Chefelf.com Night Life: Which System is Better? - Chefelf.com Night Life

• (5 Pages)
  • +

Which System is Better? GameCube, Playstation 2 or Xbox?

Poll: Which is the best system?

Which is the best system?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 23 December 2004 - 10:30 AM

I find it odd that you want to play RPG's on consoles. All my RPG's are on PC. Well, I got Paper Mario 2 the other day and haven't played it yet, and I completely forgot about Chronotrigger and Chronocross when I typed this.
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#32 User is offline   Heccubus Icon

• Ugh.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator

Posted 23 December 2004 - 11:27 AM

Two things:
-There should be a neutral option
-No PC? The PC has a pretty hefty number of solid titles available for it, and I think it should've been included simply because of that.

Either way, I have no opinion. To me, each console is geared towards a different group of people. The GameCube definitely has its mature titles, but the majority of its fare seemes to be geared towards a younger audience, which is something that Nintendo has been doing for years. The PS2 has its niche titles, the largest selection of RPGs, and the largest library. It seems best suited for either open-minded gamers who like "different" games (ie: DDR, the EyeToy feature, etc) or RPGs, or the casual gamer who just likes to tool around a little bit. The XBox definitely has the hardcore in mind, as it does have the most open-ended modding capabilities (PS2 is insanely difficult to mod, and the Cube...well...few really seem to have tried), as well as the most well-rounded online experience. I currently don't own any consoles, as none have anything in particular that interests me at the moment. My PS2 was sold when I became dismayed at the sudden emphasis that Sony was putting on its online program, my Gamecube was sold after completing the game that I bought it for (Wind Waker), and I've never owned an XBox. I don't really have any interest in the XBox. There are virtually no titles for it that interest me even in the slightest.

#33 User is offline   looktothesky Icon

• Tudo Bem.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 24 December 2004 - 11:33 AM

QUOTE (Laughlyn @ Dec 23 2004, 06:34 AM)
It's odd that the thing that lured me to most formats is the sega games: JSRF, Panzer dragoon, Skies of arcadia, PSO (-O because it's the GC version), and a bunch of THQ published knockoffs on the GBA.

Ah, if only sega had stayed in the hardware market.

Fortunately my back catalogue keeps me warm on these long winter nights.

I liked PSO a lot better when it was on the Dreamcast. I used to play it all the time... but since I didn't have a good internet connection, and my copy was pre-owned, I couldn't go online with it...

Dreamcast was ahead of its time though, but its still a really good console. If only they'd re-release more of its titles? Sega Bass Fishing? C'mon..!!
PRECIOUS VELIUS....

#34 User is offline   Al Creed Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 24 December 2004 - 12:39 PM

Nintendo is one of the few corporations I show any sort of loyalty to. Gotta go with the GameCube.

#35 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • Group: Admin

Posted 27 December 2004 - 09:44 AM

QUOTE (Al Creed @ Dec 24 2004, 12:39 PM)
Nintendo is one of the few corporations I show any sort of loyalty to.  Gotta go with the GameCube.

I feel that way as well (mostly due to the NES and its influence on my development as a child wink.gif) but Nintendo's just made some questionable and dumb moves in the past few years. I'm wondering how much longer they are going to be in the consol market, particularly if they continue to ignore the importance of online gaming.
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#36 User is offline   Shawnathan Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 27 December 2004 - 06:42 PM

Nintendo shows the way for me, I'd play 'Super Mario Bros. 3' over 'Tomb Raider' and frackin day.

Violence in games isn't what should be mainly expected in games, even though I do like it. What should be expect is games that you can go back and play over and over again.

I want to play a game and get pissed off at it, not say "Ahh who cares! I can just load my last save!". I'm a weird one aren't I?
--Idiotic Inc. "Teaching Cheerleaders to use birth control since 2004"
--They Call Him Rick: I'm telling you, it's not that bad

#37 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof

Posted 28 December 2004 - 08:01 AM

I honestly don't see the attraction to online games. In my(admitidly limited)experience, they're quite boring in comparison to single player, or playing with your friends in the room.
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#38 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 28 December 2004 - 11:53 AM

Did you know the most succesful console of all time is the GAMEBOY. Its sold the most units, made the most money, and been around the longest (1987-present)

I have my dreamcast and am happy with that. I tend to play games for along time. For instance, I just quite the warcraft series and have now moved on to ROME TOTAL WAR(the best rts out there hands down)

I don't see any difference between the x-box and ps2. I've played both, there is no fucking difference in graphics or anything! It seems all the hot titles are released for both systems, so where is the advantage?

