 12:09 AM

QUOTE (Lord Aquaman @ Dec 11 2004, 05:12 PM)
What a load of crap.

Is that refering to me or the original poster?

#35 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 December 2004 - 12:32 AM

I think it's referring to you because you said you could make a list like Chefelf's Reason to Hate Lists about any movie.

It's impossible to do that with The Empire Strikes Back. Not that it doesn't have flaws, stretches of logic and plot faults. I'm sure I could come up with a list of faults with the movie, no problem. I could probably come up with more faults than somebody who didn't like the film...

but I couldn't come up with anywhere near the amount of glaring flaws in the prequels.

The prequels are literally bursting at the seems with flaws and other rubbish.

#36 User is offline   use the force Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 12 December 2004 - 12:37 AM

Azerty, if I go down your list burning you on the things you said would you acknowledge your dumbness or just ignore it. And Hannibal stop spamming.

#37 User is offline   use the force Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 12 December 2004 - 12:42 AM

QUOTE (Just your average movie goer @ Dec 12 2004, 12:32 AM)
I think it's referring to you because you said you could make a list like Chefelf's Reason to Hate Lists about any movie.

It's impossible to do that with The Empire Strikes Back.  Not that it doesn't have flaws, stretches of logic and plot faults.  I'm sure I could come up with a list of faults with the movie, no problem.  I could probably come up with more faults than somebody who didn't like the film...

but I couldn't come up with anywhere near the amount of glaring flaws in the prequels.

The prequels are literally bursting at the seems with flaws and other rubbish.

One has already been made.(see page 1 of this thread)
Even though he doesnt make no sense and needs to watch the movie again

#38 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -

Posted 12 December 2004 - 12:59 AM

I've seen it. It's an interesting read, kind of fun... and a new perspective on the movie. Some of it's valid but a lot of it comes across as pointless.

Here look at this excerpt for example.

Luke attacks the walkers. "Echo station 5-7 we're on our way!" What is that supposed to mean? I thought Han Solo was Echo 7. And why would you "keep tight now"? Spread out you morons! One shot would take all of you out!

Lucky those speeders have "harpoons and tow cables." It might be our only hope of stopping them. What a load of bollocks. I guess that ion cannon that just shot down a star destroyer with a single shot, is no good. What about blowing up big pits in front of the walkers? Or since they only move at 1 mile an hour, just running up to them and chucking a grenade in the back door. Oh wait, Luke does that later...

"We've got a malfunction in fire control!" says Luke's co pilot. "Hang on Dack, just hang on! Get ready to fire that tow cable!" Did you not LISTEN, Luke, it is MALFUNCTIONING. HELLO! Dumbass. And even thought "that armor is too strong for blasters", lets have our boys in the trenches keep firing anyway. Energy is cheap, and so are our men. Maybe later we can send them over the top into the machine gun fire. "Don't worry chaps, I was a general at Verdun. I know what to do!!"

Oh, it's so amusing when Solo pounds the wall of the ship to get it to start. It's a starship! A precision instrument, but bang away! You know best. That little gun is stupid too. When did they install that? After Mos Eisley docking bay 94 I guess.

This is a lot different from having the main character as a total creepy asshole, having an entire film filled with unconvincing CGI or having plot holes you can fly a Star Destroyer through.

#39 User is offline   jariten Icon

• making the nature scene
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 December 2004 - 05:29 AM

you really could do a chefelf list for empire, and hope and obviously jedi too.

This is a lot different from having the main character as a total creepy asshole, having an entire film filled with unconvincing CGI or having plot holes you can fly a Star Destroyer through.

well but, the "creepy asshole" bit is a personal reaction to the film. As is branding the CGI "unconvincing". and i'm not sure what plot holes youre referring to. There were some damning complaints in the OP's post. As well as things unmentioned like How did Luke not even break a leg when falling from the underside of the AT AT (I watched it again yesterday and yes it was a long drop). Which you might consider to be pointless nitpicking. I would agree with that expect these are often exactly the same types of critisisms aimed at the PT (How did Anakin not rip his arms off when landing on the speeder? etc.) Its like accepting one thing with a blind eye then pushing away another for essentially doing the exact same thing.

Now dont get me wrong, I love Empire. Its still the best SW (at least until May), but to me the flaws in the OT are as damning as those in the PT.

#40 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

• Knows All The Girls Named Lola
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Tyranny

Posted 12 December 2004 - 06:47 AM

Luke fell from an AT AT going maybe ten miles an hour onto stationary, soft snow. He might have hurt his leg, who knows, but would it have made any difference to anything at all?

Anakin however fell unknown hundreds of feet from one moving object to another traveling what could only have been hundreds of miles an hour. Even "The Matrix" gets physics right. Remember during the car chase scene where someone flew off a tractor trailer and -gasp- did damage to a vehicle that hit them? (granted, normally it wouldnt have been the vehicle taking damage but they still made an effort) Not to mention that that pod should have been destroyed or knocked severely off course when a hundred and some pound object crashed into it. So I'd say thats a bit bigger than Luke's sprained ankle being ignored.

And here's another thing: how many unnecessary characters were there in the OT? Name one. Even in the apparently much lauded empire strikes back or ROTJ. But look at the PT: Qui Gon Jinn, Darth Maul, Mace Windu, That assassin chick, general grievous, jango and boba fetts, those cloner guys, shmi, watto, jabba, chewbaca, sebulba, (the whole point of them being on Tatooine at all was just so they could do that atrocious pod race scene) Not to mention the explaining and harping upon of unecessary concepts:

The chosen one, midichlorians, the rule of the two sith (which is only bad because it was never explained) the disappearance of that planet, the mysterious crap about the clone army, the various seperatists and rebels, the genocide on Naboo that we STILL don't know if it occured or not, the Gungans (an entire unecessary race) etc. Could they not have just skipped the entire nonsense with the Gungans and the planet core and gone straight to the capital of Naboo?

We have all these buzzers and whistles and shiny things and they've been placed on a rickety structure. I prefer a fairly simple movie with a few real characters and a discernable plot. When in human history has a scheme this zany ever worked?

"Ok, we'll get some people to blockade a small country for no reason. Once everyone freaks out about that (again for no reason) I'll be elected dictator. But before that I'll secretly build an army but not tell anyone. Then I'll hire an assassin to kill someone who dosnt want me to build the secret army I built but the assassin will get stopped and lead people to my army and then they'll find it and give it to me and then some more people will secede from the country and they'll kill all of my enemies and then I'll go in with my army and kick their asses but they won't die they'll come back and then I'll beat them again and then I'll be dictator."

Here's a plan by a villain who is not drunk: "Step one: Blow up that stupid-ass Jedi tower. Step two: Blame seperatists and form army. Step three: When seperatists attack, fight them and have self declared dictator."

The plot of ESB is understandable and yet interesting, neither of which can be said for the PT.

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.
- Deucaon toes a hard line on gay fetus rights.

#41 User is offline   jariten Icon

• making the nature scene
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 December 2004 - 08:30 AM

i'm sure neither of us wants to get into another tiresome back and forth but all those characters are necessary (and whats with bringing up characters from a film we havnt seen yet? or did you read Paladins mystery Episode 3 script too? tongue.gif ) and the plot is easily explained if you dont intentially go out of your way to rip it to pieces.

Lukes drop from the AT AT not only wouldve broke both legs, the fact that he landed directly onto his legs meant that there probably wouldve been some serious internal damage too. but no I wont let that spoil the film for me because theres stuff in all these like that that you just have to accept for the heroics in these films to work.

#42 User is offline   Xombie Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 12 December 2004 - 08:32 AM

Why all this hostility directed azerty's way?

He states a position (ESB is rubbish) and backs it up with a list of well thought out and amusing reasons. Agree or disagree. But man, the "why are you even here if you don't like the OT" response is lame.

Maybe he doesn't like the OT (For the most part, I don't) or maybe he likes it dispite (or because of) its silliness. Neither disqualifies him from being at and participating in a site whose claim to fame is having reasons to hate the series that came after the OT.

#43 User is offline   Lord Aquaman Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Movies, comic books, some mythology... basically anything that's larger than life.

Posted 12 December 2004 - 10:12 AM

I meant the original post that got this whole thread started. My bad.
I am the Fisher King.

I'd like a qui-gon jinn please with an obi-wan to go.

#44 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -

Posted 12 December 2004 - 11:55 AM

All this arguing is tiresome sometimes.

I think Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back are incredible. I think Return of the Jedi is a silly disappointing film. And I think the prequels are absolute trash of the smelliest order.

And no amount of arguing will change that.

Azerty just likes Star Wars and hates the rest of them.

And no amount of arguing will change that either.

Jariten likes them all, even the goddamn awful prequels, seeing some merit in them that eludes everyone else here.

And no amount of arguing will change that either.

sleeping.gif zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

#45 User is offline   use the force Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 12 December 2004 - 12:34 PM

The prequels rock guy with the boromir icon!!!!!

• (8 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size