Remember when SNES duked it out with Genesis. When it came to arcade games the SNES that was far superior. Most of the arcade games that trasfered over to the consoles where shitty adaptions, but SNES was always the best. Genesis always made better sports games as I recall. Madden and Fifa soccer games from back in the mid 90's are still fun to play, kinda.

I will never forget the infamous mortal kombat adaptions. SNES had better graphics, sound, and gameplay, but unfortunetly for SNES owners, it had no blood. Genesis had inferior graphics and sound, the game play was so so, but it had blood. When it came down to the reviews (EGM), Genesis won. I was so happy because I owned a Genesis.

Any how, point I was trying to make is that game consoles are all the same now.

This post has been edited by Jordan: 28 December 2004 - 11:54 AM

Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#39 User is offline   WhoCares Icon

• New Cop
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 29 December 2004 - 07:56 AM

I say that the x-box is a better system. I just wonder what would have happened if SEGA would still alive, at their time Genesis and Dreamcast kicked ass and I still love them both more than any other console.

#40 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof

Posted 29 December 2004 - 10:58 AM

Odd. Here the Sega Genius was called the Sega Megadrive. Does anybody know why?

And the SNES version of the MK games had blood. Yay PAL!

#41 User is offline   floppydisk Icon

• The Amazing Bag-Man!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Movies. Books. Video Games.

Posted 29 December 2004 - 12:01 PM

I have to give the nod to the Gamecube. Unlike the other systems, gamecube recieves less titles, but the larger percent of them are high-quality games.

I think part ot is is that since the other two systems are more popular, the publishers figure they can shovel more shit out to an unsuspecting public who will buy it. They get higher sales on a larger audience.

But if for one game, I might have bought an X-box. SUPER SMASH BROS. MEELE. That game OWNS! It beats out any other game for my favorite except mabye Advance Wars.

Also only on the GC:

Luigis Mansion (Short, but quite fun)
Metroid Prime
Resident Evil (The remake)
Zelda: Wind Waker. I didn't like it, but apparently everyone else in the universe did. The gameplay was alright, but I just couldn't take the storyline seriously, especially with the art. And that goddamn boat!
QUOTE (Theodor Herzl)
If you will it, it is no dream.

#42 User is offline   Slade Icon

• Full of Bombs and/or Keys
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 30 December 2004 - 02:50 AM

Uh oh. Here comes my ranting.

I have always been a hardc0rz0r Nintendo fan. They put forth the highest quality game there is 99% of the time. I liked Wind Waker, but it didn't have the same feel that Ocarina of Time did. Didn't have enough dungeons. I love my adventure puzzles, and Zelda is one huge adventure puzzles. But it seemed too centered on crusing around the ocean looking for heart pieces. And while I'm proud of myself for finding almost everything in the game without help (With the exception of 3 heart pieces and a few treasure charts), I would much have rather gone through another 5 beautifully crafted dungeons though. Don't get me wrong, the dungeons that were there kicked ass (although the mirror shield wasn't as cool looking as OoT), but there weren't enough. And I don't want to talk about Majora's Mask. At all.

Other GC only games:
Eternal Darkness (Sweet flaming baby Jesus, a must own game)
MGS:Twin Snakes
Viewtiful Joe (Oh wait, those assholes ported it to PS2. Damn you, Capcom!)
Wario Ware:Mega Pary Game$ Inc.
Super Smash Bros. Melee

And we can't forget the Dreamcast ports.

I obviously voted for my scratched up 'Cube. XBOX has power, but not many good exclusive games (some even run better on the other systems). PS2 has the sheer volume, but most are ports that are also on a 'Cube or XBOX. Lots of the big hits are also on PC too...

Oh, and I dislike the RE series because of the dreadful tank-like controls, but that game had the most beautiful graphics I've ever seen in any game ever. It was like playing in a Blizzard cinematic sequence, with captions for voices.
This space for rent. Inquire within.

#43 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof

Posted 30 December 2004 - 05:45 AM

To be honest, the only games that I would buy for the Xbox are KotOR and Morrowind, both of which are better on my PC.

And Eternal Darkness just fucking rocks.

#44 User is offline   Heccubus Icon

• Ugh.

Posted 03 January 2005 - 04:24 AM

You have to give Nintendo credit for trying new things, though. The DS is a remarkable piece of equipment. I'm curious to see what they do with it.
My only beef with Nintendo from recent years: the price of the NES re-releases for the GBA. $40 my foot. They could've at least bundled them into one super game or something.

#45 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof

Posted 03 January 2005 - 05:41 AM

Lets face it, it's the only way they make money. The crowds are brainwashed into getting the Xbox and PS2, so all Nintendo have left is the classics. Have to milk them for all they're worth just to survive.

• (5 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size